TNT productions
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 23s
Overall Rank = 2108/3942
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 32/134
Pre-race routine:

Got up, did the coffee thing, got drinks and transition stuff the rest of the way together. Bob and I took a taxi to the transition area with a guy we met at the front of the hotel, also trying to hail a taxi to get down there.
Event warmup:

Not a lot of warmup. I don't have much endurance, so I was afraid to do much of anything short of gentle stretches and getting my arm ready to do whatever it can. Once transition closed, we were pretty much relegated to the "swim pen" for the next hour-and-a-half until my wave went off.
Swim
  • 36m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very excited at how good my shoulder felt that morning. (thanks Sue!) My range of motion was better and the pain was much less intense. Still, though, I knew I'd have to try to avoid people during the swim because I'm weak and the recent decrease in the pain is precarious at best! Of course, that led me to spend so much time trying to stay away from people that I veered WAYYY off the course!
The only hard part was about 3/4 of the way thru my shoulder started hurting again and I was thinking about hanging it up, but I figured in the time it'd take for me to get to one of the kayaks I would probably be almost home, so I pushed that idea, and the pain, out of my mind.
Overall, I was still thrilled with my time. I didn't expect better than 40 minutes right now.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I had to protect myself and make sure I could live to fight another day.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Wasn't worried about trying to be speedy. Just took my time. Wetsuit got a little stuck, but not too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Nada. Just happy to be here.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I found it very crowded. I don't think I was safely on the right without having to pass someone more than 100 or so meters throughout the whole race. People were 3 and 4 abreast in some places, trying to pass. Some roads gave us 3 or 4 lanes to use, but other parts were only two lanes and a little nerve wracking. Speedwise, though, I was very happy.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Very careful to make sure I got the socks, knee support, race belt and water carrier on and NOT FORGET ANYTHING!!! :)
Run
  • 58m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

It felt so good to run. I've been hurting for so long that I haven't gotten to do enough of it. (which also means I FELT the run for days after!). I'm happy. Only walked 2 water stops and one visit to the loo (I know...TMI).
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, stretching. met up with family who came to cheer for us. It was great. They even made up a sign for us during the race!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shoulder injury months ago that's been misbehaving. Not much training, weight gain, you name it. Doesn't matter. I'm REAL happy about how it turned out.

Event comments:

I think it was, overall, a great experience. I've never been to D.C. before. However, I think it was too crowded, especially on the bike. Also, post-race PBJ was sort of a letdown.

Last updated: 2009-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:28 | 1640 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 58/134
Overall: 2490/3942
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra wetsuit
Course: Rectangle from pontoon going in a long straightaway under the bridge, 90 deg. turn and short line, turn and long straightaway after, going back under bridge, two more corners and up the ramp.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:14
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:42 | 24.85 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/134
Overall: 2281/3942
Wind: Some
Course: Heck if I know! Lots of trees, some light rolling hills (or ramps, whatever!).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:10 | 06.21 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/134
Overall: 2285/3942
I had all my mile splits, but alas, it took me 2 weeks to type this RR up, and I've since deleted those. OOPS!
Course: Run around the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-22 9:48 PM

, Alabama
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2009-10-16 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2421251

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon

Congrats....WTG...!!!!  Great Race even all the circunstances....!!!

I really didn't know you raced this one till now....It's really good to see ya racing again...!!!

There were some South Florida Tri-Peeps racing there...like Nicole Swift...Andrea Hattler...and...other ones...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed