www.sommersports.com
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 53s
Overall Rank = 241/408
Age Group = Clydesdale -
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Drove down Saturday evening after a hectic day of work around the house, symphony auditions for my daughter, etc. I wanted to go early and get my race packet, preview the course, etc. but didn't get the chance.

I had the start of what felt like a migraine coming on Sat. night, and didn't sleep well, but I felt good when I got up at 5:30. I proceeded to drag the girls out to the truck..they aren't too enamored of early Sunday morning wake up calls!

Ate a banana and an oatmeal creme pie. I love those stupid things..

Got to the race site, felt rushed trying to register, get my chip/numbers marked/transition area set up. As much as I love my girls, next time we're going to drive two vehicles or something! The rushing around came back to bite me later, as I didn't notice that we had assigned racks (got a 2 minute penalty).

Event warmup:

Finally got to go to the restroom, stretched, got in the water and swam a bit. The swim was in Lake Minneola, which is a beautiful lake with water the color of tea. You can't see your hand in front of your face underwater.

I stood watching the elite wave and several others go off. Those guys were scary fast! The swim was 1/4 mile, and some of them were out in under 5 minutes.

Right before the horn for my wave (Clydesdales), my crazy daughters did their best Rob Schneider imitation, shouting "You can DO it!" like he does in all of Adam Sandler's movies. I went into the water laughing.
Swim
  • 09m 13s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I waded in from the outside, started swimming..and promptly swam into a pole! Actually, I just hit it with one arm, but I need to look up more. I then headed off to the right, had to correct, and from then on spent more time sighting. I had a relatively uncrowded swim as I'm sure I was toward the back of my wave; I had one guy grab my ankle but no real issues.
What would you do differently?:

I would've liked to have controlled my breathing a little better. I had a tendency to go hard and then gasp for breath; had to keep telling myself to be smooth, slow down, and pace. I still came out of the water a bit winded.

I was happy though; this was my first time, so I figured anything that got me out of the water and on with the course was OK. My wife yells "Run, baby!" at me as I exit...I said something like "I AM running!"..trotted toward the transition.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

No wet suit, so I just scrubbed a bit of grass from my feet, put my socks/shoes/helmet/glasses on, and trotted out. I didn't bother with a shirt. I use MTB shoes so running out and getting clipped in was fine.

I need some short socks..I had regular ol' tube socks that took a few seconds.
Bike
  • 38m 9s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.87 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a fun bike course! After a few short hills getting up out of the lake park, the first 7 miles was relatively flat, and I used this time to sit down, get my heart rate down, and spin. I passed a few people here.

After about mile 7, the hills started. There were some nice big rollers, and I passed a bunch of people. I traded places with one guy and two girls almost the whole rest of the way in; the girls would pass us on the up-hills and we'd fly past on the downhills. My bike computer was screwed up but I'd guess I got up to 40+ on some of the downhills. Most of the time I was able to sit down and spin going uphill, but at least twice, I had to stand up and git'er'dun.

The roads in town at the start and finish were potholed, sandy, and wet in places; lots of turns in these areas required some care.

The official results include a 2 minute penalty for my bike rack error, so I would've placed higher otherwise. I corrected the time but I'd have to slog through the results to figure out where I actually placed on the bike, and I just don't care that much. :)

Remember my water bottles! I forgot them all, and so I had to wait until the run start to get water.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Transistion went fine; put the bike up, helmet off, race belt on, and trotted out.

staple my number to the race belt! I used the elastic things on the belt, which promptly ripped through on one side. I had to folt the number into the top of my shorts.
Run
  • 27m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I know I was slow going out and up the hill. I started to get my legs back and picked up the pace after about a mile. I didn't see any mile markers and don't have any fancy schmancy GPS units, so I have no idea what my splits were.

I think I could've pushed harder..I felt better after the finish than I did in my half marathon in February. Of course, anything short of being beaten in the forehead with a sledge hammer would've felt better..I am in better shape now, which helps.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around with the girls, who were seriously bummed that the pizza was already gone. Drank 2-3 waters and eyed the massage tables, but didn't get one..should've.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being 18 and wearing cuter spandex? More training and experience should help.

Event comments:

I should've stuck around a bit..I found out after I got home that they gave awards down to 5th place, and so I have a ribbon or somesuch to pick up next time.

I realized when I went back in to transition that they had numbers on the racks, and that I'd racked my bike in the wrong spot. It didn't matter for entry/exit (entry one end, exit the other) but the official results posted have a 2 minute penalty tacked on to my bike time. I don't mind, I screwed up, and it didn't affect my placing; I just won't do that again. :)

I hope the race photographer got a couple of pictures where I don't look like a complete jackass, as I forgot my own camera. I'll post them, if so.

Overall, I had a blast! It felt great to finish, and better to actually place. I know I'm solidly in the back/middle of the pack, and would've been in the bottom 3rd of my age group, but I am happy regardless. I'll be back there next month and afterwards for 3 more races, and hope to have fun and improve.

Last updated: 2005-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:13 | 440 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 199/408
Performance: Average
Suit: N/A
Course: The course was a triangle; beach start out to a buoy, around to another, and back in to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:09 | 12 miles | 18.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 191/408
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course was around the lake, then out away from the lake on the return and through some killer hills. I forgot the camera; next time I'm going to take some pictures of that course. Immediately after getting on the bike, you go up a fairly steep short couple of hills..I saw people walking there and on another bigger hill later on in the course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:27 | 03.1 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 210/408
Performance: Average
Course: Out from the lake park, up the hill again..argh! Then paralleling the lake and back down to run along a path by the lake to the turn around. From the turn around, it was fairly flat back to the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-05 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Central FL Triathlon Series #1

2005-06-05 5:48 PM
in reply to: #168999

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: Central FL Triathlon Series #1
Congrats; you had a fantastic bike split. I had to laugh at your wife's "Run" comment. Remeinded me of my husband yelling push when I was in labor. Uh, Ya Think?

Good job.
2005-06-05 6:13 PM

User image

Miami FL

Congratulations on your first race!

2005-06-05 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

Wow! Nice time! Averaging 18+ mph on that course is great. You also had a very good swim time. As far as the socks...ditch em, go w/o & improve your transition times.  Great job...I'll see you there at race # 2.

2005-06-05 7:36 PM

Master
Boston
Hey there Kendall- Gotta love that tea colored Lake Minneola. Looks blue from the outside, doesn't it? Anyways, tough break about the bike rack penalty. That's still cool you got a medal though! And, I know all about those hills in Clermont. I don't ever want to do the TriAmerica race there again. Bout killed me on the bike last year. Great finish!
2005-06-06 5:23 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good race and a fun race repot!

2005-06-10 7:57 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Impressive race and race report. I agree, ditch the sox at least till the run, and maybe durring the run on short courses. Live and learn on the racking penalty. Glad to see you had a chance to enjoy the race as it happened.
2005-06-10 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pics are up..gawd they're awful! It's funny how you can have the illusion that your gut is mostly gone until you see pics of yourself running and jouncing! Oh well.. hopefully soon I can look back and laugh!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...
2005-06-13 4:18 PM

User image

Buttercup

How did I miss this?!

You did awesome! Congratulations! Good job on the swimming, too!

Love the new action avatar too!

Edited by Renee 2005-06-13 4:21 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Central FL Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed