of 5

2009-11-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2527516

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Fatherlessness and Crime
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-11-23 3:23 PM

Jackemy - 2009-11-23 2:21 PM Geez, a thread got pulled that I wasn't a part of?

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" has to be absolutely the most damaging ideologies our society has every adopted. I've struggled to come up with one that is more damaging to the fabric and future of our Country, but I can't.

Except maybe "Git back in that kitchen and fix me a sammich, ."

I think you will enjoy this video

ETA - nothing racy, for those at work.

Edited by gearboy 2009-11-23 2:31 PM

2009-11-23 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
I wish I could find the link, but I'm not having any luck.   It was about animals in captivity both zoos and those more open safai type places.  

It describes the problems some of the places had when they only had younger males,  and how just by placing/inserting an older male the problems just went away.   The one example with the elephant herds was quite informitive.

This issue , IMHO, goes back to where many of the conversations on here end.  What is good (or moral). who decides it. and where/when is it learned.
2009-11-23 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2527315

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Oh lordy, this thread is scary. I grew up without a father in the household and I was assuming that I was going to go on with a normal life, but this thread has got me thinking otherwise.

I wonder what my life would be like if I were a criminal...

On a completely unrelated note, anyone want to come stay at my house for IMMoo? You can totally leave all of your gear with me. It'll be safe. Promise.
2009-11-23 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-11-23 2:23 PM

"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" has to be absolutely the most damaging ideologies our society has every adopted. I've struggled to come up with one that is more damaging to the fabric and future of our Country, but I can't.

http://www.bspcn.com/2009/07/14/if-a-guy-says-go-make-me-a-sandwich-whats-a-good-comeback/
2009-11-23 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2527548

User image

Pro
Gaarryy - 2009-11-23 3:36 PM I wish I could find the link, but I'm not having any luck.   It was about animals in captivity both zoos and those more open safai type places.  

It describes the problems some of the places had when they only had younger males,  and how just by placing/inserting an older male the problems just went away.   The one example with the elephant herds was quite informitive.

This issue , IMHO, goes back to where many of the conversations on here end.  What is good (or moral). who decides it. and where/when is it learned.

I had heard about the issue with essentially abandoned adolescent male elephants.  Poaching had reduced the numbers of adults, leaving a situation much like our inner cities.  Here is a short article (the stories may be apocryphal) about it.

ETA - here is a link to a NYT briefing about it.

Edited by gearboy 2009-11-23 2:43 PM
2009-11-23 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2527557

User image

Pro
tetchypoo - 2009-11-23 3:38 PM Oh lordy, this thread is scary. I grew up without a father in the household and I was assuming that I was going to go on with a normal life, but this thread has got me thinking otherwise.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone want to come stay at my house for IMMoo? You can totally leave all of your gear with me. It'll be safe. Promise.

What do you mean "IF"???

2009-11-23 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2527577

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
gearboy - 2009-11-23 2:44 PM
tetchypoo - 2009-11-23 3:38 PM Oh lordy, this thread is scary. I grew up without a father in the household and I was assuming that I was going to go on with a normal life, but this thread has got me thinking otherwise.

What do you mean "IF"???

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN.

::shiftyeyes::
2009-11-23 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2527565

User image

Champion
the colony texas
gearboy - 2009-11-23 2:40 PM
Gaarryy - 2009-11-23 3:36 PM I wish I could find the link, but I'm not having any luck.   It was about animals in captivity both zoos and those more open safai type places.  

I had heard about the issue with essentially abandoned adolescent male elephants.  Poaching had reduced the numbers of adults, leaving a situation much like our inner cities.  Here is a short article (the stories may be apocryphal) about it.

ETA - here is a link to a NYT briefing about it.

I bow to your web searching skills... Cool

2009-11-23 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I am still thinking about that link to that family values political website.

One one hand, this group wants to to make family values a matter of public policy, but aren't these the same people that thinks the government cannot get more tangible things like commerce, economics, and public health correct?

