Tag the world celebrity triathalon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 54s
Overall Rank = 62/174
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/20
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site and got body marked and set up transition. Pretty small transition area. Made the obligatory rest room stop.
Event warmup:

Short jog and stretched. Got in the water and swam a little to warm up.
Swim
  • 14m 1s
  • 766 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was high tide so there wasn't much chance of hitting reef on the swim this time which was good. There were still some pretty good size rollers coming in that you might catch a break or two depending on where you were. I had a bit of difficulty breathing because of a cold coming on, so I never got comfortable. In any case, the water was a little bit better than Tinman. One negative, they kind of got the guys out into the water too early. We ended up treading water for almost 10 minutes before they started.
What would you do differently?:

Practice...
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Had a decent T-1. I might have been a little faster if I hadn't been struggling t catch my breath as a result of the aforementioned cold setting in.

Nothing. Not much I could have done about the cold.
Bike
  • 41m 2s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a great course design since the uphills started getting a little clogged as the slower riders/swimmers got on the course. Also ended up getting clogged with the Sunday recreational bike riders that were on the road. Had a wipeout occur on the road about 100 yds in front of me (young kid/competitor took out 3 or 4 adults).
Road conditions: Mostly good except along Paki and Kalakaua which were pretty rough.

Nothing except maybe a little more hill training before this race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Would have broken one minute except the bike in lane was narrow and I got stuck behind another competitor who was taking his time going into transition and he wouldn't get out of my way. Had a great dismount (probably one of my best ever) as I was just flying and lost little speed/momentum jumping off the bike.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Had one small equipment difficulty. My Zoot laces came undone and I had to stop and cinch them up and tuck the ends back in about 3/4 mile into the run.
Decent run, there were a lot of local tourist traffic on the sidewalk and a lot of Sunday joggers around the park.

Check the dang laces when I put the shoes on...
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, walked around

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold coming on and training

Event comments:

This is the first triathlon/distance event that I have ever competed in that didn't have munchies for the athletes after the finish!! No fruit, bagels, anything. There was water and gatorade and from what I heard, they ran out of cups. Oh, there was food to buy... Also, I was #62 out of 174 overall finishers and the 48th man and they were out of men's large T-shirts when I got in...again...what the heck is up with that!!! Also, not crazy about the long narrow bike-in/bike-out chute. and on a final note...pretty disappointed in the "celebrity" turnout. Petty I know when I was there to do a race...but say that certain celebrities were committed to come and they don't show...just one more indicator of the organization of the event. I'd cut them some slack since this was the first event for them, but they did have Pacific Sport Events there and those guys do a few of these races every year, not sure how much the Tag organization used their knowledge when organizing this event. Will probably think twice about doing this one again next year...if there is a next year for this one.

Last updated: 2009-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:01 | 766 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 20/174
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Very similar to Tinman. Out and back at Queen's Beach except there were two buoys to round at the turn around point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:02 | 12 miles | 17.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/20
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 3 loops around Diamond Head; uphill leg near the beginning of the loop and there were a couple of good downhills (my Garmin clocked me at 35.2 mph ging down one hill).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:30 | 03.11 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/20
Performance: Good
Course: Flat loop around Kapiolani Park (not a hill in sight). Nice run course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 10:50 PM

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Subject: Tag the world around

2009-08-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2368290

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tag the world around
Nice race Sam. Looks like you had pretty good results, even considering all the "challenges". Glad you mentioned the Zoots. I haven't had that problem yet, but now I know to look for it.
2009-08-25 9:02 PM

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina

Great race. I love reading the race reports that everyone posts. Before I started triathlons, posts from you and others gave great insight to each race and I learned from everyone's experiences.
Not a bad ending to the season. I look forward to next year.
I wonder if next year will be any better organized for this one.

2009-08-27 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2370728

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
One can only hope they'll be beter organized next year...
2009-08-28 3:24 AM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Nice race, Sam especially with all the issues ~ how frustrating!  You just need to be in a different age group!   After reading all the crap you dealt with on this one, you make it so that I'm not so upset about missing it. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tag the world around Rss Feed