Greater Hartford Marathon Foundation
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 29m 43s
Overall Rank = 1411/2224
Age Group = F3034
Age Group Rank = 74/134
Pre-race routine:

Wow, it's been forever since I wrote a race report. Let's see if I remember how. I wasn't even going to but Steve keeps buggin me for one, so here we go.

Woke up at 5AM in order to have my breakfast 2.5 hours before race start. Ate the same thing I always eat before my long runs, 1 sprouted grain english muffin w/PB and sugarfree preserves. Then, because I work better on long runs with some protein in me, I had my whey shake with a banana and some ice. Straightened my hair (don't ask), got dressed, and we were out the door by 6:50.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Sat on the steps of the capitol building and chatted with some random people. My heart rate was abnormally high for just sitting around, something like 110 beats per minute (normally it's in the 50's). Once I got into the starting area, it went crazy. I saw it go up to 142 but it was hovering in the 130's for the most part. That's nuts! It's weird because I wasn't feeling nervous, but my body was definitely flipping out.
Run
  • 4h 29m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Miles 1-3 were crowded, with a lot of weaving in and out of people to pass them. I thought I was pretty reasonably placed at the start, by the 4:15 pace group sign, but the halfers seemed to be all over the place with their random walking and texting(!). Running the tangents was almost impossible with that many people, and by mile 2 my Garmin distance was off by about .15 miles, so I knew I had done a particularly bad job at it.

Once the half marathoners broke away around mile 5, things got nice. Less talking, more business. The out and back portion into South Windsor is the best part of the course, fairly flat and with plenty of spectators. This part was a breeze. I chose to run with a 20oz Nathan bottle, and this plan worked out pretty well because water stations annoy me. It was pretty easy to take the top off and refill my bottle every third stop or so.

Once we got back into East Hartford at around mile 18, the tone of the race started to change. A group of runners came up behind me, possibly the 4:30 pace group. One member of the group (the pacer?) was talking about how this was his 20th marathon, and he was warning the other members about the wall they were going to hit at mile 21, going into great detail about all the ways they were going to fall apart. Another guy was like "yeah my hamstring is already starting to tighten up". What the hell? Can't we just enjoy what's going on around us rather than focusing on the doom that's coming in three miles? Finally I couldn't take it anymore, and I told them they were being mighty discouraging. Which was way nicer than what I was thinking. They shut up, and as we passed the water stop they must have started walking, because I never heard those self-destructive whiny beetches again.

Everything was pretty peachy up until about mile 23ish, after we had gone through Hartford and then headed back out towards the hinterlands. This part of the course was pretty torturous, all highway overpasses and road noise. Very cruel. At this point, the course also started to roll a bit. For some reason, I did fine on the hills, mostly because running the downhills and flat portions was really starting to hurt, but also because there were lots of people to pass on the hills. I'm the most competitive slow runner ever.

Miles 24-25 were rough. I have no idea where we were, but it felt like hell. Even worse than normal Hartford. Stopping to walk wasn't an option, because I didn't train with walking and knew if I tried now, things would completely lock up. But because there were no spectators at this point, I was able to go into my little runner zone and just keep moving.

Finally we started heading back into Hartford proper. I could smell the post race food and began to enjoy the spectators that had been missing over the past few miles. I saw that the sub-4:30 was possible, so I booked it to the finish line. Yes! I'm hooked on marathons for sure.

Here's me splits from the Garmin. You can see I wasn't enjoying miles 23-25 very much.
Note that Garmin had my distance at 26.57, with a pace of 10:09
1 9:54 169
2 9:54 175
3 10:11 177
4 10:00 177
5 10:02 176
6 10:17 174
7 10:02 171
8 9:56 171
9 10:01 169
10 10:02 168
11 10:10 167
12 10:02 165
13 10:09 167
14 10:02 168
15 10:04 169
16 10:04 168
17 10:15 166
18 10:01 166
19 10:09 165
20 10:28 165
21 10:07 167
22 10:17 167
23 10:26 165
24 10:48 162
25 10:36 164
26 10:16 165
  • 57 9:23 169

• What would you do differently?:

Nothing this time around, but I am definitely changing my training up for my next marathon (starting with more run mileage and more than two 20 milers). Overall, I'm really happy with my pacing, because my first half and second half splits were within 3 minutes of one another. My goal was to run a smart race, and not end up hating the marathon. Success!
    Post race
    Warm down:

The pain was incredible! Found Steve and the in-laws, and then I laid down on the ground and put my feet up until finally, I was able to hobble over to the food tent and get some apple-y junk. On the way home we went to the diner so I could have some eggs and french fries.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm.... yeah. That would definitely be getting into a car accident last November and not being able to train very much in the off season.

Event comments:

good shirts, humongous finisher medals, ok course (for hartford), good organization. Needs more port-o-potties, and it would be super if they could start the half separate from the full or make some corrals.

Last updated: 2009-10-10 12:00 AM
    Running
    04:29:43 | 26.2 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
    Age Group: 0/134
    Overall: 0/2224
    Performance: Good
    Course: Around Hartford to East Hartford, and then an out and back in South Windsor before returning to Hartford via highway overpasses and a river trail. It gets pretty rolling toward the end, maybe after mile 21 if I remember correctly. Supposedly they added more port-o-potties this year, but there were not nearly enough.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 5
    Physical exertion [1-5] 4
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Good
    Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
    2009-10-13 6:09 PM

Subject: Hartford Marathon

2009-10-13 6:30 PM
    in reply to: #2457961

User image

Master
    CT
    Subject: RE: Hartford Marathon

You ran a really smart race Danielle! Very nice job with your pacing and pushing through to the end to achieve your goal.

Agree that it would be nice not to have to deal with all the half runners at the beginning and would be nice if they could seed themselves correctly!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Hartford Marathon Rss Feed