TNT productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 30s
Overall Rank = 2556/3933
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 105/252
Pre-race routine:

Friday mid morning, I got to the Airport with Sue and checked in my bike. I had never flown with it before, so I was a bit nervous it would not arrive..or arrive in pieces. But I kissed it goodbye and went to hang out with Kristy, Ralph, Wayne, Donnie, Courtney and Sue at the gate.
When we got to Dulles airport, we collected out bikes and luggage and I was picked up by my cousin Jack's wire, Lucy. I headed off alone to their house and made plans to meet up with Kristy and Ralph for the expo and packet pickup in a few hours.

I headed into Downtown on the Metro...very exciting to be back in a city...
I got to the Host hotel and we sat in on the mandatory athlete meeting and then picked up or packet and goodie bag. I was in wave 21 at 8:00 am. I then headed back to VA for dinner with the Jack and Lucy.

Got to sleep.

Saturday- Woke up and started o assemble the bike. I thought I was doing a decent job and actually got my aerobars, seat, front wheel and rear derauiler on. Jack had to help me with the rear wheel and the pedals. I still wanted to have someone look it over to make sure it was all done right and secure.

We headed over to a local bike shop and gave my bike to the service guys and told them it was my first time putting it together, so please check everything and make certain it is ready for racing.

Got out of the shop in 20 min and then headed into DC to Donnie and Sue's hotel and rode my bike to transition as part of my brick for the day. We go to drop the bike at Transition I met up with Kristy, Ralph, and Sue. AS I enter transition, the security guy tells me to put my bike # on the bike...oh crap, its at my cousins in VA. Fist problem. Bike can't go in there with out it. Damn! I wasn't heading back to Va til 9 pm and transition closes at 8 and its mandatory check in.
I asked some guy who works for the race and he told me to make a number out of paper and marker and take it on. So, that is what got me into the T-area. Ok, Phew..problem averted...
We all headed over to the swim practice and got into our wetsuits. It had been since Miami Man, I think since I had used it. WE got in...Wow, cold!!! Took my breath away for the first few moments.

We got swimming...Well, you thought Tradewinds was murky..you could not see a thing in this water...And I mean not even someone swimming 1 foot away from you, or your hand as it entered the water. Well, at least it didn't taste bad like Key Biscayne...
We swam to the buoy and back to check out the course as much as we could. We knew that tomorrow we would swim past the bridge, but they wouldn't let us today.

Got out and then got shoes on for the run warm up. After that we headed back to Kristy and Ralph's place to hang out and clean up for dinner. Nothing left to do but that and sleep.
We all met up for a yummy dinner at Capital City Brewery. Good times but we all got going around 8:30. I headed back to VA on the metro.

Once back at my cousins, I wanted to pack my transition bag and make my fuel, water bottles for the race. Kristy advised me to only freeze half my bottle, since we were not in the Florida heat, it would not melt like it does at home. I left the rest of the fuel to mix the next morning. I froze half, chilled some water, washed my wetsuit and hung it to dry. Packed everything...got my official bike #'s and set it all aside. Hit the sack around 10 pm.

Race day_
I woke up at 4:50 and got myself ready. Ate my clif bar. And at 5:15, Jack and I were out the door headed to transition. We got there in no time and I headed in. Got body marked again since it wore off overnight and picked up my timing chip. Headed to my bike and set up my area. I was pretty luck..2 people around my didn't show up, so I had plenty of space for my towel and bag. I Reset my bike computer, set up everything for the bike, put the official number on, set up for the run and got my fuel set up. Checked my chain ring to make sure it was in the small ring and then checked tires. Started my garmin...All set! I was fairly fast setting it all up. I was not nervous at all and felt very prepared. I checked on the est of the BRT racers and we took some pictures.
We grabbed our wetsuit, gel, water, goggles, cap and headed to the swim pen. All the athletes had to hang there until their wave was called. I was shocked to see there were a good amount of people without wetsuits...Yikes 73 degrees..brrrr...Took a couple potty breaks...OK...lets get this rolling!!!
Event warmup:

We were unable to take the bikes for a spin or a dip in the water, so I just did a 5 min run around the very large transition area.
Swim
  • 33m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

we get into the water..cold ,but once we were in, it was not too bad. The start was a in water start...Wee waded until they blew the horn. I positioned myself on the front line since i know i am pretty fast. I started off good ,but realized I was still going out to hard. I was passing people, but was also being passed. I didn't feel that there were enough buoys and I really tried to sue the bridge as a guise for my sighting..I just aimed for the arch. I got into a great groove and just kept my head down expect for the sighting. The only time I stopped was when My ear plug fell out and I had to move the other one to my left ear...the cold water was giving me an earache...I wasted about 10 seconds. The swim back in had the bright sun glaring down on us and it made it difficult to see the yellow buoy, so instead I sighted off all the caps I was heading towards. I started noticing I was passing many of the wave before me.. Must have seen at least 4 different colored caps. Once i got towards the end, I kicked it into high gear an got to the platform. Swam until my hands hit the platform just as I would have waited til I hit the sand a few times..Got up and ran up the ramp.
What would you do differently?:

Use tinted goggles...grabbed my clear ones by mistake. Ok swim, but should have been faster...Not used to a wetsuit so I think it hindered me
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

There was about a ¼ mile run to my rack and during the run, I lowered my wetsuit to my waist and took my goggles and cap and ear plugs out. Got to my bike and started taking my wetsuit off at the heels. Right got stuck a bit and as I reached down to yank it off, got quite lightheaded. Had to stand up and catch myself so I didn't fall over. Ok, back in action. Wetsuit off and grabbed my helmet at the same time. Helmet, sunglasses on and garmin on as I am shoving my feet into my bike shoes. I lean down to feed the strap into the buckle and wouldn't you know it, my right buckle is completely snapped in half and can't buckle. Oh well, just got with the 2 Velcro straps! Grab my bike and get running. I get out to the mount line and start my garmin and jump on. Off I got. I am doing great!

make certain my shoes aren't broken
Take endurolytes like my race plan states so i don't get dizzy from dehydration after the swim!
Bike
  • 1h 26m 2s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.33 mile/hr
Comments:

As i ride out last the crown, i start feeling like I am sitting really low. I look down at my seat post and the entire post had fallen in to the frame. Oh crap...Damn bike shop for not checking the screws!!!! Well, nothing i could do at this point, I did not have tools an there is no way I was stopping..
So, i ride my best and try and get as much power out of my legs as I can. The first half of the ride is a slow incline along the causeway. A few slightly bigger inclines but it was really had to see them coming since they were so gradual. One minute I would be riding a decent pace, the next 10 mph! Damn where the headwind come from. I was just waiting for the second half which would be all down hill! So, about ¾ of the first half, I started to get frustrated with my bike and my situation., It too a lot of talking to myself to get my head back in the race. I just kept telling myself, so what you can, you are strong and you are ready for this race...this seat is not going to stop me from having a good race. So, I dug in and pedaled my heart out. The second half of the ride, I passed a lot f people and gained a lot of ground. With about 20 minutes left of the ride, I take a gel..more on this later. Towards the last 4 miles of the ride, we got through and underpass and there is a giant gapping hole in the ground that is almost the entire legnth of the road. My tire hits it and I scream since I thought maybe i got a flat or maybe would fly over my bars. Phew..I'm fine but shaken up. Then I look down and notice my handlebars are aimed towards my front tire. Great job bike shop for checking those too!! I yank them back up into the right position and keep going. As we get towards the end, I pull my foot out of the right shoe (easy to do since there isn't a buckle to undo) and as I put my foot on top of the shoe, so other biker tells me we still have awhile to go. Hmmm...Did I jump the gun? So, I rode a few minutes with only one foot out. I looked at my computer and gaged that we really were almost done and that guy didn't really have any clue..so as i take the other foot out, I see the end of the ride...I jump off my bike and start running...I passed everyone..they really should learn take their feet out..running barefoot saves sooo much time!!!

duh..make sure bike screws are tightened!!!!! I ahve been doing so well in my training on the bike nad it makes me a bit upset that I could not ride to my potential due to my seat being all the way down!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