It seems that the libertarian ideals and/or the states-rights-view that a lot of original conservatives believed in has become a matter of cherry-picking based on whether the government agrees with "my" position.

For the record, I am a moderate with a libertarian streak, I think both sides are full of crap.

2009-11-23 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2527660

User image

Pro
eabeam - 2009-11-23 4:12 PM I am still thinking about that link to that family values political website.

One one hand, this group wants to to make family values a matter of public policy, but aren't these the same people that thinks the government cannot get more tangible things like commerce, economics, and public health correct?

It seems that the libertarian ideals and/or the states-rights-view that a lot of original conservatives believed in has become a matter of cherry-picking based on whether the government agrees with "my" position.

For the record, I am a moderate with a libertarian streak, I think both sides are full of crap.

I read somewhere once that those on the right want to the government to regulate "private" behavior (like outlawing abortion or gay marriage), while the left want the government to regulate "public" behavior (like healthcare).  So I guess it's really a matter of which heaping pile of poo you prefer to see government hanging out in.
2009-11-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2527673

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

gearboy - 2009-11-23 3:16 PM
eabeam - 2009-11-23 4:12 PM I am still thinking about that link to that family values political website.

I read somewhere once that those on the right want to the government to regulate "private" behavior (like outlawing abortion or gay marriage), while the left want the government to regulate "public" behavior (like healthcare).  So I guess it's really a matter of which heaping pile of poo you prefer to see government hanging out in.

I am SSSOOOOO stealing this
Oops I'm a criminal

2009-11-23 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
Ok. I just want to chime in. I browsed through the comments...sorry.

I think the answer to this is both simple yet complex. I am a social worker and I see this over and over and over again!

A child needs to feel like they belong and loved. Simple right. Obviously we all have our opinions on why some families cannot achieve this and it stems from various and various reasons. But as long as a child has one stable loving caregiver the likelihood of that person achieving "success" is no different than a two parent home. Now mind you two parent homes can be more chaotic depending on the relationship between the parents and its direct affect on the child/ren.

Children need guidance and correct parenting, yes outside influences will always. Now for my personal opinion............well, we as humans no longer respect true family values.........its sad...........we are turning into a society that is becoming so greedy that materialistic things seem to be more important than those you share meals with.

I don't have the answer but its sad and I didn't read the original thread but to dontracy....thank goodness you were not seriously hurt!!
2009-11-23 3:33 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

dontracy - 2009-11-23 12:45 PM

I see that a major popcorn thread has been pulled.  I wrote this before it was pulled. If you'll indulge me, I'll just send my post to the thread out again.  Maybe we can talk about the same issue from a different angle.

I was held up at gun point here in Philly roughly three years ago today.  Two kids, two 9mm pistols.

It was in a nice neighborhood.

Time slowed down during the event, much as it does in a car or a bike accident.  In the midst of that slowed down experience of time, my calculations was that these two young men were fatherless.  With that information I then dealt with them as a father would, reassuringly but with boundaries so that they would not act out of more fear than they already had.  I think it saved my life.

So my take on crime is that much of it has to do with fatherlessness.  The reasons for fatherlessness in our culture is multifaceted. I have some opinions on it.  Politics is just one factor, and I believe a minor one at that.  I think politics flows from the core issues causing fatherlessness.  A symptom rather than the disease.

What do you think?

I grew up with no Father/Dad around since I was in first grade.  There wasn't a divorce between the parents but some weird distance living arrangement with the ol' man being the lone money earner living in Chicago with his job and Mom and the rest of the kids living up Nort' in Wisconsin, to escape the problems that were arising and because of his family living in that area.

Despite not having him around, and not living in Chicago or some 'burb, I survived with no issues or got into problems that involved gangs, murder, drugs, etc.  And to think, I was a trailer-trash kid, too, for a number of years.  Small towns sometimes do have it better in some respect.

2009-11-23 3:52 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I find the amount of racism in this thread disturbing, but I'll let that go for now.

First, don, I am so sorry that happened to you. That's terrifying, and I'm impressed you were able to deal with them and come out safely. ((()))

Like our resident social worker said, children need to be loved and protected and taught. In my opinion, this love can come from one mother, one father, several parents - the case of steparents, two mothers, two fathers, an aunt, a grandmother, a grandfather, etc. The problem is that many mothers in poor urban areas are single mothers who work multiple jobs to pay rent and put food on the table. They simply do not have the hours in the day to be a PTA mom and attend sports games. In addition, many of them are CHILDREN (14, 16 years old) THEMSELVES! They aren't able to parent because they aren't mature enough to do so.

I think there is a big difference between a single mother living in poverty and a single mother NOT living in poverty (well, duh, groundbreaking stuff I know). My neighbor - single - adopted a little boy and provides him with a wonderful life.

I live in Baltimore City and it breaks my heart to see 14 and 15 year old girls, heavily pregnant, pushing a stoller down the street. Why are these girls getting pregnant? What can we do to stop it? <----- these are the biggies, IMO.

I had sex as a teenager, and I used every type of precaution available (pill, condoms, etc). I knew that if I got pregnant it would interfere with my life --- with college, studying abroad, graduate school, etc. I had things to look forward to and if I got pregnant at 16 I would have very dissapointed parents. A lot of the teens in the city don't have a bright future. They've had subpar schooling, uninvovled parents, and a future that doesn't invovle college/ careers. They do what they've seen: unprotected sex, pregnant, repeat. It's what their moms did as teenagers and likely it's what their children will do as well. It's a cycle and it's a very sad one.

Edited by trishie 2009-11-23 3:54 PM
2009-11-23 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2527788

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

trishie - 2009-11-23 3:52 PM I find the amount of racism in this thread disturbing, but I'll let that go for now.

First, don, I am so sorry that happened to you. That's terrifying, and I'm impressed you were able to deal with them and come out safely. ((()))

Like our resident social worker said, children need to be loved and protected and taught. In my opinion, this love can come from one mother, one father, several parents - the case of steparents, two mothers, two fathers, an aunt, a grandmother, a grandfather, etc. The problem is that many mothers in poor urban areas are single mothers who work multiple jobs to pay rent and put food on the table. They simply do not have the hours in the day to be a PTA mom and attend sports games. In addition, many of them are CHILDREN (14, 16 years old) THEMSELVES! They aren't able to parent because they aren't mature enough to do so.

I think there is a big difference between a single mother living in poverty and a single mother NOT living in poverty (well, duh, groundbreaking stuff I know). My neighbor - single - adopted a little boy and provides him with a wonderful life.

I live in Baltimore City and it breaks my heart to see 14 and 15 year old girls, heavily pregnant, pushing a stoller down the street. Why are these girls getting pregnant? What can we do to stop it? <----- these are the biggies, IMO.

I had sex as a teenager, and I used every type of precaution available (pill, condoms, etc). I knew that if I got pregnant it would interfere with my life --- with college, studying abroad, graduate school, etc. I had things to look forward to and if I got pregnant at 16 I would have very dissapointed parents. A lot of the teens in the city don't have a bright future. They've had subpar schooling, uninvovled parents, and college normally is not an option. They do what they've seen: unprotected sex, pregnant, repeat. It's what their moms did as teenagers and likely it's what their children will do as well. It's a cycle and it's a very sad one.

Maybe some self-realization and self-consciousness and not succumbing to peer pressure, too?

2009-11-23 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2527795

User image

Pro
Burbs
1stTimeTri - 2009-11-23 4:54 PM

trishie - 2009-11-23 3:52 PM I find the amount of racism in this thread disturbing, but I'll let that go for now.

I had sex as a teenager, and I used every type of precaution available (pill, condoms, etc). I knew that if I got pregnant it would interfere with my life --- with college, studying abroad, graduate school, etc. I had things to look forward to and if I got pregnant at 16 I would have very dissapointed parents. A lot of the teens in the city don't have a bright future. They've had subpar schooling, uninvovled parents, and college normally is not an option. They do what they've seen: unprotected sex, pregnant, repeat. It's what their moms did as teenagers and likely it's what their children will do as well. It's a cycle and it's a very sad one.

Maybe some self-realization and self-consciousness and not succumbing to peer pressure, too?

Okay... HOW? Who is going to give these girls the tools to not succumb to peer pressure?

It's easy to us to say "well, don't have sex, get good grades, go to college." but to some people - esp. in poor urban areas - these ideas are foreign. I did well in school because I grew up with parents who cared, who called teachers and checked homework. I went to college because it was expected of me.

To say that these kids should just "self-realize" is oversimplifying a very complex problem.

Edited by trishie 2009-11-23 3:59 PM

2009-11-23 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I can agree with the above posts, to a point.

The bottom line is that children who are the product of two -parent nuclear families do have better outcomes than single parent families. (This is where I disagree with Aidana.)

Both groups have FAR better outcomes than children with only dysfunctional parent or in the foster system.
(This is where I agree with Aidana.)

(I have run into 2 true socio-paths working in Day Treatment (This is a LOT! A have a co-worker near retirement that has only seen one.), both were in the foster kids since infancy. One never lasted more than 6 weeks in a placement - with the exception of 6 month stints in jail.

However, it goes back to my original point (and on of my stand-by points).

#1 - This is overall data. Probability is just that, probability. There is a lot of real estate between "average" or "probable" and "possible".

#2 - What are the factors leading to the father not being around, and how big of a variable is that?  What percentage of the correlation is symptom versus cause? Afterall, the dynamic of a parent living away from home to pay bills than, in the words of one of my 16-year-old-girls, "why did he not love me as much as the street thug lifestyle that got him sent to jail?"  In many meth cases, the kid is playing a more parental role in taking care of the junkie "parent."

2009-11-23 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2009-11-23 2:23 PM

Responsible male role models do not say"Git back in that kitchen and fix me a sammich". Responsible female role model don't put up with Dads that say "Git back in that kitchen and fix me a sammich"

But of course most kids who are below the poverty level, since the fatherless homes are an epidemic in poor and minority communities, never learn that so when women who grow up without dads are told by boys who grow up without dads "Git back in that kitchen and fix me a sammich" they are very likely think is normal and an appropriate way to be treated.

Edited by Jackemy 2009-11-23 4:24 PM
2009-11-23 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2527825

User image

Champion
Racine, WI

eabeam - 2009-11-23 4:09 PM I can agree with the above posts, to a point.

The bottom line is that children who are the product of two -parent nuclear families do have better outcomes than single parent families. (This is where I disagree with Aidana.)

Both groups have FAR better outcomes than children with only dysfunctional parent or in the foster system.
(This is where I agree with Aidana.)

(I have run into 2 true socio-paths working in Day Treatment (This is a LOT! A have a co-worker near retirement that has only seen one.), both were in the foster kids since infancy. One never lasted more than 6 weeks in a placement - with the exception of 6 month stints in jail.

However, it goes back to my original point (and on of my stand-by points).

#1 - This is overall data. Probability is just that, probability. There is a lot of real estate between "average" or "probable" and "possible".

#2 - What are the factors leading to the father not being around, and how big of a variable is that?  What percentage of the correlation is symptom versus cause? Afterall, the dynamic of a parent living away from home to pay bills than, in the words of one of my 16-year-old-girls, "why did he not love me as much as the street thug lifestyle that got him sent to jail?"  In many meth cases, the kid is playing a more parental role in taking care of the junkie "parent."

I work with trial cases that terminate parental rights and I see alot of this.......usually the "extreme" cases are those children suffering from RAD (reactive attachment disorder) Those children who were never able to bond with a parent in the younger years. Studies show that children who have never bonded or attached are less likely to understand the attachment between human beings in general let alone the rules of society on what is right or wrong.

