2011-01-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3317565

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - CLOSED!
hippotude - 2011-01-24 6:55 AM
Emmanem - 2011-01-23 1:27 PM
Kenott - 2011-01-23 9:25 AM
Emmanem - 2011-01-21 10:52 PM I'm a little frustrated... the pool had some sort of leak over christmas break and was supposed to reopen next week.  Well then I checked the website and now they've found even more leaks and they have no idea when they can reopen.  I really need to get back into the pool.  I don't know what to do about this.

If you have a 24hr Sport, they offer a one-day pass.  Not great for all your swims ($) but it might makes sense to get a couple in before your pool is back in business.  I have used this option a couple of times.  I really like the YMCA, but their pool hours and rules for closing SUCK.  We use more than one location now to try to get the swims in.

Well I remembered that there was a pool in Anderson (about 20 minutes away) that had daily passes so looked them up and found out that the city is shutting them down on the 31st of this month.... Now my only options are in Greenville and that's a 45 minute ride so that's probably not gonna happen. 

I know driving 45 minutes to a pool sucks...but if that is the only option then you might want to consider it until the other pool becomes available.  Tif and I drive 45 minutes to our pool...it make for a long day after school but it is worth it in the long run to keep the swim fittness.  Just some food for thought.

Might I add that there is plenty of time between now and the 31st for a few swims as well.  Get your arse in the pool.  But then yeah, if you have to drive 45 minutes you have to.  Especially if the swim is not a strength for you and your planning on an Olympic or HIM.  You can't just shove that swim training in at the end.

2011-01-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3317674

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I say if you did the work and ran the race you can put any sticker you want on your car. Be proud of what you did. If anyone thinks that any race is to miniscule to put on your car then they are to stuck up to care about what they think. They dont know what you went through to toe the line. Hell if I ran a bad arse 5k I would throw that sticker up.

roadrhino - 2011-01-24 8:37 AM

Random question for the group:

This sunday I plan on completing my first stand-alone running event (aside from a "fun" 5K I did a few weeks ago). It's a half marathon. In my mind I've already done 1 half mary (as part of 70.3), but folks insist this is a whole different experience.

So, the question is, for vanity purposes only, should I purchase and put a "13.1" sticker on my vehicle to go along with the 70.3? Or is 13.1 too miniscule compared to 70.3 and even 26.2?

One of my thoughts is that it is a tribute to my accomplishments and a bit of bragging rights in a parking lot full of coworkers who are sedentary and call me crazy on a frequent basis. Smile

My other thought is that I would look like a tool to those who have done longer distances, when I have 2 "half" stickers adorning my window.

Although I do completely intend to do the 26.2 and 140.6 and will definitely put both of those stickers on my truck.

What say you, MG peeps?

Edited by Newtons1st 2011-01-24 10:54 AM
2011-01-24 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3314338

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
lol, I am so glad I havent had any such nakedness issues while swimming.

KeriKadi - 2011-01-21 5:46 PM Funny Thomas

Along the lines of what I get to see in the locker room and the whole discussion on nudity and what is appropriate, this is my gem of the day.

I had to swim at a different pool I've only been to once because of low temps.  I get there and the lobby is FULL of geezers and I'm thinking this is good they are on their way out after their sit and stand silver sneakers class and their aqua exercise class. 
I get to the pool and it's like a scene from the movie Cocoon!  The place is packed!  The good news is most of them were in the open aqua class and not in lap lanes except for the 70 year old dog paddling woman in my lane wearing her Ironman swim cap.

I get my swim in and once in the locker room have to wait for a shower.  They are everywhere.  It's like a cocktail party for women over 65 at a nudist colony!  Yikes!  I hear one woman talking to another about this face mud that is wonderul and she starts lathering the other woman.  I manage to duck into the shower but when I come out she is standing there ready to cover me in mud!  There is no personal boundary space and she is STILL naked!

I wish I could take my eyeballs out and wash them off!

Ken is going to be so very disappointed when he downloads my tri bag cam.
2011-01-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2558074

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
So after today I will be very scarce around he as I will be out of town on an 8 day vaca/work trip.

For work I have to goto Vegas the 28-2nd, but me and the wife will be heading out tomorrow for some alone adult time. You know what married couples with kids do when they finally have the kids out of the house is....sleep in!!!

Hopefully this time in Vegas the wife and I wont get propositioned by another couple for a swap party. That guy just wasnt my type.

So I will be doing just running while there. I may try and find a pool to swim in.
2011-01-24 2:21 PM

User image

Master
roadrhino - 2011-01-24 9:37 AM

This sunday I plan on completing my first stand-alone running event (aside from a "fun" 5K I did a few weeks ago). It's a half marathon. In my mind I've already done 1 half mary (as part of 70.3), but folks insist this is a whole different experience.

So, the question is, for vanity purposes only, should I purchase and put a "13.1" sticker on my vehicle to go along with the 70.3? Or is 13.1 too miniscule compared to 70.3 and even 26.2?

