Tri Blue Sky
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 43s
Overall Rank = 253/474
Age Group = Female 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Up early. Drank coffee, had bagel w/jelly. Drank bottle of gatorade on the way. Double caffiene tangerine powergel 30 minutes before start. I was flying solo today since my Hubby had to work. At least I got to blast The Hives on the way up!
Event warmup:

Walking around in the water and generally moving around.
Swim
  • 16m 10s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt like I could have gone faster, but I couldn't get around some people. I also tended to steer the wrong way. I have to work on my navigational skills. Overall, though, I felt comfortable in the water. I was pretty slow going up the hill b/c I hate splinters. I could have tried to go a little faster.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive about passing and ignore the threat of splinters.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I couldn't seem to get the shoes upright long enough to get my foot in before they flopped back over. I'm going to try rubber banding them upright and practice that. That time wasn't included in T1, though, and overall, I felt like I did well. It took some extra time to get the bark off my feet, but I'd rather be sure to get it all off than to have splinters in me!

Use rubber bands to keep shoes upright until I'm in and pedaling.
Bike
  • 45m
  • 12.8 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Can you say hills? I LOVED IT! I never thought I'd do so well since I don't train on a lot of hills, but I kicked butt! I was especially happy to pass so many people on the downhills b/c they coasted while I kept pumping. Speed was somewhat reduced by how crowded the field was. It was hard not to draft (they didn't call any drafting penalties), especially on the uphills where you couldn't afford to sacrifice your momentum.

Be careful about drinking & gels. I think the combo of a gel & gatorade was too much. I felt overloaded afterwards.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I tend to be a little timid coming into the transition area b/c I don't want to get dinged with a penalty, so I don't dismount very quickly, but I thought I did well. I was actually the 2nd fastest in my age group!

Practice dismounting quickly.
Run
  • 28m 22s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I had trouble with lots of side stitches during the run, but still did well for me. The trail running made me nervous b/c the roots are a twisted ankle waiting to happen. A lot of what I gained on the bike I gave back on the run.

Do more trail running & speedwork. Work on finding solutions to my cramping.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around looking for Diet Coke that wasn't there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much nutrition during the bike.

Event comments:

As usual, biking is my strong point, followed by running & swimming respectively. It looks like I may be able to place in my age group with some more speed work, especially in the pool and on the track. Who knew I could actually be doing so well?! I hadn't planned on doing anymore sprints this season but I may try to sneak one more in towards the end so I can try to place!

I liked the course but I'm not thrilled with the race producers. My first tri had much better after race food & organization. I look forward to doing another tri with another production company so I can compare!

Last updated: 2005-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:10 | 600 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 0/474
Performance: Average
Time is misleading b/c after we got out of the lake, we had to run up a mulched (and painful) trail to get to the transition area. My swim time was likely closer to 13-14 min or 2.16 - 2.33 per 100.
Suit: Tri suit - no wetsuit
Course: Triangular - out, around big buoys and back to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:00 | 12.8 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/17
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops of nothing but hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:22 | 03.1 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/17
Course: On a trail in the woods, over roots, up to a turnaround and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-16 4:53 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Ft. Yargo Tri the Parks

2005-05-16 6:02 PM
in reply to: #158617

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: RE: Ft. Yargo Tri the Parks
Great race, Whit!  I heard you screaming at encouraging the finishers as they came in.  You were really supportive and ran a great race!  Thanks for the help at the finish!
2005-05-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: #158663

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

Eek!  I hope I didn't overdo it with the hollering.  I just get so excited when people finish.  Also, I felt like there were a lot of people just standing around that could have been clapping.  A few times during the race I wanted to turn to some spectators and ask for them to cheer us on.  Spectators were much more involved in my first race and I was a little surprised at how stand-offish they were at this one.  Since I came to this tri by myself, I got to stay until the results were posted.  I had been watching people and noticed a guy that I figured was the last.  He finally came in as everyone was crowded around the results, not watching.  I was happy that I saw him come in and could get everyone to cheer him on.  I like to cheer for people and I hope I can convince my Hubby to stay late with me next time.

Can't wait to see you at another race!

2005-05-18 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Great race Whit!! Looks like you have a good list of stuff to practice for your next tri

-Frank
2005-05-18 8:06 PM
in reply to: #159465

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Whit - 2005-05-18 10:25 AM

Eek! I hope I didn't overdo it with the hollering. I just get so excited when people finish.

No, not all!  It wasn't annoying; it was motivating!  Like you said, at least someone was doing it!
2005-05-19 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Very cool, Whitney.  Great race.  I wish I could have been there, sounds like it was a great time.  I hope to see you and the rest of the Atlanta BT crew at Indian Springs next month.  Time for you, however, to bask in the glory.

2005-05-19 4:10 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great job, Whit!!! Wish I could have been there but I was spinning for 6 hours on a stationary bike.

You got 4th! Congrats!!! You kicked *ss. I'll see you at the next one.

-Bethany

2005-05-19 8:16 PM

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Way to go Whit! I wanted to do Yargo but my son graduated from UGA the same day. I went right past the park turn off of 316 right about the time the race started. I'll be at Mistletoe in a couple of weeks, how about you?
2005-05-20 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Excellent triathlon Whit .... congratulations.
2005-05-20 1:35 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
As one of the last guys (well, the one of the last guys who wasn't 84 or something), I know I appreciated the encouragement of both you and Hawkeye (who stayed and ran me in). Even now that I'm a MOP for 10k's, I still enjoy staying until the end for the same reason, and I can tell you, it really does make a difference.

See y'all out in Mistletoe?

Josh

2005-05-21 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

WAY TO GO, WHIT!!

That's a kick butt age group placing! 

Hope you eventually found some DC...how dare they not have any after you worked so hard?

Jen

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ft. Yargo Tri the Parks Rss Feed