T2- there ore 3 curbs we had to go over and pick up[ our bikes...I ran into transition and got to my rack. Wiped my feet, threw on socks, shoes and grabbed my visor and belt. Off I go....

nada..I am always happy with my T2
Run
  • 1h 04m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, mentally i was so ready for this run. I lap my garmin to start the run and get moving. I pass Jack and Lucy, who came down to cheer me on. I was feeling good. I paced myself at about 9:50 mm and just kept moving steady. I was focusing on keeping the 9/1 routine since it worked for me the best. I approached Mile 1 and was still feeling great. Ok, time to walk. Got a drink at Aid station 1. In the middle of mile 2, i started to get a bit nauseas. Bummer..I knew this was because I ate that gel. They never sit well with me and I am not sure why i took it all while knowing this. I think since I didn't think i drank all my fuel on the bike, that I needed the calories. Well, I thought I was going to puke! I just did more of the run walk than anticipated. I also had started to get some chafing under my left tricep...so I ran with my arm lifted a bit. I moved to a 6/1 run and walked at every aid station. I drank water to try and calm my stomach..but then around mile 4 I had top pee. There was no way i was stopping, so I just sucked it up and kept running. My legs started cramping a bit, but I told myself I had run with worse pain. At mile 5.5, I saw Lucy and Jack again. They were cheering me on that it have me good energy to keep going. As we rounded to corner the finish chute was lined with spectators for the last 1/3 mile..It was so nice hearing everyone cheering. Then i saw my teammates. Kristy started running with me and told me to run my hardest. I picked my pace up as much as my legs would let me til the finish. Yay!!!! I was done and definitely a PR!!!!!

not take a gel in before my run!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

walked around with friends, cheered on my other teammates and had some food. We rode our bike backto the hotel

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pretty obvious..bike seat position!

Event comments:

What I am thrilled about:
1.God swim and I even swam over people without caring
2.Speedy T1, even with the issues
3.Good mental state on the ride even though I was ready to give up
4.Kept with it on the run and had enough in me to push it at the end
5.Had a PR!!!
I had a ton of fun going away and doing this race and want to travel again. I was a bit disappointed about my bike and the shop for not checking the screw, but in the end, it was fun and i still had a great race. I would do another out of state race again.

So, what would I have done different:

1.Not forget my bike #
2.Check over my bike better and secure all screws!
3.I am sure you notice that I never mentioned endurolyetes...Well, I did not take any since it wasn't that hot..big mistake! I am sure that is why I was light headed from the swim, and also why my legs cramped on the run. So, follow my race plan!!!!
4.Not take a gel before the run...I did not have it in my race plan and still did it...again..follow my race plan!!!!!

Last updated: 2009-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:42 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/252
Overall: 0/3933
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: wade start...out straight in the Potamac and under the bridge..past 2 buoys..round about and head back...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:26:02 | 24.85 miles | 17.33 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back up Rock Creek Parkway for a few miles, back to the Lincoln Memorial, then out Canal Road/Clara Barton to the Beltway and back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:43 | 06.21 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Down Hains point and around the lower memorials area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 6:20 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2009-09-14 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2405961

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon
Nice job!  That must have been hard with a low seat.
2009-09-14 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Wow, what a great race report. Nice job top half of your age group. I learned some stuff from your blog.  Also, I had that seatpost problem on an Xterra race this summer. Bummer. You should call the bike shop, and ask to speak to the owner, and let him/her know you had this problem.
2009-09-14 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Murphy's Law. Congratulations on finishing. I would have thrown my bike in the river if all that happened to me.
2009-09-15 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
I did call the bike shop and spoke to the manager.  He apologized over adn over and i told him to refund the $ I paid for them to check over my bike...Hee did...good guy.
I wanted to throw my bike to the side of the road, but I am not a qitter..so , I jsut hung in there..this was supposed to be my last race of the season, but now I think I might have to do Miami Nice in OCt jsut to prove I am faster!
2009-09-15 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2406693

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Great job, hehe you and Velorider with your 73 is freezing even with a wetsuitLaughing

2009-09-15 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
I think you did fabulous with the circumstances!  I probably would've cried given the bike issues you dealt with so bravo .  Loved all the details in your report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed