Columbia Triathlon Assoc (CTA) www.tricolumbia.org
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 24s
Overall Rank = 440/1400
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 73/167
Pre-race routine:

Bagel, bananna, water at 5 am. Arrived at race site at 5:45. Warmed up, set up, and checked out the professionals. Met neighbors Marty and Mike and hung out a bit before the 7:15 am start.
Event warmup:

Just some light stretching and a brief jog. Ran the route from the swim to the transition area to practice locating my stuff for T1.
Swim
  • 22m 47s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a good swim this year, but my time was nearly a minute slower than last year. My AG ranking, though, improved from 12/130 in '04 (9.2%) to 14/167 this year (8.4%). Navigation was no problem at all this year, I purposely swam wide to get clear open water and settle into a good pace and I had good sighting to the buoys. I breath bi-laterally and sight every 12th stroke.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

I shaved 33 seconds off last year's T1 time, so I can't complain too much. I had the longest possible run from the water exit to my bike. Had a little problem with the wetsuit, first leg came off perfectly, second stuck. I chose to put on socks and put on my cycling gloves instead of doing on the bike.

Need to practice more to cut some significant time from here.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 4s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.55 km/hr
Comments:

Exactly one minute slower than last year. Better than I expected, since I've only been on my bike outdoors 2 times this year (trainer workouts and spin classes have been my primary cycling workouts this year for several reasons). This is just a fun course, lots of rollers, ups and downs. I got passed by lots of people and just didn't worry about it.

Train more on the bike outdoors, more structured training plan.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Funny, this is the EXACT time for last year's T2. No better, no worse. Thanks to my speed laces the running shoes slipped on quickly and easily - I absolutely swear by them now. I had a GU gel in my hand to take once the run started but running out of T2 I dropped it and stepped on it, spraying GU all over the place. Pretty funny, and I had an extra so no damage. My back was already aching - bad omen of things to come....

practice. Still could shave off 30 seconds pretty easily by avoiding a waist belt to carry gel packs.
Run
  • 53m 9s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 19s  min/km
Comments:

Overall a 2 minute improvement on last year's run time, the surprise of the day for me. Especially since the first 3 miles I battled a serious aching in my lower back/side that really crippled me. Some time between the 2 and 3 mile marks it became tolerable and then pretty much went away. This was nothing new or unexpected, I had a back injury about a month ago and I've felt the same pain in recent brick workouts, so I just kept running through it hoping it would work itself out. It did, and my last 3 mile splits were negative splits. I suspect my last mile was under 8:00, but I missed the mile marker and have to settle for an average across the last 2 miles. The hills seemed harder this year, probably because my running base is far less than it was last year.

Overdistance training up to 10 miles. My longest training run this year is about 7 miles, and I haven't been training on hills as much as I did last year.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training this year has been sporadic and unstructured due to several factors in my family life and a recent back injury. I did not participate in a late winter/early spring running race which would have gone a long way to force me to build up a needed running base over the winter (as it was my run was the most improved part of the race this year). Most of my cycling this year so far has been weekly spin classes and indoor trainer workouts. Though I enjoy these workouts and feel they provide some benefit, they do not adequetly substitute for outdoor rides. More bricks would be helpful, and more 2 plus hour workouts would help.

Event comments:

I love this race. I signed up for it knowing I wouldn't be as well trained as I would like to be just because it's close, it's fun, and it draws a really strong field of competitors. It was a beautiful day to race, I had a pretty good race considering how my year has gone with respect to training, and I thoroughly enjoyed the morning. Can't wait for next year.

Last updated: 2005-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:47 | 1500 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/167
Overall: 0/1400
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Xterra Vortex
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle in Centennial Lake. In-water start in water over your head, so you are treading water waiting for the gun to go off. Boat ramp/beach finish with a very short run to T1. Course is well-marked with lots of room.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:24:04 | 40 kms | 28.55 km/hr
Age Group: 108/167
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Check out the Elevation Profile at: http://www.midmdtriclub.org/images/ColumbiaTri%20Elevation%20Profile.gif. This course is known for its hills, of which there are plenty. From T1 the course travels on MD Rt 108 which can have quite heavy traffic and has a very narrow shoulder. After that it is all country/back roads and is very scenic and rolling. Much of the course is an out-and-back, though the mid-point is a loop, so some of the long climbs early in the race become long descents later in the race. (For locals this course is a favorite for training rides and weekend group rides.) One water bottle exchange around the halfway point, and once again on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:09 | 10 kms | 05m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 94/167
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 8:17; Mile 2: 9:07; Mile 3: 9:06; Mile 4: 8:53; Mile 5: 8:11 *avg over last 2 miles; Mile 6: 8:11 *avg over last 2 miles;
Course: This part of the course is also known for its hills, of which, once again, there are plenty. Course circles Centennial Lake on a 10 ft wide multi-purpose path, then exits the park (after a long climb) into local neighborhoods. One hill in the neighborhood is particularly steep, and one of the other hills is pretty long - perhaps 3/4 mile climbing by the time it's all done. The last climb, during the last mile of the run, is particularly challenging.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-24 12:15 AM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Columbia Triathlon 2005

2005-05-24 1:20 AM
in reply to: #162273

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon 2005

congratulations on a great race!  it's nice to be able to compare the same race year to year!

2005-05-24 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
good race....

thanks for the report
2005-05-24 7:44 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Nice race (especially on "light" training) and good report!

2005-05-24 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Nice race Eric ..especially considering the circumstances
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon 2005 Rss Feed