Age Group Rank = 23/27
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 09m 23s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

First 200 yards was fine (3:55), felt like crap the last 200. Don't know why. Alternated between freestyle and breast. Took over 5 minutes to swim the second 200.
What would you do differently?:

Don't know, since I'm not sure why I felt so badly. I'll eat differently next time (had a breakfast burrito pre-race) and see if that helps.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Had a hell of a time getting my feet into the shoes, enough that I lost my concentration and rode into a curb right outside of T1 (naturally, right after I got my second foot into the shoe, so I was clipped in when the bike fell).

Not sure. It was my first time trying to get pseudo-wet feet into my shoes like that, so the way I had practiced it all the times leading up to today wasn't really helpful.
Bike
  • 53m 41s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

The fall on the bike also stopped my timer, which I did not notice until about 4 miles in. So, my cadence and HR data is incomplete. The hills were harder than I expected, and my overall pace was way below what I was hoping for (and way below what I've been averaging in training)

Train harder on hills. Also, I didn't taper at all for this race, since I was just doing it for the experience/practice, and had a very hard leg conditioning workout yesterday at kung fu. If I were doing this race "for real," all of those things would be different as well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Some jackass had racked their bike right in the middle of my transition area, so I had to move it a little to make room for my bike, and to be able to get to my shoes (which otherwise had been very strategically placed). I tried to take to much stuff with me as I set out moving (hat, number belt) and dropped the belt.

Next time, I'll put my hat on on before I get moving so I have two hands to deal with the race belt.
Run
  • 29m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Slower than I wanted, but as fast as my legs were going to let me go today.

Same as the bike. If I were really worried about my time, I'd taper and I wouldn't workout the day prior.
Post race
Event comments:

My first one, but seemed extremely well organized. The bike course was especially well run, considering that none of the roads were closed, and we had to move from right to left across several multi-lane roads in order to make turns. Plenty of Police/volunteer support to keep us safe. I would highly recommend this race to others. It's hard (they kept saying it's one of the hardest sprint distance races in the state), but it was fun and well put together.

Last updated: 2009-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:23 | 400 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/181
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:53:41 | 14 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Avg HR on the bike (the part that I logged) was 138. That's right in the middle of Zone 4 for me, so that's good. Sad that it equated to such a slow pace, but at least I know I wasn't slacking.
Wind:
Course: Good course, very well manned by both Police (at the dangerous intersections requiring traffic control) and volunteers (at every turn, as well as minor intersections)
Road:   Cadence: 73
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:39 | 03.11 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Avg HR was 147 (Zone 3)
Course: First 1.2 miles was all up hill, then downhill-ish until 2.6 miles, then all uphill to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-13 10:10 PM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
Subject: Patriot Triathlon

2009-09-13 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2404181

User image

Subject: RE: Patriot Triathlon
Great Job!
I also did this race. I raced with the stomach flu. It was missery the whole time. Ready to avenge this fun course next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Triathlon Rss Feed