General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could My Riding Be Detrimental? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-26 9:25 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Could My Riding Be Detrimental?
Hello All,

So I just started getting in shape and working towards my goals in becoming a triathlete. Problem is the bike I have now is REALLY bad, and I just wanted to know if riding it could be bad for me. Here are some of the things that I think could be bad.

1. Its a mountain bike. I am not in the position that exists when you are riding a road bike. I am wondering if this could lead to a kind of "starting over"  or "re-learning" period that could be prolonged by continual riding on the mountain bike. ( I know riding a road bike will be different then riding a mountain bike and will take some getting used to, but I dont want my current situation to be a hinderance to becoming better on a road bike).

2. The bike I have doesnt shift. My cadence can be really fast to really slow, dependent on where I am in the ride. I was wondering if this is bad for me at all?

3. The bike is WAYY to small. I am almost "eating my knees". Could this be bad also?

My initial thought was " Hey, I am out there doing my thing, putting in time and bringing my endurance up", but then I got to thinking and had the aforementioned questions and wanted to make sure I am doing this right.

Please, if you have any comments please let me know.

PS. I am getting a road bike in about 3 weeks...so

2009-08-26 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2371383

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Could My Riding Be Detrimental?
1.  Your position on a road bike will be different.  But your legs still move in circles.  Riding is better than not riding.

2.  Working different cadences is a good thing.  Might make some hills very tough, though.

3.  This is the only item I see a problem with.  You could hurt your knees if the bike is really too small.  Can you adjust the seat and/or handlebar height to make it work better for the next 3 weeks?  If not, perhaps start with swimming and running for now.
2009-08-26 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
if you are getting a road bike in 3 weeks I would just focus on running and swimming until then and maybe just go for an easy ride once a week to spin the legs a little.  Your way-to-small bike shouldn't cause injury, but won't feel good for sure!  Options:  Can you raise your seat up?  Do you belong to a gym or have access to a stationary?  Can you borrow a road bike that fits you OK  for a few weeks ?

Don't sweat 3 weeks.
2009-08-26 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
mmproch - 2009-08-26 8:25 AM
PS. I am getting a road bike in about 3 weeks...so

Unless you're having pain in your knees or your back, IMO three weeks is fine. IMO, at beginning/intermediate levels any time you're turning over your feet in a cycling motion you're doing something positive for your cycling. It's certainly not optimal but also not "detrimental".

OTOH, if you do get knee pain, I'd quit immediately and just wait for your well fitted road bike.
2009-08-26 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Beijing
And good grief, hit those shifter cables with some sort of lubricant.  WD40 will be GREAT if you're just using it for 3 weeks.       Stuck cables are probably the #1 cause for a bike not shifting.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could My Riding Be Detrimental? Rss Feed