Midwest Sports Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m
Overall Rank = 15F/325F
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/34
Pre-race routine:

Varied my routine a bit...had a Creme Horn and Diet Pepsi (no poptarts today!) Stopped at a gas station, for gas...and to avoid the long lines at the race ;)

Event warmup:

hooked up with the Donkai! (Terri, Jim, DJ, Nicole (swimmycoach), Stacey (Nash). Chatted with Peggy, Andrea (two of our favorite jockstrappers) and got my Toby fix. Ran a bit with Stacey. Hip a bit sore, the warmup did help. Saw a few non Donkey friends as well. A short chat with Charles Benson.
Run
  • 13m 13s
  • 1.9 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran hard, breathing and legs both were good!
What would you do differently?:

nada!! I was happy-dancin thrilled with this run!
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Had a great transition spot...right by bike in/bike out.

nothing that I can think of.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 20s
  • 21.04 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

road hard!! many of the hills I had to use the granny gear. LOVE this course! I did better staying in tha aero's on fast downhills and some turns than usual. Did mess up one incline, and did not drop to small ring, so really had to mash it near the top. Passed people very consistently (I was in wave 15 of 17 so alot of the slower people were out there waiting to be passed). Back and forthed with a tri wis guy (really nice guy...but he likes to ride near the center line ALL OF THE TIME, can you hear my frustration?) Gave a shout out to Jim Webers mom on the course, though I did not know it was her!

Only noticed once that I wasn't pushing near as hard as I could...so, maybe keep it in my mind constantly this part of the race report. I don't want to say "should have pushed the bike more". So, it only happened once!
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

I pushed the bike so hard, that my legs belonged to someone else at the dismount line. (if they were mine, they would not have wobbled and stumbled getting into transition). Got shoes changed, while still on someone elses legs, gulped some Gatorade (yes, into MY mouth) and headed out. run in/ run out were also on my end of the row!! Once again, SWEEET transition spot!

guess nothing, cause to make the T2 better, I would have had to not push the bike as hard. (THAT is not going to happen...dog the bike to have a faster T2? ;)
Run
  • 13m 42s
  • 1.9 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

came out of T2 thinking "this run is going to be a sufferfest". Saw Peggy, complained about my legs being sore. Got into a rythm fairly quickly, but mile 1 was 21 sec slower than run#1. Stopped for the water stop (near end of mile 1 I think...took about 8-9 secs I guess) Did I really need the water, probably not. hmmm, I ask myself "why did I just stop for water?" and no good answer. Ran as hard as I could though! something like SIU.

NOT stop for water! I mean, jeesh, I only had to go 7 or so more minutes!
Post race
Warm down:

after the worst part of an awesome race...coming through the last less than .1 mile of grass. Had two thoughts, don't fall, and hit 1:30 or less. BINGO!!! 1:30:00 exact! Struggled to spin my race number from my back to the front, and smiled for the camera!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing!! I was extremely happy with my race! PR of 3min15sec from the other time I did this race, two years ago. I totally came into this race NOT planning to place. I was 5th two years ago, and some of the ladies who beat me that year, also placed top 3 last year, and were racing today!! Even if I had not placed, I'd still be doing the Happy Dance!!
They had alot of give aways after the awards ceremony...something for EVERYONE!! Then MS race director said, "I don't want to take all this stuff home...please take some!" (leftover shirts from other and THIS race, lots of Heed, HammerGel, Endurolytes etc!!!) I went home with products that were worth more than my entry fee, and a cool trophy (had a clock on it!)No battery though...sighing with a giggle!

Event comments:

Here is where it gets interesting...a trip to Water Street Brewery (waukesha I think) after Terri and Stacey said no way to Perkins. (they don't serve Bloody Marys), and after two different people taking the lead, and not getting us where we want...Ended up with Tim as our very patient water. Don't believe what the others say, cause they are going to make up some things that I SUPPOSEDLY said! Yes, true, I almost inhaled a pimento. And, Jim answered my question "it depends on how much a pound weighs". Stacey has a favorite organ (not THAT organ, a spleen), Jim doens't have a spleen, and DJ was amazed that Stacey has a favorite organ. (yeah, like he doesn't????) Nicole just wondered "what just happened there". Terri was just "hiding the donkey", and tripped on her way out. (I forgot to say "walk safe" when I told her to drive safe). Tim and most of the place just couldn't figure out what was so darn funny at our booth. Hmmm, there were many quite unusual statements, but most are not fit for print....
Oh, and Nicole was suprised that I could use a big word in a normal conversation. (photosynthesis), she also thinks my dogs name is "pond".

Last updated: 2009-09-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:13 | 01.9 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/325F
Performance: Good
(run was acutally 1.9) 1/7:08 2/6:05. yes, the second mile was .9! (so, second mile was about 6:42 pace!!)
Course: flat, lollipop course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:01:20 | 21.04 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:13:42 | 01.9 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
1/7:29 2/6:33.
Course: same as #1 (1.9 miles!)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-20 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Subject: Dousman Duathlon

2009-09-21 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2416340

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Dousman Duathlon

once again a stellar performance by a stellar donkey!!!!  and thanks for all the comedy at teh post race festivities!!!!!  AND I HAD A CRAMP DAMBIT!!!!!!  (just dont bite next time you suck!)

2009-09-21 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
EEEAAAAWWWWSOME race!!!! More hardware, do you have a whole room full of it now?
2009-09-21 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Awesome job on that race.  Was nice to hang with you for a while afterwards.  Wish I woulda taken some more goods though 
2009-09-21 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Wait, what just happened there?  Awesome race Pam! Great to hang with you pre and post race. (sorry I couldn't quite hang with you on Run # 1) Glad to be a witness to the Charles Benson encounter. Please more careful when sucking olives though.
2009-09-21 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Stellar race Pam...   You smoked all 3 legs...!!!  Congrats on the PR and the hardware...!!!

2009-09-21 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Congrats, Pam. Speedy donkey.
2009-09-22 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Thanks all!! This was a really fun race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dousman Duathlon Rss Feed