United States
Cycling Association of Kodiak Island
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 12/21
Age Group = 32-55
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

We started to drive out to Chiniak about 7:00 am...got there at 8:20 or so...the race was suppose to start at 9 but, true to Alaska time, it really got rolling around 9:30-9:40 or so....
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 3h 36m
  • 43 miles
  • 11.94 mile/hr
What would you do differently?:

I started out too fast...I tried to slow it down during the second leg and was able to conserve my strength and push through. I also needed to GU more often...I thought I should do it every 45 mins or so but let that stretch out too much and ended up paying later (during the run)...
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

I got to the transition area just as the prayers started for the fishermen that were lost this year...(Fisherman Memorial, Crab Festival, Kodiak, Alaska) I handed off my bike to Todd and slipped into dry shoes and turned and ran out of the transition area.

I probably wouldn't scream "WTF are you doing?" at the top of my lungs to the driver of the car that almost hit me right as the priest asked everyone to bow their heads... :)
Run
  • 1h 49m
  • 9.4 miles
  • 11m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

That was brutal!! I had 3 GUs going up the mountain...one right out of T1 then 2 at the top of the mountain because my thighs were cramping up...I pushed through across the top, I took it easy down the backside...LOTSA wet shale!!
Very foggy...visability was about 15 feet...I love it when it is like that.
Todd and Fritz met me on the backside and Todd ran out the last 3 miles with me (it took about 24 mins to do the end of the run)...Todd was my hero and ran in front of me to break the headwind...

GU, GU, GU!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Todd, Fritz and Joe met me at the finish...Todd, Fritz and I piled into the car and went to the brewery and got two poney kegs with Ben's newest brew (Coffee Stout and Sweet Georgia Brown)!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to practice my pacing...and fueling...I am pleased with how I performed during the whole thing...I just need to work out the details...

Event comments:

Nicely done...I wish there had been a aid station at the top of the mountain for the run but was actually pleased with everything else...although if they upped the entry fee and made GU available at the aid stations that would have been awesome...

Last updated: 2005-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/21
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
03:36:00 | 43 miles | 11.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 12/21
Performance: Good
Start to Olds River 00:58:17 Olds River to American River 00:58:36 American River to Harbormaster's House 1:40:12
Wind: Headwind
Course: Chiniak to Kodiak. It starts at sea level and drops to sea level 2 times...the first 2/3 of the race is a hilly course!! There were 2 aid stations...about 12 miles from the start and 12 miles from the second...the roads were dirt until the second aid station then it was blacktop.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:49:00 | 9.4 miles | 11m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 1/21
Performance: Good
Course: Pillar Mountain Run. It's a 1400+ feet elevation from sea level (it starts at the harbormaster's house)...straight up the mountain...across the top...down the back side (lotsa shale) then 3.4+ miles back into town to the harbor master's house...except for the 1st mile it's all unpaved and most of it is paths...
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-31 3:32 PM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
Subject: Chiniak to Kodiak Bike/Run for MS

2005-05-31 4:06 PM
in reply to: #166153

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Chiniak to Kodiak Bike/Run for MS

Well done!  Looks like you did a good job of adjusting accordinly and learned some things about how to adjust your fuel intake. 

2005-05-31 6:48 PM

Elite Veteran
Sounds like a really fun (but long) event. 43 miles? Ouch. Great job. Think Gus might have helped?

Edited by lynda 2005-05-31 6:49 PM
2005-06-01 12:04 PM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
Here is one picture--after the bike and run...Todd and Kobuk ran out the last 3 miles with me...(still a little dirty from the bike ride!)

(toddandI.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
toddandI.jpg (81KB - 55 downloads)
2005-06-01 5:42 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Yeah Jen,

That was a long event. Great job on doing it and running the run. Pretty funny lesson learned on the yelling at the driver thing.

Jen
2005-06-01 6:18 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Nothin' like dropping the F-bomb when everyone else is praying! LOL! I probably woulda done it too!

Way to tough it out on a really long event! Up a mountain, no less! Damn, I'm impressed!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chiniak to Kodiak Bike/Run for MS Rss Feed