General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone wanna go Paleo?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-07 10:44 AM

User image

Nipomo, CA
Subject: Anyone wanna go Paleo??
Hi
Well...after much research and debate Im going 6 weeks, full Paleo Diet...
I wanted to see if anyone wants to join in....

My hope is to use this forum to encourage each other, share recipes, and discover how our bodies/training will change over the next few weeks

Let's get started!!!!!

2009-10-07 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2447467

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: Anyone wanna go Paleo??
Right now I'm following Paelo for athletes (racing IMAZ next month).  Jusst started about 2 weeks ago and still learning . . .
2009-10-07 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Totally! I've been "kinda" following it for the last few weeks and know that when I'm really good about it, I feel so much better. I have a Half Marathon this weekend so am getting back down to the nitty gritty. I love love love the recovery drink ... I make mine with apple juice, a banana, hemp protein powder (I'm allergic to dairy and they suggest soy is not so good) and frozen blueberries. Soooooo good, and I look forward to it my whole workout. I'm in!!!!
2009-10-07 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2447813

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
CeeCee - 2009-10-07 1:45 PM Totally! I've been "kinda" following it for the last few weeks and know that when I'm really good about it, I feel so much better. I have a Half Marathon this weekend so am getting back down to the nitty gritty. I love love love the recovery drink ... I make mine with apple juice, a banana, hemp protein powder (I'm allergic to dairy and they suggest soy is not so good) and frozen blueberries. Soooooo good, and I look forward to it my whole workout. I'm in!!!!

What do you use for hemp protein powder?
2009-10-07 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2447820

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
kaburns1214 - 2009-10-07 12:47 PM
CeeCee - 2009-10-07 1:45 PM Totally! I've been "kinda" following it for the last few weeks and know that when I'm really good about it, I feel so much better. I have a Half Marathon this weekend so am getting back down to the nitty gritty. I love love love the recovery drink ... I make mine with apple juice, a banana, hemp protein powder (I'm allergic to dairy and they suggest soy is not so good) and frozen blueberries. Soooooo good, and I look forward to it my whole workout. I'm in!!!!

What do you use for hemp protein powder?

Not a Paleo person, but I bought some hemp protein powder the other day. Not bad.
This stuff made by Manitoba Harvest:

2009-10-07 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2447911

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
That's exactly what I use. Manitoba Harvest Vanilla flavour. It's pretty good. When I first started using it I made oatmeal and stirred some in, thinking that would be a good thing. It was disgusting!! Yuck!!! This was, of course, before I knew Oatmeal was going the way of hamburger, bread, rice and pasta, lol ... but it's quite yummy in a recovery drink.

2009-10-07 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
I have been trying to follow Paleo for a while now.  My biggest struggle is with dairy.  While I don't do alot I usually have an ounce of cheese every other day plus I like my ranch dressing on salads.  Ughh.  I really need to get on track and start following closer.
2009-10-07 6:34 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
I just started this the other day.  Thought I'd give it a go for the next few weeks and see how things go.  I'm already missing my peanut butter and cheese
2009-10-07 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2448561

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
It sincerely helps to be allergic to dairy, with such a violent barfing reaction that I will NOT eat it ... this is a recent development (like 5 years) following a very bad bowel infection .... sigh ... I soooooo miss cheese .... but I do enjoy so many of the other things that it hasn't been all that hard. The hard thing for me is ..... chocolate .... alcohol .... sigh ... I'll say this, it has made me much more aware of what I'm putting into my body to "feed the machine" and how extremely important that is for success. I made a bargain with myself: chocolate and alcohol in moderation (I do enjoy my Bulmer's Cider) except in a race week ... then strict strict ... she said, munching happily on Asian Pear .....
2009-10-08 1:11 PM

User image

Nipomo, CA
Awesome everyone!!!!
So, its been day 2 for me.... and yes...it is not so good right now... I was a total carb guy, and fairly (243 lbs to start) big...... Well, training for triathlon is a total different animal than training for college football....

So, my biggest struggle so far is night eating... I used to love a bowl of cereal or dessert at night.....also I am still having a small portion of diary (1/2 and 1/2) with my coffee in the morning, but other than that doing great.

I am also taking Greens First twice a day. Im not the best at getting all my fruits and vegs each day, and Greens First provides 10 F/V in each serving....

My workouts have been a bit sluggish, but I expect that for a week or two until my body start using fat for energy.....

How is everyone else doing???

2009-10-08 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2449946

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Okay, true confession time ... I love to eat at night too. Last night, it was a couple mini cucumbers and an apple. And *blushes* some potato chips ... really NOT on the Paleo Diet, but hey, incremental change is still change in the right direction ... after the Half on Sunday I'll get in to my "winter maintenance" schedule for the Half Iron next summer ... I figure if I can hit the Paleo 80 - 90% of the time at this point I'm doing well. I used to be a huge carb person too (in more ways than one, lol) so it was a shift for me, but several years ago I did the low-carb diet and never really got back to huge amounts of carbs, so that made it easier for me. And I truly feel better without 'em. You're right; it takes a bit for your body to adjust, but don't give up on it ... once you make the shift, you'll wonder why you ever ate so many "empty" calories!! Well done!!

2009-10-08 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Oh yeah, I use the Silk Soy Creamer in my coffee instead of actual cream. I could drink it black, but I like that little bit of creaminess. It's pretty good ....
2009-10-08 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
You can try Almond Milk in your coffee.  I use the unsweetened vanilla flavored.
2009-10-15 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
I posted this in the "salt tablet" discussion forum too ... but wanted to report it here ... I took 22 minutes off my Half Marathon time this year, compared to last year (same route). The difference? Three things ... I am in a bit better shape (trained for and participated in an Olympic triathlon this year compared to a Sprint last year), I've been following the Paleo Diet for Athletes AND I have been using S!Caps ... I took one before the race, one at about 9 km, and one at 16 km... the race was so easy to run; my muscles had zero fatigue and my recovery was much faster. I'm convinced, both about the electrolyte replenishment through S!Caps, and the Paleo diet....
2009-10-16 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
My husband (jcbolton) and I have been following the Paleo Diet for Athletes for three weeks so far and doing great! The longer you stick with it, the less and less you crave the 'bad' stuff. If you haven't bought the book "Paleo Diet for Athletes", get it! There are several recipes in the back. Also, check out paleofood.com for more recipes. It's been fun experimenting and trying new things. I am enjoying cooking fresh, real ingredients. True flavor!
2009-10-17 12:03 AM
in reply to: #2462868

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

grbfrog - 2009-10-16 6:44 AM My husband (jcbolton) and I have been following the Paleo Diet for Athletes for three weeks so far and doing great! The longer you stick with it, the less and less you crave the 'bad' stuff. If you haven't bought the book "Paleo Diet for Athletes", get it! There are several recipes in the back. Also, check out paleofood.com for more recipes. It's been fun experimenting and trying new things. I am enjoying cooking fresh, real ingredients. True flavor!

That site you posted gave me a virus (Trojan but luckily my anti virus software blocked it). Also, a lot of stuff that was on the site was not in conformity with the Paleo Diet for Athletes like bacon for example. TPDFA advocates eating lean sources of protein and even directs you to trim off all visible fat. I read that one morning the guy had eggs and bacon cooked in bacon grease. Not exactly the diet for athletes. He also said that he eats 7 apples a day. I don't remember but I'm pretty sure the book advocates moderate to light fruit consumption but allows for any amount of vegetable consumption.

I've been meaning to go Paleo but decided to hold off until after my HIM next week. During my recovery week I'll re-read the book and implement Paleo as I train for a Janurary marathon. Just thought I'd chim in because I see a lot of misinformation about this style of eating. If you follow it 95% of the time then it doesn't matter what you eat the other 5% of the time. That works out to be about two "cheat" meals a week.

