Tempe, Arizona
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 13h 11m 48s
Overall Rank = 1484/
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 303/454
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:45 and had a bowl of raisin bran and some G2 to start the days hydration. Was pretty nervous had the feeling in my gut that at the time I hate but when I think back about it I love it. It is the way I know that I really care about something. Like watching my kids sports, I just get a nervous feeling. Anyway, let the kids sleep and my wife, dad and I drove into Tempe from Gilbert for the swim. Got my bottles, and special needs stuff together. I got to the transition area and realized I didn't have my aero drink bottle and was missing two of my Perpetuem bottles. My dad went to hunt for them but I wrote them off in my mind and figured I'd make due. I felt like I could puke but knew it would be alright once the race started. Took a pee and that helped some.
Event warmup:

Just the jump in the lake and the swim to the start.
Swim
  • 1h 21m 20s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was really fun being in the water looking at all of the spectators. It gave me chills...but so did the water I guess. I talked to a couple of others around me and shared some nervous laughs but was ready to get started. I was at the start last year on the shore and loved being IN the water for this one. The swim went well, I was never totally free of people and kept getting hit from time to time but overall it was manageable. I thought the swim went better than I thought it would. I felt fine the entire time and just kept the thought, "Just finish."
What would you do differently?:

Sighting on the way down the lake was difficult or impossible because of the sun and just being unable to see any buoys. The way back was much better and I felt like I swam much straighter.
Transition 1
  • 08m 48s
Comments:

Dried off the feet and changed shirts into a bike jersey. I didn't want to have to stuff my nutrition in my wet shirt and was concerned about being too cold for the beginning of the bike so I wanted a dry bike jersey. Shared a few, "wow that swim was something" jokes with some others.

Maybe wear my bike jersey but thought it went fine. Just have a little more gitty up in my step to get out faster. "Just Finish" still in my mind.
Bike
  • 6h 25m 38s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.43 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started off well. Just didn't want to put a big load on the thighs in the first half of the ride. Decided to keep riding at a pace that I could maintain. It was about the day not the ride. Had a head wind on the way up the hill and then came back at up to 30mph at one point. It was fun and felt great on the legs. There was some larger groups but some of that is unavoidable with that many people on the roadway. Mostly they were riding past me so didn't think much about it. The second lap I was expecting the headwind and it wasn't as strong thus the ride back in wasn't as fast and the third lap was almost a headwind coming back in so things changed within a few hours. Never felt like I was in major pain or stress and was ready to get to the run.

I might push it more knowing what I know now but at the time I was happy with the performance.
Transition 2
  • 07m 53s
Comments:

Had some scrapes on the top of my right toes which I think happened on the stairs getting out of the lake. Didn't bug me much but knew I needed to take care of them before the run. Got bandaids in transition. Can't say enough about the transition help. They were practically begging to help us and it was genuine. You could really tell they were there to make your day the best it could be. Hats off to them.

Just speed everything up, but I was really trying to take it all in. Not really a savor the moment thing but just was enjoying the day.
Run
  • 5h 08m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Had no idea what to expect. I was really thinking my quads would cramp and I would be walking much of the marathon. I started running at about a 10min/mile pace and it felt fine. I could breathe and felt like I could maintain the pace so I just kept at it. I kept taking in nutrition but anything with sugar turned my gut. I just couldn't stomach anymore gels or real sugary items. Bananas and grapes and water were about all I wanted at that point. I was feeling good knowing I was actually going to finish. At the start of the day I didn't know if I would or not so I really starting feeling good. I saw the wife, 5 kids, cousins, grandparents, brother etc etc. and that really pumped me up. You don't really know how much that helps until your at around mile 18 of the marathon in the Ironman. I teared up and was just feeling great about the day. I know I wasn't breaking any records but inside I was just feeling sooooo good about the day. Was able to talk to a few folks during the day, one fella just had his first child 10 days ago and had the picture with him. I thought that was awesome. As a matter of fact everyone I talked to was awesome as well as the aid stations. I just didn't have anything to complain about. I finished and gathered up the family and I stopped and got a waffle at the Waffle House. I took about 4 bites and couldn't eat any more but boy were those bites good.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some French Fries that tasted like heaven and then met up with the family. Went home and couldn't stop shivering so got in the bath tub, then hot tub outside and then back in the hot tub. I took me about an hour to get where I could stop shivering. Still could get the smile off of my face though, maybe never will.

Event comments:

Just had a great day!!! Goal was to Finish and I did that. I had no preconceived times and didn't know what to expect. Signed up for next year on Saturday so will do it all again next year. Then of course there will be some expectations...Oh boy!!

Last updated: 2008-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:21:20 | 3862 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 268/454
Overall: 1383/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:48
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:25:38 | 112 miles | 17.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 342/454
Overall: 1668/
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:08:11 | 26.2 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 287/454
Overall: 1456/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-11-25 5:12 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2009-11-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2531816

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Congratulations Ironman!  Best wishes in prepping for next year!!
2009-11-26 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Great job Ironman!
2009-11-26 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Great Job Ironman!

You have got to love the home course advantage.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed