General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge 1/2 Ironman (Formerly Pineman) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota Challenge 1/2 Ironman (Formerly Pineman) - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 49m 30s
Overall Rank = 69/146
Age Group = Fellas 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

I did not sleep well. I havent been nervous for a race since my first triathlon. I had a dream that I showed up without a bike- that would make the race tougher. I got up and ate pbj and an apple and made the 81 min drive to the race
Event warmup:

jogged for about 5 minutes and swam for a few strokes to see if my goggles would leak. They didnt..then
Swim
  • 37m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Goggles decided to leak three times in the first 500 yards. I then pulled the straps so tight I think my eyeballs would pop out. But hey no more water. There were some wave issues that I figured out after swallowing a few buckets of lake.
What would you do differently?:

make sure to have well fitting goggles. I slacked off on swim training the last two months, only swimming maybe once a week. I guess the results were ok
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I pushed too hard up the hill because Brue popped up out of the water right next to me and I was trying to keep up with him up the hill- however he was running with shaved legs and I was running in black neoprene.

dont try to zip up the hill
Bike
  • 3h 06m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I was most worried about the bike. I had not figured out what nutrition would work as far 1) keeping it down and happy 2) staying fueled for bike and run. I settled on a combo of soy milk (250 cal in 20 oz) and shot blocks. Over the course of the ride I drank the soy milk and ate approx 250 cal of shot blocks. That was enough to fuel the bike but I dont think it was enough to last to the run. The actual bike went fine. I posted positive splits on each lap. That is good right? :) I had fun watching the caterpillars. I wanted to go under 3 hrs but I was still happy with the result. The wind was a little vicious on the backside but the hills felt easy (some training actually showing through)

Not much other than eat a little more. I think next year the biking should really begin to come around as this was my first year of really training for the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I didnt attempt a flying dismount because I think the time savings would not cancel the real chance of killing myself. I can do it in an OLY distance but didnt want to try it here.

I changed socks from the bike. I thought my toes were wet. Turns out they were just a little numb. There wasnt really a need for that
Run
  • 2h 01m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is the funny thing - the run felt fine. I was never in pain or cramping. I never had to change my stride. My biggest issue was - and it was the hardest thing about this distance to me- my brain said "F you". When I walked the aid stations it wasnt for any reason. My breathing was fine and legs were fine. I just struggled from about mile 4 on mentally. I think I was hungry as well. I hate gels and dont stomach food well on the run. I managed to eat half a banana at mile 9. I wanted sugar. I could have killed for super sweet koolaid, orange slices or smarties.

Eat a little more on the bike and the run. My physical conditioning was perfect. My mental conditioning was not.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching and orange slices

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental Conditioning. I felt good during all aspects of the race physically. I might have been able to go a little faster in a discipline or two but I was being a little reserved since this was my first race at this distance. I have done 4 hour rides and 3 hour runs with no issues. At five hours my brain lost it. Bad thoughts came in "quit" "cut the course" "just walk" "stop at the first loop". I was able to beat the big ones back but I talked myself into walking for no reason. I have never done that during a race. I have walked before to drink or due to a cramp or foot pain but never because I gave up mentally. It was humbling and a good learning experience. I have a lot of respect for 140.6 athletes. I am not so impressed by the physical as I am the mental aspect of it. I dont think this race distance has queered me off 70.3 or even 140.6 but I must find a way to expercise mentally prior to my next race at those distances.

All that aside I beat my goal of 6 hours and just missed my A1 goal of 5:45. I didnt get hurt and was able to fell fine the next day aside from some sore quads.

Event comments:

brown water - the new energy drink

Last updated: 2009-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 60/146
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: double rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:06:20 | 56 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Overall: 87/146
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: triple loop
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:01:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 71/146
Course: double loop, pavement and some grass
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-30 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Toyota Challenge 1/2 Ironman (Formerly Pineman)

2009-09-30 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2435171

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Toyota Challenge 1/2 Ironman (Formerly Pineman)
Comments:

I didnt attempt a flying dismount because I think the time savings would not cancel the real chance of killing myself. I can do it in an OLY distance but didnt want to try it here.

So it's ok to kill yourself in an oly?

Nice race. You're right, much of the run is mental. You looked good on the bike loops and you creamed the run finish. Well done and see you next season.
2009-09-30 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
OK.  So what's up with caterpillars?  I totally saw none!

Your RR cracked me up.  Congratulations on completing your first HIM!!!  You did great! 
2009-09-30 8:19 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I saw the caterpillars. Maybe it was something about riding for 3 hours. Perhaps a riding-induced group hallucination. :-)

Great race report. Nice job!
It is interesting the role the mind plays.

You should try a marathon. It will help in that area. I've been doing a lot of reading on the topic too. The best thing for me is anticipating the worst spots (the run turnaround 20 feet from the finish line, etc.). I don't really DO anything to prepare, but just thinking about what's going to be bad seems to really make it not so bad when I'm out there.

Funny about your run up the hill. Brue is a demon coming out of the water.

Soy milk. Hmmm. I may try that. Flavored or plain?

Great job! Congrats!
2009-09-30 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Simsbury, CT
Just did my 1st tri last Sat and when I got to the run I had the same "F OFF" from my head, So I found a slow pace and started singing Motorin whats the price for life and jsut kept saying that making random verses up to keep the Blow hard mind telling me other wise.

Only thing better than brown water is salty goodness of the ocean!

Congrats.
2009-10-01 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus
somehow i never saw a caterpillar but i am oblivious during a race

your closing comments are great - being prepared mentally for the long distances. i too gained respect for 140.6 finishers mentally over physically.

congratulations on being willing to walk- it is what you needed to finish with a great time. many endurance athletes plan walks ahead so it is more helpful and doesn't feel guilty. The water station walks I am sure were helpful.

you had a great swim (even with goggle trouble) - i thought that was you on the hill but it is hard to tell since EVERYONE is in black neoprene.

we were in the same boat - with nutrition plan questions, mental preparation and runs where your brain says stop.

but unlike you I had many blisters and pain the next day.

Edited by bruehoyt 2009-10-01 9:50 AM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge 1/2 Ironman (Formerly Pineman) Rss Feed