FIRM
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 50m 17s
Overall Rank = 110/400
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/40
Pre-race routine:

Woke-up at 4:30 and took quick shower. Had toast and coffee for breakfast (a normal breakfast for me). Loaded-up the car and headed out to Sudbury around 5:30. Got to the set-up area around 6am. The organizers were just getting there and seemed to be rushing to get things ready. On the other hand, my brother-in-law (also doing the race) and I seemed to be there way too early, and had nothing but time on our hands.

Once the transition are was assembled, we got our stuff laid out and walked around until race time.
Event warmup:

Jogged a bit.
Swim
  • 08m 13s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

New to swimming this year, I had overestimated my swim time significantly when I registered for the race a couple of months ago. At the time I registered I was doing 400 yds in around 8 minutes. A week ago I did 400 in 6:35. I tried changing my predicted time with the organizers, but it never happened. So I knew that I was going to run into some serious traffic during the race that would slow me down. I ended up passing four people, which required some fancy maneuvering. People were not waiting at the end of the lap for quicker swimmers to pass, so I had to draft until I saw it was clear to pass them in the lane.

What would you do differently?:

Overall I'm happy with my swim--especially considering that I couldn't swim 50 yards straight back in January. I'd rather be passing people than getting passed.

I do need to work hard at getting faster. Need more time in the pool...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 is included in the bike segment (annoying!)

I wish FIRM would use a timing system that separated out the transitions.

As far as how T1 went, there are definitely steps I that I need to eliminate that slowed me down. For example, since we started with a pool swim, I didn't put on a jersey until T1. Next time I would wear a tri shirt for the swim. I also question the need for socks. And I should put my glasses on while riding the bike.

Bike
  • 21m 17s
  • 7 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

As I anticipated, the bike was my strongest segment. Still it took a lot out of me, leaving too little (keep reading) for the run.

I need to start training! I've only done a few rides this year, and none over 14 miles. My biking will only continue to improve.

Considering that I'm riding on a road bike with no aero bars, I actually think my pace was decent. Next year a tri-bike is a must.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Included in run time.

My T2 time was good. I tossed all my bike stuff down, put on my shoes and went. Having speed laces was definitely helpful.
Run
  • 20m 47s
  • 2.3 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I really felt the pain on the run. My legs were shot. Calves were crampy. It took at least a mile to get into the run. For the last mile I felt pretty good, and my pace definitely quickened. I would have performed overall better had the run been longer and I had the chance to continue at my improving pace.

With fresh legs I could have done that run in about 7 minute miles, so I was clearly undertrained.

Need to start running more in my training and doing more bricks. Train, train, train!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit and had a recovery drink. My wife, 15 month-old daughter, brother-in-law and his wife were waiting for me at the finish line.

My brother-in-law, a former high school and college swimmer/water polo player, had started way before I did and end-up with a very solid race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inadequate training. This is my first year doing triathlons, and I'm learning a lot as I go. I really need to step-up my training in all three categories.

Bottom line though: I had a great time, and I'm hooked!

Last updated: 2005-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:13 | 400 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/40
Overall: 205/400
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Course was a pool swim that zig-zagged from lane to lane. Athletes were started at 20 sec intervals, going in order of predicted time with the fastest swimmers going first.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:21:17 | 07 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/40
Overall: 36/400
Performance: Good
Again, this includes the T1 time, so the bike time is falsely elevated.
Wind: Some
Course: 3.5 mile loop x2.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:47 | 02.3 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/40
Overall: 110/400
Performance: Bad
Course: Single loop course. A couple of rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-16 4:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Subject: My first Tri - Sudbury Sprint

2005-05-16 4:49 PM
in reply to: #158583

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: My first Tri - Sudbury Sprint

GOOD JOB! Probably by now you are hooked!!! You had an awesome pace at the bike portion. Keep up with the training and you will improve in all areas for sure in no time. I also leave in boston, where do you usually train? I belong to a couple of tri teams so we have group training session during the week and weekends. If you need extra motivation let me know and I can send you the info.

CONGRATS!!!

2005-05-16 7:09 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome race and congrats on your first tri!!  Whens the next race?
2005-05-16 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Thanks for the kind words! Can't wait for my next race. I've signed-up for the Try-The-Tri Sprint in Bristol, RI on July 9.

Amiine--I actually live out in Framingham, so I do most of my training out there. What clubs are you a member of? I'm thinking of joining Vibe Multisport. They seem to do a lot of group training (including a swim a Walden pond this weekend). I'll PM this to you in case you don't come back to this thread.

2005-05-16 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Great job!! Nice first tri!! 

I have done a few FIRM races and they are all the same, same pet peeves but overall soem good races. Oh., their 1/2 IM does do a transition time but the rest dont.,
2005-05-16 9:12 PM
in reply to: #158735

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Congrats!

It's a great race to start the year.  Sounds like you're hooked!

2005-05-17 8:59 AM
in reply to: #158761

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Grear first race....    It is a great thing to finish and look forward to the next one...

Congratulations
2006-05-15 8:49 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Triathlete!!

Smoking time on the bike...wow and this was your first race.

I'm doing Try the Tri in June for the third year. Warning the beach/swim has lots of yucky sharp stuff. First year I wore socks and last year I bought wetsuit booties that I wore and they were the envy of many. The one time I swam there in my barefeet I got 4 cuts on one foot. The swim varies in length depending if the tide is in or out. That race is a bit disorganized...don't be surprised...but the course is flat and great for a fast bike and run!

Lots to be proud of and I can tell you are hooked. Think of signing up for a Oly...many of the MA BTers are doing Cranberry in late August!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My first Tri - Sudbury Sprint Rss Feed