One of my thoughts is that it is a tribute to my accomplishments and a bit of bragging rights in a parking lot full of coworkers who are sedentary and call me crazy on a frequent basis. Smile

My other thought is that I would look like a tool to those who have done longer distances, when I have 2 "half" stickers adorning my window.

Although I do completely intend to do the 26.2 and 140.6 and will definitely put both of those stickers on my truck.

What say you, MG peeps?

I say get the sticker!  I know I will once I run a half marathon... speaking of which I still need to find one to train for. 
2011-01-24 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3317732

User image

Master
bzgl40 - 2011-01-24 9:54 AM
hippotude - 2011-01-24 6:55 AM
Emmanem - 2011-01-23 1:27 PM
Kenott - 2011-01-23 9:25 AM
Emmanem - 2011-01-21 10:52 PM I'm a little frustrated... the pool had some sort of leak over christmas break and was supposed to reopen next week.  Well then I checked the website and now they've found even more leaks and they have no idea when they can reopen.  I really need to get back into the pool.  I don't know what to do about this.

If you have a 24hr Sport, they offer a one-day pass.  Not great for all your swims ($) but it might makes sense to get a couple in before your pool is back in business.  I have used this option a couple of times.  I really like the YMCA, but their pool hours and rules for closing SUCK.  We use more than one location now to try to get the swims in.

Well I remembered that there was a pool in Anderson (about 20 minutes away) that had daily passes so looked them up and found out that the city is shutting them down on the 31st of this month.... Now my only options are in Greenville and that's a 45 minute ride so that's probably not gonna happen. 

I know driving 45 minutes to a pool sucks...but if that is the only option then you might want to consider it until the other pool becomes available.  Tif and I drive 45 minutes to our pool...it make for a long day after school but it is worth it in the long run to keep the swim fittness.  Just some food for thought.

Might I add that there is plenty of time between now and the 31st for a few swims as well.  Get your arse in the pool.  But then yeah, if you have to drive 45 minutes you have to.  Especially if the swim is not a strength for you and your planning on an Olympic or HIM.  You can't just shove that swim training in at the end.

I was planning on doing this... since they're shutting it down their website is down and I can't find information on their hours and cost.  I remember thinking their hours were weird so I dont wanna drive out there without being sure of their hours... Can't believe I can't even find a phone number. 

2011-01-26 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
roadrhino - 2011-01-24 8:37 AM

What say you, MG peeps?

I thought about this quite a bit when I completed my HM last year.  After a few weeks, I decided that since the 70.3 seemed attainable I would wait on that distance for the sticker.  I agree it's a nice conversation piece for those you run into that don't move at all. I will say anything you feel is a significant accomplishment, from getting off the couch to completing a 140.6, is worthy of being proud of.  Since 140.6 is possibly further than I will go, the 70.3 sticker may represent my greatest race accomplishment.  I have been made a liar by this sport more than once.  I swore I would NEVER run 13 miles again after I completed the HM. 

I decided to "stick" with one sticker that represented what I am most proud of.  I must admit I laugh at the cars that are COVERED with every possible distance / sport / race they have done.  For example, if you have a 13.1 or 26.2 sticker I would think taking the 5k or 10k sticker off might be in order.  Just my thoughts.

Here is hoping I get to attach "70.3" to my new company car when it comes in.  I haven't put any sticker on any company car up until this next one (working on my 6th company vehicle).
2011-01-27 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
In regards to stickers.....

I think I have an old coat laying around from high school with an 800 and 1600 on sleeve (high school track). If they had stickers back then I would of had them on my hyundai excel. I was so cool back then.

Regardless of the distance, if you're proud of the races you've entered, then put a sticker on your car. I personally think it has less to do with the distance, and more to do with the showing the people around you the healthy lifestyle you've choosen to live.

Edited by Houstonrider 2011-01-27 3:23 PM
2011-01-28 6:05 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Hey peeps.  Today I got to go throw down a quick swim and then I am off to meet the real Kim.  Sounds like she's enjoying Tucson, and not just cause NJ got 18 inches of fresh new snow.  lol.  Then tomorrow I am off to New Zealand.  Yeah.  I hear the weather is going to kind of bite while I'm there but I'm sure Tina and I will find plenty of things to do in the rain...and see the sights as well.  Wink  I expect you all to behave and get lots of awesome training in while I am gone.
2011-01-28 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3326197

User image

Pro
Houston
bzgl40 - 2011-01-28 6:05 AM Hey peeps.  Today I got to go throw down a quick swim and then I am off to meet the real Kim.  Sounds like she's enjoying Tucson, and not just cause NJ got 18 inches of fresh new snow.  lol.  Then tomorrow I am off to New Zealand.  Yeah.  I hear the weather is going to kind of bite while I'm there but I'm sure Tina and I will find plenty of things to do in the rain...and see the sights as well.  Wink  I expect you all to behave and get lots of awesome training in while I am gone.

