General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training vs. race pace Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-01 12:36 PM

Seattle, WA
Subject: Training vs. race pace
Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker who is coming up on my first tri (sprint distance) this weekend. I've followed a training program very similar to the 13 wk sprint plan listed on this site. I hadn't found this site when I began training

http://www.trinewbies.com/10wtp.pdfis what I trained to, in case you're curious.

For the last half of my training I've been using a heart rate monitor, keeping myself in the upper end of my aerobic zone (mostly, I suffer from getting over-eager sometimes). Overall I'm feeling prepared and excited for the race.

Given my pace I'm guessing I'll be a MOP'er and my goal for the race is strictly personal. That said I'm also somewhat competitive and would love to make a good showing. So my specific question is, with the use of a heart rate monitor, how much (if any) are you willing to bump your effort level for race day over what you've trained at. I've seen from training that I'm comfortable at 150bpm (could go all day long), feel like I'm pushing (racing) at about 160bpm, and feel like I'm sprinting (couldn't sustain for more than a few minutes) at 170 bpm. This is for the bike and run, haven't used the monitor in the water.

Do you guys race at the same aerobic level that you trained at?

Thanks!
Jeff

2005-06-01 12:51 PM
in reply to: #166755

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
Subject: RE: Training vs. race pace
Hi Jeff, You should be able to race significantly above your bsic edurance pace, but some (a little bit) of your training needs to be at and above race pace. For your first race, go faster than your normal training pace, but when in doubt start out a little easier and speed up later in the race - where it is safer to push nd you know you'll finish. Most of all, have fun suffering,
Ken
2005-06-01 12:53 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
For a sprint distance you should go at your "pushing" level.  You don't want to "blow-up", but you don't need to stay in your "go all day" zone.  Beware of using HR in your first races though.  Mine remains elevated from the excitement even before I start, so it is hard to correlate with my training zones.  I try to go by feel and use the HR as a post-race informational tool.
2005-06-01 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Jeff,

Here's some info based on my experience that hopefully you'll find useful. I have been training since August last year and just finished my first race this past weekend. I too was worried about the whole training pace vs. race pace and what HR I should expect to see on race day.

Based on advice that I recieved here, I decided to race with my HRM but since I didn't know how my HR would respond to the stimulus of racing, I switched my watch to only read lap and split times - I didn't look at HR until after the race. From my comparision after the race here's what I found with training HR vs racing HR.
Swim - Training - Avg HR 130-140/Race - Avg HR 168
Bike - Training - Avg HR 130-135/Race - Avg HR 171
Run - Training - Avg HR 140-145/Race - Avg HR 171

As for training pace vs race pace this is what I can offer from my training:

Swim - Training - 1:58/100m - Race - 1:42/100m
Bike - Training - 22.1km/h - Race - 30.02km/h
Run - Training - 6:20/km - Race - 4:43/km

I did my entire race by feel - I wasn't looking for pace or HR - instead I tried to find an effort that was pushing myself but not so hard that I was going to burn out early.

Hope this helps,

Shane
2005-06-01 1:05 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
As has been said, it depends on the distance. It also depends on your taper. Since you are doing a sprint, I am not sure that you have a taper. As a taper will allow your body to rest and you will have more glycogen in your muscle cells, getting your heart rate up may take a little normal than on consequtive training days.

In a sprint, consider going at your pushing it rate (160 bpm) and when you get to the run, try to amp it up a little. There is nothing more frustrating of getting to the run and having nothing left in the tank. So save a little and if you feel like it, push it hard on the run.

Mike
2005-06-01 1:38 PM

Seattle, WA
Thanks for all the replies. This all seems like common sense and is in line with what I was planning. The events are in the reverse order of my strengths so saving a bit for the end makes sense. My plan is to take it easy on the swim, keep my heart rate under 155 for the first half of the bike and under 165 for the second half, and then the same for the run. Oh, and an all out sprint when I enter the park with the finish line and the adoring fan (my wife)

Cheers,
Jeff

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training vs. race pace Rss Feed