Ft. Benning MWR
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 27s
Overall Rank = 35/60
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

Last night, we went to Buffalo Wild Wings and had some wings and beers. Not the best pre-race meal. I would pay for that later.

I got to sleep in for this race! No super-early depart times to drive across Georgia to race. I woke up about 5:30 am, loaded my gear, and hit the road. After a couple of pit-stops, I got to the race at about 6:40. The race starts at 8. So, I just went through the usual set up routine. Laid out my area on the end of a bike rack in the middle of the transition area. Ate a PowerBar about an hour out. Ran into my Brigade Commander, so I had some face time with my Senior Rater, which is always is a good thing. I also ran into the British Army Liason officer, so I caught up with him a bit.

After the pre-race instructions, it was off to the start line for a reverse triathlon.

NOTE: I'm putting the data in backwards. So, T1 is between the bike and the swim and T2 is after the run to the bike. It'll be hard for an outsider to get a good feel for what I did, but it'll help me to improve my racing
Event warmup:

I did some accelerations near the start line. I could tell the night before was going to make this a rough run.
Swim
  • 20m 8s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

The one good thing about a reverse tri is that you jump in the pool last. I came of a phenomenal bike leg (see below) and jumped into an outdoor pool. It was refreshing! Still hadn't caught my breath, so I took off slowly.

Another good thing was the swim being in the pool. The rules allowed stopping and propeling oneself through the water by swimming or walking. I was able to stop at the ends of the pool, take a few deep breaths, and then start off again. This really helped my confidence.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I just need to keep getting my yardage up and improving my confidence in the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Finishing as far back as I did, I was pretty discouraged. I ran to the line and walked to the bike rack and got ready to go. I really had to push hard to get myself fired up for the bike. It was a head-check moment. I gave myself the proverbial kick in the arse and got ready to ride

Not allow myself to get out of it mentally. Every other mistake is a result of that key attitude.
Bike
  • 38m 37s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I was disappointed with my run performance and needed to make it up on the bike. I was slow getting started because I forgot to take the rubber cleat protectors off my shoes. So, when i couldn't clip in, I had to stop, take off the covers, and start again. Problem solved, race on!

I started slow. I wasn't going to make up time in the first 3 minutes. My legs were a little fatigued, so I slid around my saddle to make sure I was engaging the proper muscles and continued to up the cadence.

After about 4 minutes in the saddle, I was up to cadence and feeling good. Slammed it over into the big ring to see how long I could keep it up. There wasn't anything to save my legs for; I swim mostly with my upper body and don't kick much. It was time to leave it on the course.

My average speed was 19+ and it was nice to see 20+ on my bike computer. I passed quite a few people. I tried to count but couldn't. I probably could have gone faster, but I needed to climb a bit of a hill and went back to the small ring, only to throw my chain. So, dismount, reset the chain, climb back on. My legs were screaming at me for stopping, so it took a bit to get back up to cadence. Once I was back up, it was right back to the big ring and zooming.

A quick bit of math tells me I have to average 18 mph to break 40 min. on the bike. My bike computer tells me I'm at 18.8. Not good enough, I slam a bit of Accelerade, go down to the drops, and drive on. By the end of the ride, my computer shows 19.2 avg spd. Job well done

Obviously make sure that I take the rubber protectors off my cleats!

Other than that, not a whole lot. I have to make sure my bike mileage stays up. I was impressed with my ability to keep an 85-90 cadence on the big ring. I'll certainly push my bike pace when I get a flat course like this one was.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

My first time riding with my feet on top of the shoes. I did pretty well. I didn't jump off the bike, but I'll practice that a bit more in the future. My great bike time REALLY gave me a shot in the arm. My attitude was 1000% better than when I started and I carried that with me to the pool.

My gloves have given me problems in all three races. I may try to ride without them next time. Everything else went pretty well.
Run
  • 24m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really bad on this run. I started out a little bit too strong because I was running with a bunch of Soldiers. If there's one thing we can do, it's run. So, they all went out strong. I went as strong as I could, but I just didn't have the legs that I needed to keep up. Toward the end of the run, I looked back to make sure I wasn't DFL, which I wasn't. There were no mile markers at all so I had no idea how fast or slow I was going. I kept trudging along and hoping I could hold on.

