White Mountain Road Club
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 26s
Overall Rank = 11/35
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a piece of toast and stopped at Starbucks on the way out to the race start. It's so gorgeous up in Prescott and enjoyed to ride out to to Skull Valley.
Event warmup:

Since I figured I had 55 miles to go I would just warm up on when the race started. Met Andy (the guilty party for suggesting I sign up for this) and Dustin before the race start. They split the Cat 5 group into an A and B groups since they had more than 50 Cat 5 sign up. There was about 35 per group. Andy was in group A and Dustin and me in group B.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 26s
  • 55 miles
  • 21.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Since this was my first attempt at a road race I was very cautious with the other riders not to get in their way. It was a nice and easy roll out for the first 8 miles and then the first hill climb split the group. Dustin fell back and I waited a bit and thought he would just catch up on the way back down the hill. After mile 10 it was a free for all and had no idea what I was doing. Every time I caught a group it would split on the hills and I would find myself all alone and was wishing for my aerobars. Dustin's wife was kind enough to hand me a bottle of water at the turn around and was very grateful since it was getting hot by then. The turnaround was fun since it was at the bottom of a 3 mile climb back out. I came up to Andy and we tried a small pace line with another rider and that worked ok until we got to a few more jumping in. I couldn't figure out how to stay put in the line since I am use to holding a specific power. So there I was by myself and figured I would finish the race this way. I didn't really have a goal for this race but learn something new and not do anything stupid. I averaged 300 watts on this course and that felt about right since I didn't have anything left at the end.
What would you do differently?:

I am so impressed with those riders. After the race all I could do was try to figure out where my little training wheels would go. I can't wait to do more of these races and try not to feel so embarrassed. Learn group riding techniques and pacing strategies with a team.
Post race
Warm down:

Tossed the bike in the truck and headed back towards Starbucks for a refill.

Last updated: 2009-07-27 12:00 AM
Biking
02:33:26 | 55 miles | 21.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 11/35
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was an out and back from Skull Valley, AZ. It was primarily downhill out and climbing back in. My Garmin said 2,750 feet of climbing.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 11:11 AM

User image

Regular
Tempe
Subject: Skull Valley Road Race

2009-08-31 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2380389

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Subject: RE: Skull Valley Road Race

NOw that sounded like a lot of fun..  Great job on a new adventure..

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skull Valley Road Race Rss Feed