Baltimore, Maryland
United States
Baltimore Runing Festival
Total Time = 4h 15m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was a pacer for the 4:15 pace team. Didn't feel well for about 4 weeks heading into this race, but still felt like 4:15 was reasonable even with my poor recent running. Had a gatorade and a Clif Bar, my standard for marathons.
Event warmup:

Headed down early to meet with the teams, get our team picture, did a light jog around and to the start to get the heart pumping.
Run
  • 4h 15m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was pretty much to stick to the 9:43 pace and that's what we did, not much exciting going on there. Our team did have a few tricks to keep people in our group occupied. One pacer wore bells from mile 12 on. Me, I had a screaming flying "woot monkey" (see avatar) tied to my back, and I carried one of those horns that you see at baseball games (and Savageman). Early on, I got the awful idea to blow the horn once for each mile gained, at each mile marker. Meaning 3 at 3, 4 at 4, etc. The mention of it got the group really pumped to see me do 20 at mile 20, so I stuck with it.

Most of our group stuck with us for a long time, even up the bad hills at mile 18 and into Lake Montebello, which was pretty exciting. There were a lot of new marathoners in our group as well, and they were getting pretty excited at their finish and the prospect of finishing at 4:15. Up 33rd street, we are really hitting the half marathoners, and making more of an effort to go around them. That combined with being at mile 22, had some of our group falling off. But, at mile 22, with me thinking that no one was around, I go to blow the horn, and I hear the now familiar counting "one.. two.. three.. four.." - wow they are still with us! Except, now it means that yes I am blowing 22 times and someone will notice if I don't. :-)

After mile 22 we make the most significant turn of the course - the turn to start heading towards the stadiums and down hill. We hit the gummi station, avoiding slippage, bump over one little hill and then it's downhill the rest of the way. At 23 and 24 I notice that we've lost most of the group, but we still have some left. We told those who felt good to head off ahead of us, and at least one did (yeah!! So cool to see.). One stayed with us, and one fell off slightly behind. At mile 25 and 26 I really struggled to blow that horn 26 times. Everytime I blew it, it was sucking the life out of me. But I wanted to stick with this stupid idea since I started it. Thankfully our mile through Camden Yards was a bit easier so right when I was about to give up on the idea, I had enough strength to finish it off. People said they heard the horn from far far away, so I love the idea if I can handle it.

We end up finishing at 4:15:07. One person we paced stayed from beginning to end, and another person came in at 4:16. Hard to tell where the others finished but I am sure more finished right around us. Pretty exciting to see people through to their goals.
What would you do differently?:

One of these days I am going to start off my marathon day by waking up at 3, eating a bunch of pancakes, and going back to sleep, just to see how well that works. I have read about folks doing that, and I like the idea of topping off, but getting out of bed at 3am just feels like idiocy. Right now I wake up with just enough time to make it to the race, so something light like a gatorade and Clif Bar, is what I do.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, got some wraps to eat, and changed clothes. Toe nails were black so changing into sandals made a huge impact for my emotional status. I'm not too happy with black toenails. These shoes were already a 1/2 size up, and I have another marathon in 3 weeks, and the JFK 50 in 6 weeks. Maybe I didn't have my shoes tight enough for these downhills? Maybe I need shoes with a bigger toebox? I have Asics GT-2130s right now. Not much time left to figure all this out.

Last updated: 2009-09-01 12:00 AM
Running
04:15:07 | 26.2 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Uphill for the first 4-6 miles, then a nice downhill til 9, flat until 16, the significant hills start at 18, over at 20. Rolling until 22, then mostly downhill to the finish. This race finishes fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-10-14 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon

2009-10-14 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2459681

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon
Nice job, Dave!  I sure as heck couldn't blow a horn 26 times at the end of a race...

I've got the GT-2140s (the next year from the 2130s) and I like them a lot better.  I think the '40s are going to be retired soon, as I got a good price on a new pair at the expo.  I also wear the "wide" version (2E I think it's called) which gives you extra room in the toebox. 

I was definitely considering doing another race soon, otherwise the result of the past one will drive me nuts.  I was thinking either Harrisburg or Richmond - any other suggestions?

Today at work I read about the tragic death at mile 25 of the race - an ivy league grad in grad school at MIT, in his 20s.  It makes my race seem like not much of a big deal.
2009-10-14 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Thanks!

The nice thing about the Asics Gt-2XXX series is that the last year's models end up being super cheap when they are being phased out.  I have gotten some for $4x.00.  Got my most recent pair for $59.99.

I wondered about the wide versions.  I went to Sports Authority last night and tried on some 4Es from New Balance and they seemed big height-wise, and not width.  Do you definitely get more toe room in the Asics 2Es?

Yeah it's funny how people die near the end of races.  I think we just push ourselves beyond what we should sometimes.  Once I was at a race where a dude died at the finish line of a 5k.  This MIT guy seems like a fast guy.  I searched for previous marathons and didn't see any, it's likely his first.  1 mile from his first marathon finish.

I don't know much about Richmond except people like it.  I did do Harrisburg as a disaster recovery race once, I liked it, and did well considering it was a 2 week rest period.  It's pretty flat except for some small rollers around a park at mile 22.  The Harrisburg full is much like the Harrisburg Half if you have done that.

I like NCR but that one is a bit further off.  I am doing Raleigh (City of Oaks) which I am looking forward to, but the full marathon has a reputation for being really hilly.  But it's in Umstead Park, place for the famed ultra, so I'm excited about it

Edited by kalalau 2009-10-14 4:38 PM
2009-10-15 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Great job Dave. I used to have the black toe problem. I've been using the new Under Armour shoes this year. They have this foot sleeve thing which keeps my foot from sliding around in the toe box. I came out of my 50K with no tow problems which was amazing for me.

You should be hitting your stride by the time the JFK rolls around. I know you'll do well there.
2009-10-15 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Thanks.  I do have a pair of Under Armours and there are pretty nice but the foot sleeve does not do me very well.  The seam tears into my foot and caused issues.  I looked at some of the recent ones and I see some without a sleeve.

2009-10-15 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Dave, great job on the Baltimore Marathon and I want to thank you!  I was in the 4:15 pace group with you.  My name is Linda and I was running my first marathon & had a blue shirt on.  You, Anne, Ed and the other 2 guys were so entertaining!  I love the "monkey on your back" theme and the horn was so fun and motivating.  Thank you!  I stayed with you for about 5 miles and then I ran ahead.  Then I heard you guys behind me cheering "Go Linda"  at about mile 24.  Then I picked up the pace again and finished at 4:14.
It was so much fun, thanks again to the GEICO pacers and you! 
You will do great at the JFK! 

2009-10-15 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2461448

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Terps421 - 2009-10-15 2:24 PM Dave, great job on the Baltimore Marathon and I want to thank you!  I was in the 4:15 pace group with you.  My name is Linda and I was running my first marathon & had a blue shirt on.  You, Anne, Ed and the other 2 guys were so entertaining!  I love the "monkey on your back" theme and the horn was so fun and motivating.  Thank you!  I stayed with you for about 5 miles and then I ran ahead.  Then I heard you guys behind me cheering "Go Linda"  at about mile 24.  Then I picked up the pace again and finished at 4:14.
It was so much fun, thanks again to the GEICO pacers and you! 
You will do great at the JFK! 

Haha, that's awesome, thanks for the feedback!  It's great to see people take off ahead of us.  How far ahead of us did you get during the race before we caught you again?

Congratulations on your first marathon!!  And to beat the goal time!  That's really something.

I just looked up your pictures, and yes I remember you, even at the start!  So cool.

Edited by kalalau 2009-10-15 5:03 PM
2009-10-16 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Nice race, Dave.  You are a great pacer, not only for hitting the mark, but for being a great motivator/distraction.  I can imagine you were re-thinking the horn decision near the end.  You're too funny.  :-)  I'm sure everyone that stuck with you was happy to be in your group. 

I have no doubt the 4:45 group came in close to the mark.  Not only was I not up for 4:45 that day on that course, but they were selling the Galloway kool-aid pretty hard.  (I hope they aren't reading this!!)  I believe it can work, but when you haven't trained that way, it's rough running 9:44's instead of 10:58's walk break or no!!  Eventually I'll do my race report so you can indulge in the details of my race.  ;-)
2009-10-16 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Thanks!  I look forward to reading your report.

I didn't get to talk to the 4:45 team very much after the race, I was pretty cold and hungry. :-)  They do like feedback though, so if you send some, they will take it into consideration for next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Marathon Rss Feed