General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleghorn Harvest Fest Bicycle Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleghorn Harvest Fest Bicycle Race - CycleRoad Race

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cleghorn, Wisconsin
United States
Cleghorn Lions Club
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 15m
Overall Rank = 28/56
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Sat night I packed everything for the day, mixed up the pancake batter, and ground the coffee. I got up at 5:30, started to coffee pot and got the pncakes going. At 6:30 I was off for the meeting spot at Woodale Church. Randel and I rode with Adam and had a great conversation on the way down.
Event warmup:

After registering we got on the bikes and rode out the course for a few miles and few hills. I did not remember how hilly the start was:( We rolled back through the start finish line and then rode back up the end of the course - I wanted to spot my sprint mark :)
Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 21 miles
  • 21.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This race was a three part race. The rolling first third, the middle third with the hill and then the last third with one hill.

It was a neutral roll out staying at about 15 -16 until we all got past the first corner (about three blocks in). Nobody went out front and ramped the pace up so it was pretty subdued the first mile (and over the first hill). We were three abrest and I was in the third row back in the middle tucked in pack. I didn't care if they wantede to ride the whole race at that pace (I knew the hills were coming).

After the first hill a team came up from the back and ramped it up to about 20 mph. I held my position and to be honest felt dang good. I would fluctuate from 3-8 bikes back depending if we were 3 or 2 wide.

As we came into the next 90 degree corner the guys up front laid down a sprint coming out of it. I was about 20 feet back from the front. This was the point I was dropped last year and in my mind I yelled "Not this time" and drilled a sprint to keep me on the lead pack.

the next few miles until we hit the hills were a series of little rollers and a very good pace. I was feeling great about being in the pack yet.

The first real hill came after a 90 degree turn (which meant sprint) I dumped alot of my energy in staying with the pack on this hill. I knew I was in trouble as my HRM was beeping (meaning I was over 90 %). We crested the hill into a fals flat and then another hill. This is where i dropped Randell last year. He returned the favor this year. I was dropped and Randell was driving the second pack which was a bout 50 yds infront of me. I just didn't have the energy to bridge to them.

From this point on it was going to be a time trial. I kept looking back but there was nobody behind me. I hate being good enough to almost hang with the lead guys but yet a lot better that the slower guys that were totally blown out at this point. I settled into my time trail pace and was cruising along at between 19 and 20 mph.

Once I entered the last third of the race I kept looking back to see if anyone was catching me. last year Randel run me down and beat my by 4 secs. Nobody was doing that again.

As we neared the last hill I could see a biker clsoing the gap on me. Crap not again was running through my mind. I drilled the last hill with all I had I I could see the orange cones that marked the finish chute. By God nobody was gonna pass me and I hunkered down and just went harder and harder. I went through the finish at about 30 mph.

The kid chasing me caught me on my cool down and told me he thought he was gonna roll me in but when I blasted up that hill he knew I was gone!

After looking at the race results I finished less than a sec in front of the guy behind me I bet he was on my right side and I was blinded to him looking over my left shoulder! The guy I was worried about was 19 secs back!
What would you do differently?:

Better and more consistant training thorugh the summer
Post race
Warm down:

I rode around a bit at a slow pace to let my legs unwind. I found some water and down a couple of bottles (my shorts had white salt stains from the sweat.) We went back to the car and changed shoes and walked around looking for and watch some of our other teamates finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My over all training. I did not have enough hill training to climb well enough to hang with the pack.

Event comments:

They had a great festival with good food going on - including beer!

Last updated: 2009-09-08 12:00 AM
Biking
01:00:00 | 21 miles | 21.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 0/56
Performance: Good
179 max mph 154 ave 90 min Max mph 34.4
Wind: Little
Course: BEAUTIFUL RURAL ROADS! some nice rollers and and couple of good hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: Cleghorn Harvest Fest Bicycle Race

2009-09-14 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2404172

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Cleghorn Harvest Fest Bicycle Race
AWESOME way to end the season!  Way to fight through and give everything you've got.  You'd BETTER be proud of yourself for your performance!
2009-09-14 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job!!

2010-01-12 9:42 PM

Great report!  Thanks for coming!  I have published a new web site for the race: http://cleghornbikerace.com check it out!  As with all sites, it is work in progress, but most of the content is in place.

Hope to see you and you team in 2010!

Jim Blodgett
President, Overdrive Cycling (http://overdrivecycling.com)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleghorn Harvest Fest Bicycle Race Rss Feed