When I crossed the line, I realized that I had just run a 24:00 5k; a PB for the distance this year. When I got home, I looked at my past races and saw that my pace per mile was faster than ANYTHING I had run all year. It just wasn't as fast as all the "PT studs" that I was in the race with. The big question was: "Did I give up too much on the run?" I remembered last years IM Kona, which was won on the bike, and hoped that I could make up some much needed ground there.

Not worry about my relative place with everyone else. I had a good race that felt bad.

I also need a running challenge month. My bike and swim base have really benefited from those challenge months.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to folks who were there. Gathered up gear, packed up, and went the post-race celebrations.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

30 extra pounds
Poor choices of pre-race meal
Not checking my bike shoes before the race
No mile markers to help me gauge my pace

Event comments:

This post-race was the best, hands-down, of any other that I have ever seen. There wasn't just bagels, fruit, and water. There was a breakfast buffet: breakfast burritos, sweet rolls, muffins, beans, rice, orange juice, sweet tea, and coffee. The medals were HUGE. The overall winners got a huge glass plaque thingy AND vacations. That's right, vacations. One of the sponsors ponied up for 2 nights in Orlando and 3 nights in Daytona Beach for the men's and women's overall winners. This was pretty cool, and kinda funny. The women's overall winner was a teenager! She just beamed from ear-to-ear when she found out they were giving her a vacation. It was really cool!

Last updated: 2005-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:08 | 750 meters | 02m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 0/60
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Continuous laps in an outdoor 50m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:37 | 12.4 miles | 19.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/13
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on some freshly paved roads. Not many hills to speak of.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:03 | 03.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/13
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop around Main Post. Not terribly hilly
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-04 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: Ft. Benning Reverse Triathlon

2005-06-04 8:01 PM
in reply to: #168552

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: Ft. Benning Reverse Triathlon
Ya mean beer isn't carbo loading before a race? *Quietly puts down drink hoping nobody notices* You ran a great race, congrats! I'd love to try a reverse tri, especially in the summer. Did you find it harder, easier, or just different than a traditional tri?
2005-06-04 9:47 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
That sounds like a total blast!  Hmmm.... starting off with the most physically challenging sport first, good idea.
2005-06-05 4:32 PM
in reply to: #168717

User image

Expert
White House, TN

lynda - 2005-06-04 8:01 PM Ya mean beer isn't carbo loading before a race? *Quietly puts down drink hoping nobody notices* You ran a great race, congrats! I'd love to try a reverse tri, especially in the summer. Did you find it harder, easier, or just different than a traditional tri?

I found it better suited to my strengths and weaknesses.  I have always felt that running was one of my stronger suits, so to be able to put up a good pace and continue from there was better than doing everything else and then seeing what was left for the run.

But, the downside is that swimming is my weak suit.  To put it at the end worried me, especially if it was a open water swim.  I wouldn't have had the confidence to swim open water at the end of a race.

Physically, I think it was better; psychologically, it wasn't.

2005-06-06 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Maybe I'm proselytizing here but I would recommend never using bike gloves in a triathlon in the shorter distances, plus I'm really happy with MTB runnable bike shoes (I use SPD's now) instead of the big cleat, hard to run in, road shoe/cleat types. I know I had some trouble myself with transitions this last weekend (Do I have a mote in my eye?) but I long ago gave up gloves after seeing that it easily costs half a minute or so to put them on over wet hands. One option is to velcro them together on your top tube and put them on during the ride, but that will distract and slow you down plus you may drop them. Great race though! We both have one leg to work on, mine is the run, and yours is the swim. Isn’t there a swim coach/survival instructor at Fort Benning that can coach you? I may do Indian Springs, will you be there?

Oh, I had to read your report backwards to follow the race so it would have probably been better for you to put the T1 stuff in T2 and visa versa.

Edited by JTee 2005-06-06 1:19 PM
2005-06-06 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
London, UK

Great race!  In particular, what a great run!  You're really on a roll now.

2005-06-07 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Buddy, congrats on the awesome race.  Looks like you exorcised some swim demons!  Great race and thanks for sharing the RR.
2005-06-09 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Wow! Very impressive times!
2005-06-11 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race....I love that it was reverse.  Congrats on a PB on your 5K too...just gotta kick their butts in the pool...Take care -SMO
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ft. Benning Reverse Triathlon Rss Feed