DRC Sports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 23s
Overall Rank = 7/37
Age Group = masters
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

I talked a friend of mine, a PC athlete, into doing the duathlon of this race. It was set up as a du and a tri, but because of my shoulder not feeling great, I opted for the du. Good thing...the du was $10 cheaper, and on race morning we found out that the swim was cancelled becuase a huge flock of birds migrated there in the past few days and dropped so many bombs into the lake that the pacteria levels were too high to safely swim!!! (Can't say I've ever heard THAT one before!. Needless to say, those who signed up for the tri did the same race I did, but paid $10 more for the privilege!!!

Bob, Richard and I stayed at a hotel nearby the night before. MUCH easier being only 6 miles from the venue! Got up, was able to have a full breakfast since the race didn't start until 10:00. Got to the race before 9:00AM and had lots of time to get everything set up. This is a very small race, <200 participants. Makes it easier, since my body still isn't what it used to be (but who's is?!?) It made for a nice, casual, friendly atmosphere.

Event warmup:

Light jogging between the van and the transition area, walking, light stretching/warming up. Visited with James, the friend I talked into racing with me. Met his parents too.

The park started out foggy when we got there at 9:00, but by the time the race started at 10:00, it was sunny and feeling a bit hot. Who starts a race in Georgia at 10:00???!! That's nuts, but there were 200 other nuts there with me, so we were all in it together.
Run
  • 08m 52s
  • 1.1 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably started out too fast. My mind remembers when I was faster (and thinner!!) but my body just can't do that right now. (I'm going to be paying for this tomorrow!)
What would you do differently?:

Train better, take off a few pounds, not hurt, etc. Oh yeah. Race within what I can do NOW, not what I'd LIKE to do!
Transition 1
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

Always happy with my transitions. Racks were unassigned, so I was able to put my bike in the cherriest of locations in transtion. Start of the bike was kind of gravelly and pot-hole-y (is that a word?) so I had to delay getting the shoes on.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 42m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I was able to pass at least 10 women either on the bike or in transition prior to the bike, and only two passed me, so I'm happy.

Concentrate more. I found my mind wandering a lot.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Had a little trouble racking the bike. I guess I was in a wierd position, but somehow I got my thumb caught in the saddle rail (don't ask how...I have NO idea!)

NOT get my thumb caught!
Run
  • 27m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

It was getting REAL hot for me by now. My body isn't used to sustaining full tilt for anywhere near this long anymore. The 2-mile water stop I had to walk through, and I'm glad I did. It gave me the opportunity to dump some water over my head, down my swimsuit, and drink some as well. I only walked for about 20 seconds, but it was good investment in my time.

I was also pretty excited to see that the two women who placed 2nd & 3rd masters both beat me in the first run, and I beat them in the 2nd, longer run! WOOHOO!

Be in better shape!
Post race
Warm down:

Drinking lots of water, Recoverite, etc. Did some jogging in the reverse direction of the course to meet up with James when he came by to finish. I was VERY proud of how he did. He had gotten a flat on the front tire of his push-rim (the wheelchair he uses for the run) in warmup and had to do both runs with the flat tire! At least his hand-crank bike had three functioning tires for the bike leg!

Bob and Richard were waiting for me at the finish. It was great. I was VERY surprised when Bob said I was the 7th or 8th woman to finish. Not only did I get a plaque, but a gourd as well!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shoulder, 15 extra pounds, not training to my potential, etc. etc.

Event comments:

No race in a warm climate area should start at 10:00 AM. That's just way too late. The announcer was very difficult to understand. He had an accent, but the way he constructed his sentences made it impossible to understand what he was trying to say. Finally someone else took over (thank GOODNESS!)

I'm happy I did this race though. For where I'm at, I NEEDED a nice casual friendly race to help me keep my head in the world of racing until I can get myself together enough to kick it up a notch again.

Last updated: 2009-10-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:08:52 | 01.1 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 0/37
Performance: Good
Course: Around the infamous bird-pooped lake. Some of it was thru trees, and the shade made it nicer. The parking-lot areas were a bit hot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:25
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:42:12 | 13.1 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
Wind: Some
Course: Out of the park, basically going around a HUGE block out in the country. Only 4 turns. Kind of monotonous, just straight line for the most part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:25 | 03.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Course: Two loops of a short out-and-back down the park road, and then around the lake.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-11-01 4:26 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Fun Fall Savannah Duathlon

2009-11-01 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2492133

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Fun Fall Savannah Duathlon

WOOHOO Way to knock it out of the park Sharon Hope the shoulder gets better soon  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fun Fall Savannah Duathlon Rss Feed