United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 38s
Overall Rank = 38/122
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

Ohhh, my pre-race started Saturday at 4:30 with a swim in CdA. The race water temp was supposed to be cold (58F) so I figured the river would be the same temp as the lake, right? WRONG! The lake was beautiful, and it was a good easy swim. Then home for a soccer game, dash off to the mall (ewwww) for a 14-year-old b-day party, run a bunch of errands, back to the mall to pick up the kids, home for swimsuits, back to the Y so they could swim until 9... doesn't sound like much when I read it, but I was pooped. THEN they stayed the night - the girls were great, but the dogs could hear them and were restless, and hubby could hear the dogs and was restless, so I was still looking at the clock at 2:30. The girls were still up when I got up at 4:30... I didn't start the day at my best, to say the least.

1 bottle of Perpetuem (with caffiene, thank you very much) at home, a second bottle in the car on the way, got my favorite tri brother and training pahdner loaded up and off we went. I was so glad we could do one more race together this year. It's so much fun to see him out on the course.

We were going to do a local 10-mile run today instead of the tri, but by the time we were going to sign up for the run it was too late to get a shirt, so of course we had to sign up for the tri!
Event warmup:

Hmmm, not much. We had to walk quite a ways from the car to the site - I guess that was it. The air and the water were both pretty cold, so I opted not to do a swim warmup.
Swim
  • 32m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Brrr... We started 3 minutes after the men, and had to wade out to the middle of the river. There wasn't too much current, and we could still stand at the start with water up to my chest. I was the last one wading in and kept bobbing under the water trying to get myself to be able to breathe out underwater when the horn sounded. But I was able to just put my head down and start swimming at that point with a minimum of drama. I was further out in the middle of the river than a lot of people, but just kept swimming. I could see people giving up and walking with the current, but I didn't really notice it until I caught a big group at the turn buoy.

I sight every 8 strokes usually, so I would swim my 8 strokes and look up.."Oh good, there's the turn buoy," swim another 8 strokes, look up and "Oh good, there's the turn buoy," then swim another 8 strokes... I wasn't making much headway! I was able to very s-l-o-w-l-y swim through the big crowd who were all struggling to make those last few yards to the buoy then finally finally make the turn. It was hilarious - I felt like I was in an EndlessPool!

When I finally made the turn, I couldn't see a buoy straight across the river, but I knew with the current I'd better aim for shore if I was going to make the next one. I swam straight-ish, but the current took me down to the next turn. After that turn I must have been going a fair bit faster with the current, but I couldn't really tell.

The water was so shallow during most of the swim that I scraped my fingers on the bottom and had to be careful not to hit the bigger rocks. Nearer the end it got really murky but I knew it was time to stand up when my hand dug into the bottom. Ewwww....

Overall it was a good swim. Once I got started I didn't feel cold, but I was glad to have my squid lid today!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

Well, I obviously wasn't in a hurry. Mason was in transition when I got there, and we helped each other out. He was trying to put a dry shirt on (ha!) and I couldn't get my armwarmers over my wet hands. Between the two of us we both finally made it out of there!

I put on a vest and armwarmers and was glad to have them. Brrr...

Nothing on this day. If I was out there to really race I would've moved a lot faster. I walked and jogged in, then walked and jogged out with my bike...no hurry. But I did enjoy it.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I guess I should just expect the first 10 miles or so of a race to feel icky. I really didn't feel great on the way out, I just didn't have the uphills in me today. It wasn't bad, just not quite as good as I hoped. I did pass a few people out there which was a bit of a surprise. Again, I was mostly out there to have fun today.

I wore my vest zipped up to my chin and my arm warmers the whole way. I was worried about being able to shift because my hands were cold, but they warmed up. My feet stayed numb the whole time. If they had been dry it would have been fine, but other than that it was a comfortable ride.

I did push a bit on this ride - after all, it IS a race! It was a good effort for this distance.

