Somersault Events
15C / 59F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 2s
Overall Rank = 85/103
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

As has become race day routine, I could *not* get my daughter up and dressed without considerable effort. Tried to hit a Tim Horton's on the way to the race site and sort of panicked when it was closed. Didn't see anything on the way and was starving. About a block away from complex we found one and I gobbled up 1/2 a bagel with PB & guzzled water. Sort of knew it wouldn't be enough.
Event warmup:

Swam 50m and felt tired with no energy. I had such high hopes for this race - really wanted to give it my all - but I knew going in it wasn't going to happen.
Swim
  • 15m 20s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Have been swimming this distance in 10 minutes during training but in a shorter pool and after a decent warm up so I decided to seed myself in 12 minutes. Avoided the dive in for fear of losing a contact lens (last year). Water was cool but got in a good rhythm. Arms started feeling heavy around the 300m mark. Felt someone touch my toes at one point and let him pass at the end. This happened again at 350m and then I passed someone at 400m. The T1 time is included in this time. Hubby timed me at 12:20 = 2:28/100m.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe warm up more ahead of time. Obviously eat better!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It is a 60M run from pool to the Transition Zone, through a side door in the pool. The time is included in the swim time. Spent 2 minutes toweling off & putting shoes, helmet and sweater on.

Nothing
Bike
  • 57m 9s
  • 14.91 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Took a gel as soon as I got on the bike. Had mixed Gatorade with my water and so sucked it back early on. First two laps were poky and I was passed quite a bit. Decided to just enjoy the ride for what it was - beautiful. Gel/drink kicked in and got second wind 1/2 way through. By then I knew where to conserve energy and when to move into the big ring and started passing people. Finished feeling good.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Someone had taken my bike spot and there was no room so had to lay bike down on grass off to side of racks.

Pick up the pace... took too long changing shoes etc.
Run
  • 32m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

The T2 time is included in the run time. I love this run - you feel all alone running through the woods. I took the first mile easy and then pushed myself for the final two. I really wanted to finish the run in under 30 minutes. Two runners tried to pass me on the chute but I picked up the pace and held strong. I'm really happy with my run. My Garmin read 9:51 average speed which for me is a good run.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a banana and guzzled some diluted Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor nutrition. Maybe next time I'll bring a PB sandwich to hotel just in case...

Event comments:

I love Ottawa in the fall so for me it's a good race even though it consists of a lot of loops. Not as boring for hubby/daughter to watch. It was well organized. I find it amusing everyone gets a finisher's medal. Busy photographer too - lots of pics taken - although none are posted yet. And woo hoo! First race I ever placed in!!! (does it matter that I was the only one in my age group???)

A blind man participated with the aide of someone. Truly incredible - what courage and determination.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:20 | 500 meters | 03m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 77/103
Performance: Average
Suit: TANKINI TOP & TRI SHORTS
Course: A swimmer will start in lane 1of the pool every 15 seconds, by pushing off the end of the pool. Each swimmer will swim 10 lengths of the pool, going down and back in each of the 5 wide lanes. After finishing the down and back swim in each lane, you duck under the lane rope, to go down and back in the next lane, etc., until you exit the pool from lane 5 after your 10th length. *T1 time is included in the swim time*
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:57:09 | 14.91 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Overall: 81/103
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: The cycle course is an 6Km loop. Cyclists do the loop 4 times. The cycle starts on the South Driveway of the Sportsplex adjacent to the pool building. The course turns right on Woodroffe Ave., turns right at Hunt Club, right onto Cleopatra, left onto Camelot, right onto Merivale, right onto Slack Rd. right onto Woodroffe and then a final right onto the SporTsplex South Driveway to the T-Zone. Except for the Slack Rd. section of the course, cyclists wail be using the curb lane and/or paved shoulder of the roadways. they will be separated from motor vehicles by traffic cones.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:34 | 03.11 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 86/103
Performance: Good
Course: The run course will begin in or adjacent to the Transition Zone located on the field on the South side of the pool building. The course will follow the roadway and then the recreational path (gravel) through the forest on the East side of the Sportsplex football field (double loop). It returns to the T-zone of the Finish Line adjacent to the T-Zone. *The T2 time is included in the run time*
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-20 7:30 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: The Last Chance Triathlon

2009-09-21 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2416621

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: The Last Chance Triathlon
I *love* the last picture where my feet don't even touch the ground! 
Was feeling pretty good waving to my peeps...
2009-09-27 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2416621

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: The Last Chance Triathlon

Congrats on breaking the 10min/mile, and no, you do not need to tell ppl there's only one in your AG. Nice pics too.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Last Chance Triathlon Rss Feed