General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Woohoo Skinny Pants - Ironman CdA Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-10 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Woohoo Skinny Pants - Ironman CdA Edition

A couple people in the Ironman CdA thread were interested in a weight loss thread, so here we are!  I've got a goal to be down 33 lbs by the end of March, and ideally, another 10 after that.  It's definitely do-able if you look at the numbers (25 weeks), but there's no wiggle room, so I need some accountability. 

So if you have a goal, feel free to chime in, training for IM or not.  But I'd love support from anyone who has wanted to lose weight prior to IM training starting, and who was successful!

If I can lose another 13 (I've lost a couple lbs this week), I'm ordering my tri bike. 

2009-10-10 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2453239

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Woohoo Skinny Pants - Ironman CdA Edition
I'm not doing CDA, but I am doing IMOO. I need to lose at least 47 or so more at this point to get to my goal weight which isn't tiny, but I have a large frame. I've lost 105 over the past 2.5 years.

I'm also trying to drop the "bulk" of the excess by late winter. My training group starts in February and I rather not begin the more serious training also struggling with weight. Especially since IMOO has relentless hills!

Anyway if you don't mind a non-CDA person...
2009-10-10 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
yep, I'm doing IM CDA!!! would like to be 7-10 pounds lighter. IM CDA lands on my 20th birthday!! It will be a special day.
2009-10-11 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2453508

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Sure, the more the merrier!  I'm coming off of being sick this past week.  I still managed a run this week and a tough, hilly 10K race yesterday (I was 1:27 off of beating my 10K PR from a flat course).  I think today might be a trainer ride or a 4 mile recovery run.  

The biggest adjustment for me has been learning that I can't splurge after a workout.  I'm trying to stay around 1600 calories and then fuel my workouts, but not eat anything extra, so that the calorie burn goes towards my weight loss. 

2009-10-13 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware

I'll definitely chime in.  This is round #3 with IM (I'm 1 for 1), and for this go-round, I'm trying to shake things up a lot with my preparation.  I keep thinking of the phrase "if you keep doing what you've always done, you'll get the same results you always get".  I think one of the big things holding me back has been some extra weight.  I'm not heavy for an average person, but I want to work toward some aggressive goals that will require weight loss. 

My goal is to get to 150 by Christmas, and then work toward a race weight of probably 140.  This is all speculation at this point, as I haven't weighted that since high school.  I'm not sure how my body will respond (if that's too light), so I'll make adjustments as I go.

The incentive of a tri-bike would do it for me!!  I've been trying to think of something to work toward like that.  I'm thinking of ordering the race outfit I want to wear in the size I'll be at my goal.  But...what I really want is race wheels.  Only problem is a bit of a price gap between the two items...

Thanks for starting this thread - I think it'll be a great resource!

2009-10-13 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2457835

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Jess, yah seriously, an outfit is probably much cheaper than wheels But whatever does the trick, right? Are you guys interested in a weekly weigh-in or at least a check-in? I'd love the accountability! I may either re-up with my nutritionist or join WW (just for the weekly weigh in accountability).  I wanted to lose 10 or so on my own first and work on adding the good habits back in. 

My issue right now is that I am maintaining the right number of calories for weight loss (1600), but the quality of what I'm eating isn't there.  I haven't been good about eating every 2 hours (my plan is generally 6 meals a day, 2 hours apart, combining a carb and protein, and fueling workouts but not eating back those calories otherwise), and my food choices haven't been the best they can be.  I really need to work on eating more fruits/veggies and cooking more (I hate cooking!).  I tend to do better when I plan the day out either the night before as I pack my food, or that morning before work.  When I have healthy stuff available, it's much easier to stick to the plan. 

I have been really good at talking myself out of some of the bad habits, though!  Woohoo! Small victories there!

2009-10-14 4:46 AM

User image

Master

I will play along.

When I started tri'ing 6 years ago I was lost somewhere around 250 pounds. Did IMCDA 08 at 185 and hover around 200 today. I need to get to the starting line in 2010 at a healthy 180. It is quite doable and a good weight for me being 6'3.

2009-10-14 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I would love to get in on this. I'm doing IMCDA as my first IM and want to get back to 120lbs. I lost 55 lbs about 3 years ago, but have gained about 20 back in the last year due to thinking I could eat whatever I wanted since I was training for a HIM, marathon, etc. No...no I really can't. So, goals and a weekly weigh in would be great.

One thing that was really effective for me when I lost weight initially was doing a weigh in, measurements, and body composition check in with a personal trainer once a month. Knowing I would have to face her with the results of what I had or hadn't been doing each month kept me on track. I just need to figure out a way to do this while traveling all over the Northwest with my hubby.

I'll figure out specific goals and post them later. I'm off to yoga and swim now. Thanks for starting this!
2009-10-25 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2459087

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

My weigh-in day is Friday (I joined WW for the weigh in accountability).  This is my first official week back on WW and everything is going well so far.  If anyone else wants to weigh in on Fridays, feel free to post your progress!

2009-10-26 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
So Cal
i'm training for my very first triathlon and it makes me soooo hungry!!!I'm especially hungry immediately after a workout and the next morning all I want is food! I was pretty active before training; mainly cycling. I guess it's this cross training that has my body wanting more fuel. I'm not really training to lose weight, but I would like to know any secrets some of you have about controlling an insatiable appetite!
2009-10-30 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2478157

User image

Norcross, GA
I wanna participate too for some extra accountability! Just got back from the Friday WW meeting (missed you) and am down 1.8. That makes 7.8 since starting WW the beginning of October - Yippee!! IMCDA will be here faster than we think. My goal is to lose 15 more before December 31. So far I'm on track!!

2009-11-08 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2489490

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Yay! Down 1.8 last week also.  I was out of town for weigh-in this time, so I'm hoping to be down again for next weigh-in.  Just got back from cheering at IMFL and totally motivated to get some meat off these bones

2009-12-01 5:27 PM

New user

Me too me too!
I'm training for my first half marathon. Did my first sprint over the summer and now I'm suffering from late onset athleticism. I've gotten stronger, and a little leaner, but the scale ain't budging. And I find I often use a long run as an excuse to eat more! bad bad bad!

I can't afford WW, although in the past, I've lost up to 40 pounds through the plan. I'd like to track my calories/points on my own, but still have support and community.

Can I jump on your banwagon?

Cheers!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Woohoo Skinny Pants - Ironman CdA Edition Rss Feed