General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Douglasville Moonlight Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

City of Douglasville Moonlight Run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Douglasville, Georgia
United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 18m 7s
Overall Rank = 12/620
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/27
Pre-race routine:

Walked around downtown Douglasville with my wife. We enjoyed the sights, the band, and the people.
Event warmup:

At 8:30PM, I ran the 1 mile fun run with all the kids. Got back to my car, where my wife was waiting (staying warm). I took a Hammer Gel shot, then we both headed to the bathroom at the conference center.

Afterward, we kissed and headed our ways. I went to the front of start, and wife went to the back.
Run
  • 18m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Official Time: 18:07
Unofficial Time: 18:03

5:25, 5:57, 5:59, 0:46

1 AG
12 OA

I made my way to the front of the 5K and found my buddy Francisco up there. We bumped fists, then started talking. The Kenyans(?) were up at the front, talking in their native tongues. It was very interesting for me to see and hear them. They sounded very humble, but I knew they were absolute badasses.

The race director then directed everyone that couldn't run "sub 20" to fall back some, since the front line was being crowded/pushed. It was funny to see a team of guys wearing black bras up in the front. I told Francisco that they must have lost a bet. Some guys behind me laughed at that comment.

At the "go!", one of the "black bras" sprinted to the front. One of the top runners looked at him like he was crazy, then caught up to him. By the first 1/4 mile, the black bra guy was huffing and puffing hard. I knew he was done. As I passed him, I thought to myself, "D00d, b/c of that little stunt you just pulled off, you're going to have a LOOOOONG 5K."

I was right up there with the top guys at the end of the first mile. First place was about 15 seconds ahead when I passed the 1 mile marker. 5:25 for that first mile. Too fast, brother, but I didn't care. Keep it up, I say!

I made some of the volunteers laugh right after the first mile. The top guys were ahead of me at a corner gas station. As I rounded the corner, I yelled to the police and volunteers, "they're TOO fast!" I heard them all laugh and one yelled "catch them"! haha, yeah right.

At the start of the second mile, there were a few rollers that really took it out of me. I saw the top runners start to break away. Noooo! Come back!

As I started the second loop, I did not expect to see the crowds of ppl running/walking. They looked like zombies. I didn't want to yell at anyone, so I started to breathe a little harder. They would hear me and move. Some would yell, catch those guys up there! :)

I hit the second mile at 11:15 or so. I could see the top runners about 1/4 mile ahead. I was starting to feel really fatigued and winded. My body was yelling at me, "Hey, AHOLE...you took off the whole month of October AND you want to run this hard? F-you!" Haha.

At the 2.25 mile mark, some d00d in a dark gray Nike shirt came up on me. We ran together for a while, but I just didn't have it. He passed me slowely. Then, the OA 3rd female came up on me. I pumped myself up, "D00d, it's time to HTFU. Do NOT let her pass you!" She made several attempts to get past me, but I held her off. At the 2.85 mile mark, I dug down and started to sprint. It was uphill, but that didn't matter. The crowd was cheering! I don't know if it was for her or me, or if it was b/c of the EPIC battle that we were fighting, but it started to get louder and louder. Maybe it was for her, but I like to think it was for me! ;) I dropped her (she put up a fight, though) and then almost caught dark gray Nike d00d. The crowd started to cheer louder as we approached the finish! I could see the clock! I could maybe go sub 18!!! Ron, push it! SPRINT! GOOOOOOOO! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Big red numbers on the clock started to taunt me! 17:51....17:52.....17:53.....I was SOOOOOOO close to catching Nike d00d, but I ran out of room. He finished at 17:57 or so...I crossed at 18:03.

After I crossed the line, I felt like throwing up...I looked at the floor and my surroundings, but then it settled...

After the 3OA girl came through, I told her, "Thank you for pushing me!"...then gave her a high five. She was too winded to talk back.

After the race, I talked to Nike d00d. His name was Greg and we talked about how the race went. I joked with him, saying "Thanks ALOT for passing me at the end, slacker!" :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! This was a really fun race. The course was tough, but it was really fun.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around, stretched, and waited for my wife to come through. Go Harmony! Love you, babe! Nice run! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Eh, lack of training for the month of Oct. I also think that the zombie horde of participants cost me a few seconds...

Event comments:

I loved this race. Although there were ALOT of ppl, it had a small town feel to it. The band, the 1 mile fun runs, and the jumpy things for kids made it appear to be family friendly.

I can't wait to race here again next year!

Last updated: 2009-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:07 | 03.1 miles | 05m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 10/620
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 176 Max HR: 187 My HR was higher in my last 10K and previous 5Ks. Max HR was the same in the previous races, to include the 10K.
Course: Course was tough. Two loops. The start was uphill, then you had to turn right after the first 1/4 mile. The course then turned downhill for a little while, then uphill. The last 1/2 mile was a steady uphill. Killer. At the top of the hill, you started again to do the second loop. Garmin put this course long at 3.15. I also had others tell me it was long at around the same distance.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-25 12:37 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: City of Douglasville Moonlight Run

2009-10-25 5:28 AM
in reply to: #2478049

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: City of Douglasville Moonlight Run
3 cheers for the dood!
2009-10-26 9:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome race~! You are definitely ready for a sub 18 !!
2009-10-27 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Wow, great race trying to catch those Kenyans. Was there prize money to be had at this race? Nice job hitting puke level at the end to hold off a chic hit. ;-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Douglasville Moonlight Run Rss Feed