Stirling Triathlon Club
12C / 54F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 49s
Overall Rank = 196/264
Age Group = Vet
Age Group Rank = 52/62
Pre-race routine:

Helped at the registration tent doing the body marking. I thoroughly recommend this job. Fascinating the difference in peoples limbs. Some were smooth and easy to write on, much like writing on a bannana skin with a ball point pen. Others were quite unfeasably hard, some thick, some thin. None were flabby (I did not write my own number on though).
Event warmup:

Suffered from a sore stomach prior to the race. Probably caused by pre race nerves and the random eating times, had breakfast before 6:00am and didn't eat anything else prior to my race 10:00am.
Very limited warm up. We had 3 mins until start time when we got into the pool so did a token couple of lengths
Swim
  • 12m 45s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started 5th in my lane and was instantly caught up in a train of people. It took several lengths to get past 3 people, sometimes was down to swimming breaststroke. Eventually cleared them and set off in pursuit of the remaining person. Caught her pretty easily and sat behing her taking a tow. Swim from here on felt pretty easy other than worrying wether or not to overtake.
What would you do differently?:

The time must include getting out of the pool and running to the start of T1 so I've got to be happy with the time. Overall though it felt way too easy, this is probably a knock on from last months BT swim challenge. I guess my predicted swim time was not fast enough.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Shirt got a bit stuck on the shoulders.

Maybe invest in one of these tri suits so that I don't need to put a shirt on.
Bike
  • 45m 33s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Fairly depressing ride. The same thing happened as the last time I did this race (1998). As I've got a fairly reasonable swim time I'm paired with all these guys that are much better than me. The result is in the first mile of the cycle everyone hammers past me and I struggle on in complete isolation until the fast guys from the next wave catch up and zoom past.

I'm open to suggestions. Obviously get better at the bike is the easy thing to say, it's just tough to put into practise. I may start a thread to see what others have to say on this.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Ok, maybe I over stated the bike problem because when I got back to the bike rack I wasn't last. Huge big gap on the rack for competitor 505, the trouble was I was no. 504. Managed to squeeze my bike in at the third attempt.

I had helped put the numbers on the scaffolding the previous day, so I should have checked my number then and given myself tons of room.
Run
  • 25m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Not very happy with the run either. Half way round my stomach was really bothering me again. Felt bloated and uncomfortable.
Tricky conditions and was definitely struggling. Still had the same problem as the bike where generally everyone is passing me giving the knock on effect of making me feel worse than it probebly is.

Not have a sore tummy.
Maybe take on some energy bar or something during the cycle.
Post race
Warm down:

Very much a token warm down. I was to keen to find out how everyone else had done. Must remember to do a better warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A sore stomach and competing in a bit of a vacuum.

Event comments:

My race report doesn't sound very up beat. This is wrong, I had a great time. I think when your writing a report it's hard not to focus on all the things that didn't go quite right.
I brought my camera to take some photos. Was the first bike in transition so I took a photo of that. I then helped at registration and forgot all about my camera until I was heading home. I might get some other pictures from a friend.
The bike split times are not in yet, I will update this when they are.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:45 | 750 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/62
Overall: 61/264
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Stirling university swimming pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:33 | 12.43 miles | 16.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 59/62
Overall: 217/264
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: The course is pretty much flat. Looping out to Alva and back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:14 | 03.11 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/62
Overall: 217/264
Course: Two loops of the lake at Stirling University. The path was flooded at some points and generally muddy all the way round.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-06 6:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: Stirling Try a Tri

2005-06-06 6:40 PM
in reply to: #169212

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Stirling Try a Tri
After all that, I'm glad to hear you actually enjoyed the race!! In tough conditions too.
I'd kill for your swim & run times. You haven't posted your bike time (and I could probably work it out if I did some maths) but I can work this out...looking at your totals for 2005 you've spent 30-40 hours each in the water and running & 7 hours biking only 7 hours!!

Me thinks you just need to bump up your hours spent on the bike and you'll get the desired result.

Congratulations - you'll now need to come up with some new short term goals.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stirling Try a Tri Rss Feed