View Member's Race Log
Long Lake, MN
60F / 16C
Total Time = 2h 08m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:00, ate eggs and a bagel, packed up my gear and headed to the cities by 6:30.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike for 15 minutes
Run
  • 32m 30s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a very hard run for me. After less than a mile I wanted to quit so bad. I was working so hard and going so slow . . . people were passing me left and right and it was so discouraging. I realize that I am not fully recovered from my flu. I was up coughing all the night before. But I also realized that I am more of a competitive person than I thought and I hate being passed by 90% of the people in the race.

Fortunately right when I wanted to quit I saw my coach running on the other side of the field. I remembered some of the things he had told me (like how he ran an Ironman in 10:13 while recovering from mono) and decided that I could not quit . . . that I would just keep pressing on.
I also made the mistake of wearing a t-shirt over my racing singlet during the run. I was WAY too hot.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Took off the shirt that made me so hot on the run!
Bike
  • 1h 04m
  • 17 miles
  • 15.94 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

OK, but I really was not looking forward to the run!
Run
  • 30m
  • 2.8 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out OK, but two minutes in I got a bad stomach cramp and battled it for at least a mile. Walked some, tried to regulate my breathing, etc. Nothing really worked, but it finally went away. Once again I was not too happy to be running. I survived this portion of the race by thinking about my son and his friends who are fighting cancer and all the pain they go through on a regular basis.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being ill, possibly bad attitude and not wanting to race.

Event comments:

This was a very hard race for me . . . partly because I was recovering from a lengthy illness and partly because I just don't do well in duathlons. The people around me are FAST runners and bikers and while my times greatly improved from last year, I was still in the bottom 10% of the field. Because I am training for Ironman I don't have the same attitude towards speed that most of the others in the race did. I have only two speeds and neither one of them is fast. It was really hard on me because I have trained so hard for the last 6 months and when I compare myself to others I don't see a huge change. I really need to keep my focus on comparing myself to myself because that is where the change is the most obvious. Still hard though, when you are passed by an old guy wearing a long sleeve shirt and sweatpants.

Last updated: 2005-05-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:30 | 03.2 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Trail run
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:04:00 | 17 miles | 15.94 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Backroads around Long Lake. Some of the roads were very bumpy with a few dangerous potholes. Thankfully I missed those. Very little traffic. Wonderful volunteers and police offices at key corners. Some hills and rollers and VERY windy . . . lots of headwind, crosswinds, and fortunately, some tail winds as well. I was proud that unlike a number of people around me I did not have to get off my bike and push it up the few VERY steep hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29.5:00 | 02.8 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Same trail run, just shortened a bit.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-23 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: Gear West Duathalon

2005-05-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: #161654

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Gear West Duathalon
Congratulations!! You should be very proud for sticking it out. Don't worry if you are in the bottom 10%; that is not what is important. Conditions were not great but you finished! Your speeds are very near what mine are on my best days, so I'd be happy as a clam with that time. Good job!
2005-05-23 9:53 AM
in reply to: #161654

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Gear West Duathalon
If I'd have known there was another list member in the race I would cheered you on. That wind was b-----y ridiculous wasn't it?
It sounds like you are as disappointed with your performance as I am with mine. So lets try to put it behind us and look to the next race.
Keep going...
Ian
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gear West Duathalon Rss Feed