Set-up, Inc
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 50s
Overall Rank = 63/218
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up super early at 3 AM, ate a banana and sipped enough coffee to elicit a txt to Tony. Pack up almost all my gear (more on that later), woke up my future bride and we were on the road by 4:15. Drank a Rockstar and popped 3 ibuprofen during the 50 minute drive up to Williamsburg. Was able to snag a spot very close to the transition area with all the volunteers. Checked out the scene, picked up my packet and made small talk with a few fellow racers. Set up transition and ate a second banana. While setting up my transition area, I realized I had left my SuperFeet insoles at home. Crap! Luckily I had put my old pair in my bike shoes, so I would just have to switch them in T2.
Event warmup:

Walked down to where the swim start was supposed to be and noticed it looked a lot like a swim exit. Started asking folks and no one knew what was going on. Tracked down an official and realized me and all the rest of these folks were in the wrong place.

Power walked about a mile over to the actual swim start. Made it just before the first wave went out. I was in wave 3, so I had time to get in the water and acclimate to the 70F water.
Swim
  • 15m 10s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started standing about waist/chest deep in water. When the horn went off, most in my wave started swimming but I kept wading for about another 40 yards. I was moving just as fast as the swimmers, so I just kept going until the bottom dropped off.

Being my first OWS in a tri, I stayed to the outside but still tried to draft. Sighting was OK but my normal bilateral, 3-count breathing went out the window within the first 20 yards. Started breathing to the left, away from the chop and tried to settle in. Had to stop and do breaststroke a couple times.

Overall, the swim went about as good as I think I could have expected. I caught several people from the previous wave and stayed with the bulk of my wave. I just wanted to be in under 17 - 18 minutes and I did that. Just slightly longer than my average in the pool of my last tri.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. Train more in open water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

Super long run from swim exit to transition area; out of the river and through the woods... across a field, up a small hill, across another field and into T1. Shoes on good, used water bottle to clean feet, glasses/helmet on good and ran bike out of T1 good. Mounted quickly and cleanly.

Nothing really. Most of time was spent running from water to bike.
Bike
  • 38m 39s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Super crowded bike course. Very common to see 3 or 4 bikers wide across the lane. Most of the time it was just during passing but several times it was a crit-style log jam that wouldn't move. Passed a few people on the right because they wouldn't get over.

Mostly stayed with a group of 1 female and 2 male riders. We kept passing each other and pushed each other well. I passed a lot more folks than passed me.

I think their measurement of the course was off by at least a half mile, if not more. I had 12.4 miles on my computer with 3/4 of a mile left to go. I spoke with a few other racers and they agreed. According to the mapping software on BT, it was 13.11 But I digress...

Much better on hydrating this time. Tried to drink at least every 1/2 mile and that seemed to be a good number for me. Drank almost 2 whole bottles while on the bike (about 40 oz). Watered down Gatorade is my new go-to drink on the bike.

Although the packs I was stuck in seemed to move along pretty well, I could have been more agressive with passing and getting away from them. I either need to get an aerobottle or get better taking the bottle out of the left side of my saddle rack, while in aero.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Remembered to stretch my calves and hips on the ride up to the dismount line. Ran in well and found rack easily. Took up some time getting my insoles out of the bike shoes and into the running shoes.

Not forget my running insoles. With only 7 seconds between me and the 2nd place racer in T2, I definitely could have gotten 2nd. Didn't make any difference overall, but...
Run
  • 26m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't too confident in my PF ladden feet with the old insoles as I started the run. Ankles and lower legs stiff and sore for the first mile. First water station was just out of T2 and I completely missed it. I was able to pass several people and tried to push the pace as much as I could.

There must have been some sort of walking event on the path too, as there were tons of walkers all wearing name tags. They didn't really get in the way so it wasn't a big deal, just a little distracting. However, this run course was the second choice after a bridge on the first course was hit by a boat. Anyway, one older lady was cheering us all on as she walked. That helped me a lot.

Still, PR'd... shaved a minute off my last run leg.

I tried to drink water but they had it in styrofoam cups which don't cooperate too well to the squeeze techique. Plus I still have trouble drinking while running. It always goes up my nose.

Maybe push harder. I'm still trying to learn how I feel towards the end of a leg and when to push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold towel, water, Gatorade... walked around. Cheered for meh as she came into T1.

As I was checking the results, just before we were going to leave, I noticed I was second in the Clyde division. So, we decided to stick around for the awards. And sure enough... I got some hardware!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training... my gut.

Event comments:

The confusion with the swim start was almost a big SNAFU. Luckily we figured it out with enough time to get to the correct location. Some signage would have been helpful. Especially since the swim direction changed 3 times before race day. Another water station at the run turnaround would have been very helpful. And, again, their bike distance was off. Oh, and greasy pizza afterwards was not appetizing. The fruit was good but the pizza was gross.

Other than that, there were plenty of volunteers and police. I'll be back next year.

Last updated: 2009-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:10 | 820 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 61/218
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Out about 200 yards, parallel to shore 400 yards and back in about 200 yards to beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:39 | 13.11 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 46/218
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on same 3 roads. Plenty of volunteers and police at intersections. Lots of officials out on the course on motocycles and in cars/vans.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:45 | 03.11 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 111/218
Course: Out and back along bike/walk path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 10:03 AM

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: Patriot's Sprint

2009-09-14 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2404894

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Patriot's Sprint
Congratulations on the hardware and the PR!  Nice job!

The bike course for this race is always really crowded.  It's a little crazy.
2009-09-14 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2404894

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: Patriot's Sprint
Great race bro.. even with forgetting your insoles you still race a great time..

see you at wicked..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot's Sprint Rss Feed