United States
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 25s
Overall Rank = 262/515
Age Group = M 30-39
Age Group Rank = 78/119
Pre-race routine:

Wife and I are first-timers, so we don't really have a "routine"...
We dropped off our bikes and bags at the transition area. Some friends were already there, so we set up near them. Took the first of many biffy breaks. Went down to get registered and marked. Came back to start organizing our transition areas. Went to listen to the race meeting, then returned to finish setting up. Put on wetsuits, and walked down to the beach.
Event warmup:

Just some quick swim warm-ups. Felt good - no indication of the trouble to come.
Swim
  • 10m 49s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ugh. After our open water swim on Thursday, I was really looking forward to the swim. It had felt great swimming in a wetsuit, and I was anticipating the adrenaline to really carry me. I wasn't expecting the chop. Was it bad? I've nothing to compare it to, but others told me it was pretty bad. I couldn't swim more than 5 or 6 strokes before swallowing a mouthful, so I resorted to a mix of breast-, side-, and back-strokes. Others (wife included) seemed to be having similar difficulties, so our wave seemed to remain pretty bunched up. I would guess I didn't swim more than 100 yards of the course freestyle because of the chop. Strangely, my time didn't seem to suffer. I hoped to finish between 10 and 12 minutes, and my watch showed me coming out of the water around 11 minutes. Either the course was shorter than 400, or I'm a lot better breaststroker than I thought. Yeah, that's it.
What would you do differently?:

Practice in rough water!
Transition 1
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

100 yard uphill run from the lake to transition. I ran about 2/3 of it.
Logistically, no problems in T1. Everything was right where I left it, and it felt smooth. My mountain bike shoes aren't the quickest to put on, but it gave me a minute to catch my breath. Took a shot from an Enervitene Cheer Pack, and hit the road.

Nothing. It wasn't a fast transition, but I don't feel like anything really went wrong. The shoes are slow - I'll blame them.
Bike
  • 42m 50s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.81 mile/hr
Comments:

After previewing the course the week prior to the race, I knew it had a few good-sized hills, so I was a little unsure how the ride would go. As it turns out, it went great. I felt strong the whole way, especially up the hills. I felt like I was passing a lot more people than were passing me on the hills, and my legs never felt tired. Most of my training rides have included pulling my two sons around in the Burley. Without that 80 extra pounds back there, I felt like I had a rocket up my @$$. :)
Ate an Enervit Cola goo at the 7 mile mark. Mmmm...tasty!

Get a tri bike. :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

No real memories of T2. I was feeling kind of detached at that point. Took another shot of Enervitene Cheer Pack, and had a big pull of water. Too much water, actually - it felt heavy in my stomach.

Less water.
Run
  • 26m 7s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to take it easy until the halfway point, then re-evaluate and see how fast I thought I could finish. I was focusing on smooth, easy running, and keeping my cadence up. There seemed to be a largish pack of us that were all about the same speed, so that helped. I grapped just a sip of water at the turnaround, and started back. I was feeling good - just a minor side stitch - so I picked up the pace a bit. The return run went by really quickly, and before I knew it I was back in the park. My legs still felt good, and it felt like I was passing more than being passed. With about 200 yards to go, I kicked it up again and finished strong. A couple of fist-pumps as I crossed the line, and I can officially call myself a triathlete!

In hindsight, I probably could've gone out a little quicker, but I'm happy that I stuck to my plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish area. Ate a banana and 2 liters of water.

Event comments:

Four months of training finally came to fruition! I'm so proud of the effort my wife and I have put into this, and hope that our young sons will someday come to appreciate the value of hard work and dedication, and the personal rewards that come with it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:49 | 400 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/119
Overall: 331/515
Performance: Bad
Suit: yes
Course: triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:50 | 12 miles | 16.81 mile/hr
Overall: 209/515
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Around Lake Buffalo.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:07 | 03 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 204/515
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out-and-back. Followed along the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-06-05 10:03 PM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: Tri-Buffalo

2005-06-06 5:50 AM
in reply to: #169149

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Subject: RE: Tri-Buffalo
Great Job!

1st Tri finish-What a feeling!

I experienced choppy water on the lake the other day and that is tough to swim in. I'm not sure if there is a secret on how to swim it. I think I drank most of the lake.

What's next?

Randy
2005-06-06 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Congratulations to you and your wife. Great race! If you did that well on a mtn bike, just wait until you get a road or tri bike! Zooom!
2005-06-06 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
I hope you're hooked now! The hook was set in me last year.

Way to go! You can be proud of your performance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Buffalo Rss Feed