2009-10-19 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Hmmm, I've never had a problem with opening the site. I haven't been through all of the recipes, but agree that bacon is NOT paleo and we do not eat it. There is another diet similar to Paleo called Primal Eating (or blueprint). I believe that this diet does allow things like animal fats (bacon being one of them). Not sure, I have not really researched that diet. Still trying to wrap my mind around the Paleo Diet
2009-10-19 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

I would love to go Paleo but just can't figure out how to go without the cereal/wheat that just comes with breakfast and lunch meal. For breakfast I will either have some Fibre 1 cereal with honey and milk or a slice of organic whole wheat bread with PB and banana or some yogurt with granola. For lunch I'll have some raw greens with some protein but it's always in a sandwich. It's always whole wheat, always organic with various seeds, grains but still, I know this is a no-no for Paleo.

Other then that, I get 3-4 servings of fruit per day, veg, etc., but how do I get past this dependency on wheat? I'm having a hard time with this.

Of course, I'm also a night time eater as well (bowl of cereal, ice cream or some cookies) but I'll leave that for another post

Mind you, if I'm looking to fix something that's probably what I should fix first before looking at getting rid of the wheat...just talking out loud here...

2009-10-19 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2467304

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Oh, the wheat thing is hard to give up, partly because it's so convenient. For breakfast, I have scrambled eggs with veggies in 'em (onion, leftover veggies from dinner the night before, carrots, you could use peppers and so on) and sometimes will add some meat from the previous night's dinner ... lunch is usually salad with shrimp or turkey breast ... dinner usually a large salad and then meat protein of some sort, with lots of veggies. I like a veggie stir fry with chilis in oil for some heat. Sweet potatoes are good. I snack on low glycemic fruit like apples and grapes, blueberries and so on. 

I do delight in my recovery drinks, which are unashamedly full of high glycemic stuff like bananas and fruit juice, but also protein powder (I use hemp; I have a dairy allergy) and frozen blueberries ...

I will say this: once you get past the first week or so of no grains, it gets easier, and you'll notice how much worse you feel when you do eat them. Of course I go "off the wagon" now and again ... the other night after a gig I had fries and salt & pepper dry ribs and I felt rotten the next morning. So I know that it's better for my body to be "cleaner," and for me this means no grains. BUT my husband does better with grains, so everyone is different. Then again, he's got the metabolism of a hummingbird and I'm pretty  much a Wooly Mammoth Laughing

I did just run a Half Marathon 22 minutes faster than last year ... so I have to say I think it works. Not just the day-to-day diet, but the timing of recovery foods and such. Stick with it!!! Good luck!!! 
2009-10-19 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2464366

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Mirg - 2009-10-16 10:03 PM

grbfrog - 2009-10-16 6:44 AM My husband (jcbolton) and I have been following the Paleo Diet for Athletes for three weeks so far and doing great! The longer you stick with it, the less and less you crave the 'bad' stuff. If you haven't bought the book "Paleo Diet for Athletes", get it! There are several recipes in the back. Also, check out paleofood.com for more recipes. It's been fun experimenting and trying new things. I am enjoying cooking fresh, real ingredients. True flavor!

That site you posted gave me a virus (Trojan but luckily my anti virus software blocked it). Also, a lot of stuff that was on the site was not in conformity with the Paleo Diet for Athletes like bacon for example. TPDFA advocates eating lean sources of protein and even directs you to trim off all visible fat. I read that one morning the guy had eggs and bacon cooked in bacon grease. Not exactly the diet for athletes. He also said that he eats 7 apples a day. I don't remember but I'm pretty sure the book advocates moderate to light fruit consumption but allows for any amount of vegetable consumption.

I've been meaning to go Paleo but decided to hold off until after my HIM next week. During my recovery week I'll re-read the book and implement Paleo as I train for a Janurary marathon. Just thought I'd chim in because I see a lot of misinformation about this style of eating. If you follow it 95% of the time then it doesn't matter what you eat the other 5% of the time. That works out to be about two "cheat" meals a week.

I usually have Sundays as "free days" ... I think I read in the Triathlete's Training Bible (2nd ed) that sticking to a way of eating 90% of the time is good. It's a lifestyle choice ... just like training for and participating in triathlons ...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone wanna go Paleo?? Rss Feed