FSSeries
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 19m 7s
Overall Rank = 4/
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6. Chocolate boost, oatmeal w/raisins, and good to go at 7am. Out the door at 8, rode the Fisher down to the race (5.25 miles). Chatted with friends for a bit, then about 8:30 decided it was time for a little warmup.
Event warmup:

0.7 miles out, 0.7 back, with a nature break and a Roctane in the middle. 3 pickups on the return leg, felt okay. Knew this wasn't going to be a fast day from the moment I woke.
Run
  • 19m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Just couldn't find the groove today. This was a small race, and the competition wasn't fierce. It is a PR for me, but completely different conditions. I kinda shut it down about 2.5 miles into it, as there as NO ONE behind me at all. I did challenge the hill at the end, as I DO LOVE ME SOME HILLS! Got some good comments from the crowd for that. That's why I run Cemetery and Turkey HARD!! Good stuff.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder mile 3
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on incoming competitors. I didn't go hard enough.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just wasn't feeling it this morning. Crazy week leading up to it, had a bad run Thursday, so am thankful for what I was able to get on this one.

Event comments:

A great cause, and a fun low-key race. Bonus: PR and "hardware"!

Last updated: 2009-11-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:07 | 03.1 miles | 06m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 4/
Performance: Good
Out hard to clear the pack, passed the 2 cross-country chicks who hogged the trail, and the first female passed me. I was very cool with that. She looked very strong.
Course: Flat for 3 miles, uphill for 0.1. Love the trail. A little squishy today, and had to navigate around leisure runners. But, love to race where I trained for Shamrock and ATT-10.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-14 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Running Free for K-Wayne

2009-11-15 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2514038

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Running Free for K-Wayne
Pretty sweet to bring home a pizza prize for not pushing hard! You probably didn't get your money's worth out of that Gu Roctane! I love that stuff but it is expensive!
2009-11-15 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2514483

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
keyone - 2009-11-15 8:09 AM Pretty sweet to bring home a pizza prize for not pushing hard! You probably didn't get your money's worth out of that Gu Roctane! I love that stuff but it is expensive!
Fortunately, it was a free sample Brooke sent me last year.  Used one of them at Pinehurst '08, kept the other one until yesterday.  I had bad GI issues after Pinehurst, so was leery of trying it again, but it didn't bother me this time. 

And don't get me wrong; I was pushing, but not 100%.  If you're not puking, you're not trying.  I think I saved too much for the run up the hill at the end, as I felt like I was just starting out going up that hill, barely huffing at the end.  Too much left in the tank.  Mile splits would've helped me hit sub 19:00, but oh well.
2009-11-15 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2514519

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
fgump - 2009-11-15 8:49 AM

keyone - 2009-11-15 8:09 AM Pretty sweet to bring home a pizza prize for not pushing hard! You probably didn't get your money's worth out of that Gu Roctane! I love that stuff but it is expensive!
Fortunately, it was a free sample Brooke sent me last year.  Used one of them at Pinehurst '08, kept the other one until yesterday.  I had bad GI issues after Pinehurst, so was leery of trying it again, but it didn't bother me this time. 

And don't get me wrong; I was pushing, but not 100%.  If you're not puking, you're not trying.  I think I saved too much for the run up the hill at the end, as I felt like I was just starting out going up that hill, barely huffing at the end.  Too much left in the tank.  Mile splits would've helped me hit sub 19:00, but oh well.

I love Gu Roctane. Gu has never given me tummy problems, thankfully. See my inspire about you needing a Garmin for your splits
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Running Free for K-Wayne Rss Feed