View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pinehurst, North Carolina
United States
Total Time = 3h 48m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Novice female
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 on the road by 5am, while in line for packet pick up (around 6:30) I had a bagel with peanut butter and strawberry jam. Had a coffee on the drive. Brought a banana but didn't feel I needed it. Bathroom break and some water and I was set to go.
Event warmup:

Just some light stretches, in hindsight a quick swim would have been helpful here.
Swim
  • 44m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

In a nutshell, I freaked out. I don't know if it was the out of water start, the cold water, the wetsuit or what but I started to hyperventilate. I tried to get my stroke going but I would try to catch my breath underwater which doesn't work out too well. So, thank goodness for wetsuit buoyancy, I sort of chilled out and treaded water for a few seconds to calm myself down, tried to swim again, still couldn't do it. There were two other people behind me, both getting rescued to I was literally DFL, such a humbling thing. I could not have another Triangle race in which I swam the entire thing with my head out of water. I started weigh my options. Get rescued and DNF, maybe I could still bike and run but not officially. Should I screw it all and just quit. Ugh I am so not a quitter and I would never hear the end of it. So I tried one more time and finally calmed by breath down enough to swim. I was so proud of myself for getting my shit together. I actually started passing people! Well ok not too many but enough to not be the last out of the water. I felt like I swam forever, and once I turned to get back to shore I felt like the chop really picked up but I knew I was almost done and nothing could stop me now!
What would you do differently?:

Um, warm up in the water. I never do this but given the fact that it's been over a month since my last tri and even though I have been swimming in colder water with the wetsuit it would have been beneficial to do some warm up laps, lesson learned.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Getting the wetsuit off was super easy but I was really shaking so I had to take some deep breathes and calm myself down so I could get my bike shoes on. I was already nervous about mounting my bike with the clipless pedals and the swim fiasco was still on my mind.

Nothing, yeah I was slow but I needed the extra minute or so to get in the bike frame of mind.
Bike
  • 1h 58m 4s
  • 30 miles
  • 15.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Took some time to get into my clipless pedals but finally got in without falling over, success! I am familiar with the bike route so I knew what was ahead of me, I didn't remember the gradual hill at the very beginning and I think I was still trying to calm myself down because I could not get my legs moving. The first 10 miles were brutal because of the head wind. I felt like I was crawling. About 30 minutes in a took a gel, had some water and tried to blow the rest of the lake water out of my nice, then I got to business. Since i was in the back of the race it is really a different experience because you bike by yourself at some point, no one is out there to challenge you or for you to pass, it's weird. So I had to keep my head in it and hammer it. The second 10 miles were great, I started passing people and went back and forth with this guy, I would beat him up the hills and he would beat me down the hill, it kept things interesting. At the 20 miles mark I took another gel and water and nose blowing and concentrated on making the hills "my bitch." I knew I was in for a challenge and I just kept hammering up the hills, I knew I was almost done and then I would finally be on the run. The hills weren't as bad as I remembered in the training ride, which is a good thing! At this point I knew my race time would be nothing stellar so I was in it for the fun and the experience.

Bring solid food to eat before the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

I stopped way before the dismount line to get out of my pedals without falling over, came out easily and had no problem getting off the bike...hooray! Had heavy legs and wasn't used to running in the bike shoes so felt really weird. Took my time to get the bike shoes off and the running gear on, then couldn't find the run out...whoops, need to find that before the race next time!
Run
  • 1h 01m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Everyone mentioned how hilly the run course was but to be honest, I train on hills so I wasn't at all worried about it. Took me a good mile or so for my legs to loosen up but after that I was golden. The miles came really fast for me but my problem was that around mile 2 I was STARVING! Like gels and HEEd weren't gonna cut it, I needed solid food. I wish I brought a bar or rice crispy treat :) to munch on but another lesson learned. I stopped at each water station to try to get something in my stomach but it ended up making me nauseous and burpy. But I trucked along and didn't stop for anything. Passed a decent amount of people walking up the hills. Had a chaffing problem under my right arm which was killing me, note to self to Body Glide that in the future. Otherwise I felt like this was a decent run time, certainly room for improvement but am overall happy with it.

Solid food and Body Glide.
Post race
Warm down:

Once I finished I went straight for food, grabbed a bottle of water and a hot dog and a cookie. Had the cookie and water and about half the hotdog before the sweet/fake ketchup made me nauseous again. All I wanted was a bagel and fruit but there was NONE! So disappointed in Set Up for the lack of reasonably healthy food. Stared packing up my mess of my transition area and found the banana from this morning! Hooray! I inhaled it and instantly started feeling better! It started raining at this point and we were both exhausted so we made our way home. Yes I fell asleep on the ride home, I couldn't help it :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition, I need to bring more and eat more on the bike and bring a small emergency bar on the run in case I am totally empty. May try the peanut butter pretzels Harold had, would be easy for me to eat on the bike since I still get a little squirrely on the bike when I try to eat and drink.

Event comments:

I will say the volunteers were great at this race, especially the guys at the water bottle handoff on the bike course, they were awesome and very motivating!

Last updated: 2009-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:33 | 1640 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless Xterra wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:58:04 | 30 miles | 15.25 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:04 | 06.21 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %3 lbs
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-10-11 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2009-10-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2453710

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
nice job!

next year will be a different experience, fo sho!
2009-10-11 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Nice job Jenn.
I also like the race report. Nothing like making the hills your and also great that you were able to get your together on the swim, it will keep improving.
I bet you are appreciating your 19 and 20 mile runs a little more now than the days you did them.
2009-10-11 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
For a tough course you did excellent jennifer!  The run couse looked to be easir for you than some of the people I talked to.  Keep working on those OWS.  I'll be working on all 3 parts!  Overall great job on a tough couse!
2009-10-11 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2453868

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Great job toughing it out on the swim and making the hills your b1tches (loved that!) Congrats on doing such a tough race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed