Pacific Trails Running Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 07m 5s
Overall Rank = 11/79
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 5 something am, got dressed drove down.
Event warmup:

Jogged a half mile, minor stretching.
Run
  • 3h 07m 5s
  • 30 kms
  • 06m 14s  min/km
Comments:

This run was more challenging that anticpiated with steep hills there were 5 one mile sections with 500 foot ish elevation gains. Many more with less elevation gain. This was really challenging for my current fitness level with sustained 3 mile inclines. Some of the spots were pretty technical with 1.5 to 2 foot rocks to climb up/down with sand/dirt on them. Trail marking was extremely poor with many runners missing at least one turn, I being one of them (ran an extra 1 mile in the first 4 miles of the course 8(. ) Also the course had minimal vollunteers (total of 8) with only 2 aid stations in 18.6 miles. After my missed turn I ended up behind some folks who were slower than me and then I had to try to pass them on the single track. During one of these passes around mile 4 I caught my left foot on sagebrush and went down. I was able to go on and finish, but the combination of running an extra mile off course, being behind everyone I had already passed and then having to pass them again and then wiping out made it mentally tough to continue. I did, because that is what you do. I ended up walking up some of the hills on the 2nd half of the course, er ok it was run walk up most of them, but was able to dig deep and run the last 4 miles continuously, much of it was downhill 8). It basically took a whole lot physically and mentally to keep going at a pace that was well below what I was hoping for, but was what I had for the race, day and cercumstances. I could have said just screw it, but just kept plugging on.
What would you do differently?:

Familiarity with the course is key as the trail is poorly marked and I missed a turn or two.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down, drank 36 oz of fluids, had some chicken soup, walked a bit, stretched a bit, drove home took a cool bath and a warm shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Missing the poorly marked turn offs of the trail. Falling on the course, lack of sustained hill climbing. To do this well I would need to significantly increase the number of 1000 foot climbs I do in my workouts.

Event comments:

The course was beautiful, a bit more challenging than I was prepared for and I had to walk some of it, more than I would have liked on he inclines. The course was extremely poorly marked with many runners missing at least one turn (I added 1 mile at a wrong turn). They should probably double the number of aid stations. The course was narrow single track making passing very hard... resulting in a fall on my part. No first aid of any kind at the end of the race, no bandaids or anything, etc. It is probably worth it just for the scenery, but a frustrating day and minmal support. If you do this race, bring everything you will need on your person and expect it to get hotter than you think it will be.

Last updated: 2009-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
03:07:05 | 30 kms | 06m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 11/79
Performance: Average
Ave HR 167.
Course: Pretty challenging single track trail with 5000 feet of elevation gain with a beautiful overlook of the ocean. Fairly technical in spots, pretty narrow path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-11-23 2:38 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Santa Monica Trail Run

2009-11-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2527553

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Santa Monica Trail Run

Tough SOB!  Nice job sucking it up and finishing.  Yes that is what you do!

2009-11-25 12:14 AM

User image

Veteran
AWESOME!
2009-12-04 5:57 PM

User image

Elite
Boise