Now the reason why father or mothers do not take care of their children and only pop out kids is very very complex......it's never going to be a simple answer because as humans we are complex and our exterior influences are diverse. In my field we are seeing an increase of mothers not being around and the numbers are now becoming more equal to fathers that are no longer around. People are simply having children for the wrong reasons....

regardless...its very sad!

2009-11-23 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2527673

User image

Master
Portland, ME
gearboy - 2009-11-23 3:16 PM

That is a really weird phrasing. I would need more clarification on what you mean by that or maybe your examples for "private" just don't fit the definition of private.
2009-11-23 4:23 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
It is hard to avoid the racial issues because of the bottom line facts.

The African-American community has to address the fact that their boys ARE growing up without fathers or positive male role models at a higher rate than the rest of the U.S.

This is also true of the Latino community here in CA.

Neither racism NOR political correctness have any place in a frank, honest discussion related to those facts.

I take that matter personally with the black political activists who have self-appointed themselves as media-whores cashing in on others misery spokespeople.

The same "activists" that made a racial incident out of a fraudulent allegation from the "Palmdale 6" and called our local, well-respected mayor an "Uncle Tom" for choosing factual reporting over sensationalism.
(Note: one of the students was not arrested for "talking back" to a staff person, it was a felony probation violation on an order not to get suspended - minor  huge difference.)

These are the same people that try to marginalize William Cosby, Ed.D. whenever he makes a public statement for his community to choose positive action and responsibility versus blaming others.

2009-11-23 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
The concept of the poor having more children than they are capable of raising is as old as civilization.

Don't forget the Modest Proposal of 1729.... but I think that the folks on this thread can change it.
2009-11-23 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2527844

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
aidana - 2009-11-23 2:19 PM

I work with trial cases that terminate parental rights and I see alot of this.......usually the "extreme" cases are those children suffering from RAD (reactive attachment disorder) Those children who were never able to bond with a parent in the younger years. Studies show that children who have never bonded or attached are less likely to understand the attachment between human beings in general let alone the rules of society on what is right or wrong.

Such an extreme rarity, it probably had no place to be mentioned.
The issue was on outcome measures.

Either way, I REALLY need to get back on task and get to my real job.
2009-11-23 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2527528

User image

Master
Portland, ME
gearboy - 2009-11-23 2:29 PM
Jackemy - 2009-11-23 3:21 PM Geez, a thread got pulled that I wasn't a part of?

Depends on how you read that.  I don't want my daughters to believe they need to have a man in their lives to support them, or make decisions for them.  If they so choose, I want them to be as capable of being self sufficient as any other person.

BUT....

"A child needs a father like a fish needs a rock".  OK, not a very good expression, and clearly needing work.  But fish need rocks to provide protection from danger, to rest, and to be generally safe. It might survive in the water without rocks, but not thrive.  And a kid needs two parents.  Dads are not really optional.  In fact, there are studies showing that girls raised in a home without a male enter puberty earlier (I think it was like 6-12 months).  And of course, seeing how parents negotiate differences is an important overall life lesson.  Not to mention having a role model of both genders.

Agreed, the first step is to detach that women need men (and visa versa) to raise children. But, we have seen what happens when children are raised in fatherless homes. We know that, yes, children can come out as completely ok adults in single parent household. But, I bet is you asked any single mom if it would be easier to have a responsible dad there, they would all say yes. 

2009-11-23 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2527857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
eabeam - 2009-11-23 6:23 PM
The African-American community has to address the fact that their boys ARE growing up without fathers or positive male role models at a higher rate than the rest of the U.S.

This is also true of the Latino community here in CA.

It would seem to me that your statement should read  'the country has to address the fact that some boys ARE growing up without fathers or positive male role models at a higher rate than the rest of the U.S.' The country needs to determine how to get these kids the opportunities they need to get out of the cycle of poverty, its not just the job of those adults from a particular racial community, IMO.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Fatherlessness and Crime Rss Feed  

of 5