United States
East Grand Rapids
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

For some reason I was not really all that motivated about this race. I have been busy at work and haven't been training a ton. Got up around 5:15 and got to the venue at 6:15. Got set up, talked to a few people and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

None to speak of. I jogged a little bit to find a bathroom without a line, does that count as a backup?
Swim
  • 16m 10s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since I started doing triathlons last summer, I have always been a lousy swimmer. Last year this swim took me 30 minutes (no thats not a typo). However, I was happy with my swim performance today. Only problem was getting kicked and hit like 4 times by the same guy in the first 100 yards who was doing breakstroke. I passed him and didn't have too much more bumping the rest of the way. My goal time for the swim was 20 minutes so I have no complaints.
What would you do differently?:

I went a little bit wide after the first turn going to the second buoy, probably could have saved some time by swimming more straight at it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I had no issues getting my wetsuit off and felt my actual transition was pretty good. However, this is a big race with a huge transition area so the trot with my bike to the mount line was a long one. During this time, I noticed my aero bottle was coming loose from the bracket so I just pulled it off and sat it off to the side. I am about ready to be done with that thing. I figured for 18 miles I didn't need to drink on the bike.

I think being able leave the shoes on the bike in a race like this would save a significant amount of time. Maybe I will have to practice this next year.
Bike
  • 56m 35s
  • 18 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I really don't get this but this is the third race in a row that I have noticed this. When I get on the bike, I am winded from the swim and really have a hard time pushing the pace. It takes somewhere around 7-8 miles for me to start feeling normal and actually start pushing on the bike. That probably means I need to get my swim conditioning better. However, I am happy with my overall performance and was right at my goal time of 57 minutes.

I have begun to realize I need to bike more. I look at other people's logs and see most have logged 2X more miles than I have this year. Based on where I am right now, I am happy with this bike split.
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

I thought this went fairly quickly but I did take time to put on socks. Again its a large transition so there was a lot of time in transit.

Maybe I need to start going without socks.
Run
  • 51m 48s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a great run for me. I was not feeling great and just took the pace really easy. My goal time was 49 minutes so I didn't get it done here.

Run more/bike more
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and a bagel, walked around a bit then packed up and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have really begun to realize that I just don't train enough to be much fater than I am. I have been averaging 100 miles on the bike and 40 miles running a month. I was talking to some guy before the race and this was his first triathlon, he told me he had already logged like 2200 miles this year, I haven't even done half that. If I want to get faster, those numbers should probably be doubled if not tripled but between work/kids/family life not sure I have the time to do that. For now, I will just be content to hang out in the back of the pack.

Event comments:

I like this race. It is well organized and well ran. My only complaint is the bike course and the crappy roads.

Last updated: 2009-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:10 | 880 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Full
Course: U shaped course marked with 2 bouys at the corners.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:35 | 18 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Winding course around the lake then an out and back on Fulton Street. To be honest, I do not like this bike. The roads are not in good shape and most of the course is up or down hill.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:48 | 05 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Run around the lake through neighborhoods, some rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-12 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Subject: Reeds Lake Triathlon

2009-09-12 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2402246

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
Subject: RE: Reeds Lake Triathlon
Craig:  I suspect I might be the person you were referring to in the swim.  My stroke is like a frog, but I waited to the back of the pack because I'm so slow.  (21 min swim).
My apologies.

I'm with you, if I want to get faster, I've got to train more.  Too bad I've got work/life/family. 

Hope to see you next year.

Ethan
2009-09-12 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Ethan,
It wasn't you, I was in the 9th wave and I see you were in the 8th.  No worries anyway, thats what you get with a crowded swim start.  I suspect you were one of those dudes that went flying by me on the run however.  I am always so envious watching guys just fly by me when I am struggling to run 10 min/miles.  Great race. 
2009-09-12 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2402410

User image

Regular
Rockford, MI
That's cool, but don't be so sure it wasn't me.  I think everyone in the 9th wave passed me while I was still in the water.  I don't recall kicking anyone, but who knows.  Anyway, I wish I could swim faster.  It was a great race for my first tri ever.
2009-09-13 2:32 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Way to go Craig, almost cutting your swim time in half is huge!!!!  Your race went well, but you need to get the hydration fixed on the bike as even a short ride can have a negative impact on your run without proper hydration!!!  You've come a long way this season, even with life getting in the way from time to time. 

Best thing I did 2 years ago was to all but live on the bike in the basement over the winter!  Worse thing I did was not repeating this past winter!

2009-09-13 9:38 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Good job out there Craig. I looked for you, but with close to 1000 others out there, I didn't see many people I recognized. Great improvement on the swim. Kevin

2009-09-14 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Holy cow Craig, you're swim was fantastic and a very solid bike and run. Way to go. We all want to go faster; we are all so  blessed to be able to do these events and even little improvements are to be savored.  Agree with Ken on hydration aspect, i purchased a holder for my profile aero bottle and have not had any problems so far except some rattling on bumpy roads. Again congrats on a great swim and race !!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reeds Lake Triathlon Rss Feed