USMC
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 32m 3s
Overall Rank = 1431/21211
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 204/1851
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5am and made my coffee. Had oatmeal, PB whole wheat bread and a banana. Paced around the hotel room until I had to "go". Tried to relax and read the football recaps from saturday.
Event warmup:

About 6:30am left the hotel and walked to the runners village. Used the porta potties, stretched a bit, then headed to the start line at 7:30 and got in my corral. Had the cool fly over from the helicopter/plane thing which was very cool. Stripped the toss away clothes with about 10 minutes to go and tried to stay warm. One last pee on the pentagon grass. BOOM goes the howitzer!
Run
  • 3h 32m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Hills in the beginning were bigger than I anticipated but nothing to fret over as they are no hillier than I train on. The downhill around mile 3 was long and congested as the hand cyclist were flying down the hill squishing the runners to the middle of the road. The last hill into georgetown wasn't too bad but it did break up the crowd a bit. Georgetown crowd was awesome and VERY LOUD! As we got back toward national mall, the crowds grew much bigger. Coming around the steps of Lincoln memorial was awesome. Felt like we running in the olympics. The run down to Hains point was very pretty but no crowd support. Crossing the 1/2 way point on the way back from Hains point was into a stiff headwind. Saw the wife and daughter around mile 15 and was a big spirit booster after the lonely hains point miles. Finially got back to national mall and the sights were awesome. Again saw wife and daughter around mile 18 and gave my daughter a big high five. Everything up to mile 19 was perfectly on plan. Miles were a consistant 7:45-7:55/m. As we crossed over the bridge into crystal city (around mile 21), the legs were starting to hurt and pace was slowing a little bit. Saw the grim reaper at mile 22 with a sign "The End is Near" and couldn't stop laughing (but it didn't releave the pain). Mile 23. Ugh. Legs were hurting for certain at this point. Pace slowed to 8:37 when I hit mile 24. Mile 24 was on a freeway with NO crowd support at all. Saw more people walking at this point than I saw in the past 24 miles. I had to talk myself into not walking but I did it. Pace was 8:38. Finally hit the main road back to the finish and my spirits perked up (but the legs didn't move any faster). Saw the HILL up to the finish and peeked at my watch and saw I just hit 3:30 with about .2 to go so I knew my 3:30 was just out of reach. Shuffled up the hill to the finish and raised my arms in triumph as I crossed the finish in 3:32:03.
What would you do differently?:

For the most part, I ran a perfect race for a first time marathoner. I kept my speed in check for the first few miles and kept a very consistant pace for 20 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Getting the finisher medal from the Marines was very cool. Big smiles by everyone at that point. Limped up to the finisher pictures and got my picture taken in front of the memorial. Then limped to the charity village to get a quick massage at the Injured Marine Fund charity tent. Meet up with the family and took a slow walk to the finish festival. Finally sat down on the sidewalk and opened a bottle of bubbly and got lots of "damn that is a great idea"! Told stories of the race to my wife as we sipped the bubbly out of the bottle. All told...awesome day and could not have been any prouder.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I trained to run a 3:30 marathon and that is basically how I finished. I was not going to get hurt by overtraining for my first marathon even though I know I could probably run it faster. Made all the right decisions during my training and racing. For my next marathon I plan to use a more advanced training plan and hopefully cut that time down around ten minutes.

Event comments:

For a monster sized field, the entire weekend was impecably run. From the expo to the runners village to the water stations to the finish, the marines did an awesome job to running the show for 25,000 people. The course was beautiful and the crowd support was great. What a great place to do a first marathon!

Last updated: 2009-06-30 12:00 AM
Running
03:32:03 | 26.2 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 204/1851
Overall: 1431/21211
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-28 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: Marine Corps Marathon

2009-10-28 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2483399

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Well done and congrats on your first!!
2009-10-28 3:15 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Excellent race!! Congrats on a well executed first marathon. You probably went by me some time around the grim reaper as I slowed considerably as well.

Recover well!!
2009-10-28 6:17 PM

Awesome race.  That is a super time, first time or not.  Good job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Marathon Rss Feed