I get a kick out of the people you end up playing leapfrog with. Some people are great, some just don't have a sense of humor at all. Me, I'd prefer to enjoy my time out there. Overall it was a fun ride.

Nothing except to do some more bike training before hand. My bike volume has been low.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I didn't have as much to do, and no one to talk to, so this went a bit faster. :)

I felt like I was forgetting something. Oh yeah, I left my gel in the car. Great. Grabbed a package of bloks off my bike so I'd have something and was ready to go.

Nothing.
Run
  • 58m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Huh. What to say? I really liked the course, it was two winding loops on really nice trails and you got a chance to see a lot of the other runners that way. Team Blaze was out in force, and it was a blast to cheer on and be cheered by my buddies.

I could tell I was tired, but just mostly kept the legs going. I had to walk when I ate those silly bloks, they are just too hard to chew when I'm running. And yes, I CAN walk and chew gum...

My feet were numb for the first mile or so, then finally warmed up enough to feel the rocks on the trail. Ow!

I caught up with my brother about halfway through, and it was a big lift to see him out there as always.

A little bit from the end I saw another friend up ahead and didn't think I could catch her, and right about then my favorite leap-frog guy from the bike caught me and passed me so I tried to keep him in sight too. I was able to catch my buddy right at the end, but while I kept pace with the leap-frog guy, he just turned it on and ran away over the last half-mile or so. It was good for me to try to push the pace a little. I'm happy with the run.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to watch the rest of the finishers, ate some food, drank some water, then got a massage! We have a team massage therapist who donates post-race massages...what a nice way to end the day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Less than ideal training but mostly lack of sleep. Oh, and the usual 20 pounds or so that I wish would magically drop off.

Event comments:

This was a fun race and good season-ender. The water is COLD, so I would definitely go with long sleeves and a neoprene cap. Be ready for a grind on the out leg of the bike, and be ready to enjoy the return trip. I loved the trail run course, but I do like to run on trails.

This was the inaugural race, and other than an issue with the timing chips and ages it seemed to go very smooth.

I would recommend this race, but not if you have doubts about the swim. The current can be a bit of a spirit-breaker if you're not ready for it.

Definitely a fun day.

Last updated: 2009-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:49 | 1640 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 0/122
Performance: Good
Suit: Long-sleeved BlueSeventy Reaction
Course: Upriver for half in shallow water, cut across river then downstream to the finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:40 | 24.85 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/16
Wind: None
Course: Out and back - rollers and more uphill on the way out, rollers and more downhill on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:22 | 06.21 miles | 09m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/16
Course: 2 laps trail run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-15 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: Spokane Triathlon

2009-09-15 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2406830

User image

Spokane
Subject: RE: Spokane Triathlon

Good report - sounds like you enjoyed the race. I agree that the swim was a challenge, once the word gets out it might scare off some beginners but I expect this event to sell out in the future.

2009-09-15 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

I love reading your reports.  You have such a great attitude!!!  I gotta tell you, the swim sounded scary as hell, but you handled it well!  Of course, you're a total stud, so it only stands to reason that you performed like one!   Awesome way to end an unbelievable season! 

2009-09-15 11:26 AM

User image

Master

The current was a bit of a surprise, and I do agree the out on the bike is a bit of a grind. Probably caught some folks off gaurd as it was advertised as flat and fast. Overall I loved it and I too expect it to sell out in the future.

Great race, sounds like you enjoyed the day.

2009-09-15 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Very fun RR, as always.  The swim sounded amusing (glad I wasn't in there) but I love that you worked your way through the masses.

And, I agree with you on the "leap frog" while on the bike.  Usually, the non-Athena gals smoke me on the climbs but I, with my incredible potential energy, swoop them on the downhill - LOL!

2009-09-15 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

wonderful race report.  I like the FUN comments.   wow look at the bike time. NICE.

And I love your transition...girl after my own heart.....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spokane Triathlon Rss Feed