Columbus Marathon
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 29m 13s
Overall Rank = 2851/4076
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 143/247
Pre-race routine:

Had first chiro adjustment Friday to help make hips level.
Saturday ate bison for lunch and chicken and pasta (cream sauce) for dinner.
Came home after dinner and had a terrible case of the runs for an hour. Tried to drink a lot of water to make up for it.
Slept like a LOG.
Got up and had green tea and toast with peanut butter.
Wore my race outfit with a throwaway thrift store windbreaker and a flannel sheet wrapped around my legs until the start.
Event warmup:

None - walked from the car.
Wore my race outfit with a throwaway thrift store windbreaker and a flannel sheet wrapped around my legs until the start.
Run
  • 4h 29m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Very cold start.
Felt good. Ran with JeremyTrains the whole way. He hadn't trained and said he would drop off at some point, but never did.
1-17 were good. Felt like no problem. Stopped to pee twice. Saw dh (David tri's) at start, mile 7 and mile 13.
17-20 was where things started to go bad last year, so I was concentrating on this part.
At 20 I thought I was home free, then looked around and realized that's where my stomach cramps had started last year. Actually felt them at the exact same spot and convinced myself it was psychosomatic.
20 to 22 were OK, but we had run out of things to talk about. However Jeremy was very good mentally and was shouting things to the crowd. We were in UA, which is where he moved to, so he was yelling stuff to the spectators.
22-23 was quieter. I knew I would see dh again at 23 and was looking for him for a mental boost. Jeremy saw him as we were almost past him, and we also saw Brue (bruehoyt). That was good. A nice distraction. Then we had a couple hills, which, at that point, were really tough. It was all mental from that point on, but 24 to 25 were pretty silent. No bands really, and Jeremy and I were both just quiet. His foot was hurting a lot. I was hurting, too and really wanted to walk, but didn't say anything. He was picking up the pace, either to get done faster, or to try to get a different footfall that was more comfortable. Mile 25 was nice because the crowds and music picked up, and we could see finishers out on the course cheering, so I started to think about the finish and being done. I also remembered I set my Garmin for a 26.2 virtual partner and knew my watch would stop before the end of the race, since the course is a little longer (for regulation sake), and we not gone in a perfectly straight line. I did catch it when it shut off, and started the timer back up. By then we were coming up to the last turn.
I was really happy to be done and felt great for one minute, then immediately felt cold and tight and awful and found a curb to sit down on.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe a little more training in the final month. After my HIM, I stopped running and swimming to focus on running, but this resulted in lower overall fitness, because I was only running about every other day.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Could barely walk. Walked around the finish area and back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.
Also was talking a lot at the beginning and not paying a ton of attention to my form. Although this turned out to be mostly OK, because the chiro adjustment made it easier for me to hold a good posture.

Event comments:

I don't really do post race stuff. The schwag was not much this year. I think because of the economy. But we did get a free Headsweats hat at the finish. That was nice.

Last updated: 2009-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
04:29:13 | 26.2 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 143/247
Overall: 2851/4076
Performance: Good
1:00:59 at the 10K mark (9:48 pace) 2:11:32 at the half (10:01 pace) 3:25:18 at the 20K (10:15 pace) 4:29:13 total (10:16 pace)
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-19 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Columbus Marathon

2009-10-20 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2466322

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Columbus Marathon
Great Job! Nice race. Way to set a goal and get there.
2009-10-20 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Great job.  Running a full marathon on not even on my radar, though I have a half trail run this Sunday.  Good job hanging in there from miles 20 to 25.

2009-10-20 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus
You sure had me fooled at 23 miles. You looked like you were having fun. Glad I could be a distraction.

Excellent job meeting goals, setting a PR and doing this only 3 weeks after a HIM.

2009-10-22 10:21 PM

User image

New user

Nice job on the run. I swear by my chiropractor. I went 1-2x a week until the race. Way to hang in there for the final few miles!
2009-10-24 9:04 PM

User image

Regular
Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus Marathon Rss Feed