General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianhead, MD, Maryland
United States
Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 2s
Overall Rank = 22/88
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

I was very relaxed about this one. My intention was to get up at 6am, throw the gear in the truck, grab the kids and head out by 6:30am. Ha - I know but I like my sleep. So after hitting snooze once I decided I better get up. We were on the road by 6:45am - not bad considering.
Event warmup:

Put on the wetsuit and looked at the water. I thought about getting in but was too freaked out so I decided just to wait for the swim start.
Swim
  • 17m 14s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the 2nd wave and figured that I would run over at least twice during the swim.

This was my best swim ever. I wasn't sure what to expect since I had not been in the pool much since July. I was hoping not to drown and finish around 20 min. I glided along, stayed relaxed and sighted really well even though I left my magnifying googles at home.

The turn buoy came up quickly - it was 1/3 of the way into the course. Then there was a longer stretch back to the boat ramp to get out. The sea/lake grass didn't bother me even though I had some pieces get wrapped around my arms. I only had a handful of guys pass me from wave 3. I was thrilled when I got out of the water 3 min. ahead of my best case scenario.

The water was a perfect and I felt so fast in the water. I was very happy w/ my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Lessons this winter will help me get faster.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

I flew out of the water and up the hill. I think I passed 2 AGers on the way to transtion. It was the longest gap I have done in a tri from the swim to the transition area. And it was uphill.

I ran right to my bike, whipped my wetsuit off quickly, got my bike gear on then ate a gel and took a swig of water. I grabbed my bike and ran to the mount line. And I was off. For me, a perfect transtion - not a second wasted.

Nothing - that was a long freakin' run up to transtion.
Bike
  • 53m 32s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't have my Garmin and my bike computer was not working so I just rode hard and smart. This was the first race that I rode in aero. I was able to guessimate my pace after passing the 5 mile mark. I was passing people on the uphills, downhills and flats. That rarely happens.

I was passed about 8 times from some guys in wave 3 - the younger men and one chick. I was super pleased w/ my effort. I rode the hills well and kept powering on the flats. I passed one chick in my AG towards the end of the bike and was happy to pick off a competitor.

I saw Tony and kids on my way into the park. It was nice to see my liitle cowboy and cowgirl.

Nothing - keep ridig and getting stronger
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I rode hard and fast up to the line. Hopped right off and started running. I racked my bike, switched my gear and ate a gel. I put my hat and number belt on while running out of transition. I grabbed a water from a volunteer to wash down the gel.

Nothing
Run
  • 27m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I saw Tony and kids in the beginning as I was heading out of the park.

It was a little tougher than I first thought. We ran the first part of the bike which was tougher on foot especially when the legs are tight from the bike. I shuffled along the first flat part before hitting the 2 big hills. My legs loosened up on the first down before the next hill but I am not that fast uphill. I was passed by the chick I passed on the bike. :-( She ended up 2nd in my AG.

Once I made the turn onto the dirt/gravel path, I was chugging along. I tried hard to make up time on the big downhill but the wind was sucked out me up to the finish. It was the same run uphill from the swim. Still a good effort. I tried to run smart and hard.

Nothing - good effort
Post race
Warm down:

Gasped for air and got yelled out by my kids because they wanted pizza. Ah great to stayed grounded by the family. :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - I got every second out of my performance, nothing wasted. It was the best race that I've done to date and I finally felt like I was racing.

Event comments:

Good race - laid back and fun. It was a nice way to end the season. SetUp does a good job on most events. There was plenty of food, snacks and drinks.

Last updated: 2009-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:14 | 750 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 56/88
Performance: Good
Suit: My beloved Nineteen sleeveless
Course: Funky out and back kind of an askew triangle. Start/Finish in 2 separate places but close together.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:32 | 16 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 12/88
Wind: None
Course: Mostly rolling but 2 decent climbs in the beginning. Pretty course and lots of fun.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:54 | 03.11 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 18/88
Course: 1.6 mile uphill, 1.4 downhill then a cruel uphill finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon

2009-09-23 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2419016

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon
Great job, next time don't let someone from your AG pass you...Laughing
2009-09-23 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Super race.  This should speak volumes to your overall fitness level and how great you are doing.  And I would give anything to run a sub 9 min pace - even outside of a race.  Way to go!!!
2009-09-23 3:05 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME!!!
2009-09-23 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Very nice race. It's great when you hit the groove.

2009-09-23 8:38 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Excellent race, Sam!  All of your hard work is paying big dividends.  It's awesome when everything comes together.  Good job, girl! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed