Nike
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 06m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 355/2102
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, dressed, ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich and had a water with nuun in it and a shot of espresso. I didn't want to drink too much liquid, as I didn't want to have to use the portapotties on the run. I was going to call a cab but decided to run down to the main street to catch one, and when I got there, the Muni streetcar was taking off, so I hopped on that and got to Union Square with plenty of time to spare. Met up with the LUNA Chix who were running the race and then dropped our stuff off at the buses so we'd have clothes at the finish line. Then we stepped out the front door of the hotel into the corral. It was a madhouse but completely exciting and fun. Everyone was smiling and happy and excited. The fog was coming up but it was clear--earlier the stars had been out--so it was going to be good running weather. I ate a gel right before race start. Kelly from SF LUNA Chix and I started out running together.
Event warmup:

My 7 block run to the Muni was my warm up. I stretched in the hotel lobby a bit, especially my glutes, since they have been bothering me for a while now. (They did not bother me on the run at all!)
Run
  • 2h 06m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

What fun this race was....so many people were on the course cheering along the way. There was a choir, breakdancers, rock bands, Scottish bagpipers....even a tragic looking tranny wearing a big ol' smile for us. It was very crowded, especially when the road narrowed and bottlenecked the runners. I spent a lot of time dodging walkers and slower runners, people who swing their arms wildly when walking, etc etc. But it was fun and I made a game of it and didn't worry about it! The water stations were all on the right side of the road, which was a little bit challenging, since if you didn't get over immediately, you were past the station and missed out. I figured that out after I missed the first one. After that, I drank at each one, also at some of them ate an orange slice, some LUNA moons and a little bit of gatorade. Mostly I just had water. It was nice not having anything strapped to me like a fuel belt or ipod. I listened to other people talking to each other, coaches cheering, spectators screaming, and when we came down the hill to the ocean, it was amazing to hear the waves. I was so surprised at how fast this race went by. Every mile my Garmin would beep at me, and I was always surprised that another mile had gone by already. I hadn't done any serious training--long runs--since my half ironman, and was sort of worried that I wouldn't feel all that great on the run. That was not true--my body felt great and I didn't have any issues at all--not even my usual chafing from my bra or rubbing of the shoes...nothing. My legs didn't hurt on any hills, either....all in all, it was amazing!

The finish was fun--the firemen handed us our Tiffany box with our finish necklace in it, and we were sort of passed along down the line getting emergency blankets, finisher t shirt, food, water etc. I picked up my bag with my coat in it, took one pic with the ocean behind me and spent another hour tracking down a cab to get me back to my friend's place. Great brunch afterward and another fun night out in San Fran with some sushi and a drag show. My muscles weren't even sore. Hmmm. Loved it.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking while searching for a taxi!! Like an hour's worth.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowds--next year I will start in a faster corral.

Event comments:

I look forward to doing this race again.....most definitely!!!

Last updated: 2009-09-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:06:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/2102
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
The Garmin showed my final mileage as 13.36. Per mile: 1-9:49 2-9:32 3-9:55 4-10:49 5-9:13 6-9:14 7-10:59 8-8:38 9-10:09 10-9:15 11-9:01 12-9:25 13-8:29 .32-7:53
Course: This was a beautiful course! I decided to leave the ipod at home for this one, and am glad I did. It was nice to experience this day. We went through downtown, up along the waterfront and along Marina Park, and then over the Presidio hill and down to the ocean and into Golden Gate park. One small loop through the park and back to the ocean for the finish. There were some hills on the course, but none of them were awful. I was mentally prepared for worse and quite used to hill running, so not a big deal.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-19 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: Nike Women's Half Marathon

2009-10-19 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2467687

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Nike Women's Half Marathon

I'll post some photos soon and my overall results--I can't find out how many people ran the 1/2 mary in total.....but I will!

2009-10-20 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats! I probably saw you run by our apartment at Baker Beach (Presidio), A really nice morning for your race.
2009-10-20 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Yay!! Awesome race, Leslie. You make all your races sound like so much fun, but I definitely want to do this one with you next year (maybe I'll talk you into the marathon...). You lucked out this year with gorgeous weather, of course. Just reading your report made me want to go outside and run the course right now. (Sort of. I'd prefer it with firemen at the finish.)

And you left the iPod at home!

It was great hanging out with you Saturday night. Next time I'm visiting you for sure. Find a good race for me. Maybe a nice half mary in late winter/early spring? Heh. I like ordering up races.
2009-10-21 8:22 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Nice job sister! Maybe we can both do this one next year

2009-10-22 6:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome job and the Tiffany's necklace makes it all worth it :-).  Gotta love the little blue box. 

2009-10-23 10:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-10-24 12:43 PM

Veteran
North Bend, WA

great report...glad you had a good time.  Lucky you that weren't sore!  I was doing the marathon hobble the rest of the week....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nike Women's Half Marathon Rss Feed