Make sure you get a KimX2 pic for us!

Have a WONDERFUL time in New Zealand, I can't wait to hear all about it!
2011-01-28 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3326197

User image

Master
bzgl40 - 2011-01-28 7:05 AM Hey peeps.  Today I got to go throw down a quick swim and then I am off to meet the real Kim.  Sounds like she's enjoying Tucson, and not just cause NJ got 18 inches of fresh new snow.  lol.  Then tomorrow I am off to New Zealand.  Yeah.  I hear the weather is going to kind of bite while I'm there but I'm sure Tina and I will find plenty of things to do in the rain...and see the sights as well.  Wink  I expect you all to behave and get lots of awesome training in while I am gone.

Have fun in New Zealand!  Take lots of pictures to show us when you get back!! 

2011-02-03 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Hello???  Been quiet around here lately.  What's everyone up to?   Got my first 2 hour ride in this week.  Running's going really well too.  Ran 2.2 miles in 24 minutes yesterday... fastest run ever for me.  Still working on the whole swimming thing, there's supposed to be a place near where I live with a pool so I'm going to look into that until Clemson fixes the pool.
2011-02-03 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3337242

Extreme Veteran
Emmanem - 2011-02-03 10:33 AM Hello???  Been quiet around here lately.  What's everyone up to?   Got my first 2 hour ride in this week.  Running's going really well too.  Ran 2.2 miles in 24 minutes yesterday... fastest run ever for me.  Still working on the whole swimming thing, there's supposed to be a place near where I live with a pool so I'm going to look into that until Clemson fixes the pool.

Everyone in Texas is frozen. Smile

Nik & I just finished the Houston Half Marathon...both of us setting PRs, and Nik almost breaking the 2 hour mark. This week has been mostly light active recovery, and switching up some workouts to accomodate the weather (supposed to swim tonight, but having to drive 45 minutes each way on potentially icy roads will prevent us from going). Weather is supposed to warm up  this weekend, so we will get our long bike in on Sunday, and switch Sunday's run to Saturday, since running in the cold is not miserable for me.

Oh, now tomorrow is an official snow day for us...just got the email...not sure whether to be happy or sad. If we have to make up the day, I will most definitely be sad. Otherwise, yea!!!

Congrats on your accomplishments, Emma...awesome job getting in a 2 hour bike session...keep it up!
2011-02-03 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3337680

User image

Master
roadrhino - 2011-02-03 2:26 PM
Emmanem - 2011-02-03 10:33 AM Hello???  Been quiet around here lately.  What's everyone up to?   Got my first 2 hour ride in this week.  Running's going really well too.  Ran 2.2 miles in 24 minutes yesterday... fastest run ever for me.  Still working on the whole swimming thing, there's supposed to be a place near where I live with a pool so I'm going to look into that until Clemson fixes the pool.

Everyone in Texas is frozen. Smile

Nik & I just finished the Houston Half Marathon...both of us setting PRs, and Nik almost breaking the 2 hour mark. This week has been mostly light active recovery, and switching up some workouts to accomodate the weather (supposed to swim tonight, but having to drive 45 minutes each way on potentially icy roads will prevent us from going). Weather is supposed to warm up  this weekend, so we will get our long bike in on Sunday, and switch Sunday's run to Saturday, since running in the cold is not miserable for me.

Oh, now tomorrow is an official snow day for us...just got the email...not sure whether to be happy or sad. If we have to make up the day, I will most definitely be sad. Otherwise, yea!!!

Congrats on your accomplishments, Emma...awesome job getting in a 2 hour bike session...keep it up!

Congrats to both of you on the PRs!! That's awesome!  Stay warm and be careful in the snow and ice.
2011-02-04 9:08 PM

User image

Master
So I asked about pools near Clemson on the SC forum and they suggested a place called Clemson Central Rec Center... just looked it up and its 2 minutes from my apartment complex.  I didn't even know it existed and its that close!!  Going to check it out this coming week hopefully
2011-02-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3340094

User image

Veteran
Emmanem - 2011-02-04 9:08 PM So I asked about pools near Clemson on the SC forum and they suggested a place called Clemson Central Rec Center... just looked it up and its 2 minutes from my apartment complex.  I didn't even know it existed and its that close!!  Going to check it out this coming week hopefully

That is good news for you.  I hope the rec center works...that will be nice to have the pool 2 minutes away.  I wish the pool we have in town was reliable...and indoors...but it is not and so we must drive 45 mins, but it is worth it.

Good job on your two hr. bike ride.  Tif and I put 2 hrs in on the bike on Sunday.  I struggled through it...just getting over illness...but made it through. 

2011-02-08 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
You know its great when you go out of town for 10 days and come back to Dallas with ice and 7 inches of snow last friday.

Had a great time in Vegas. Oh lets see what can I actually say here? I did hang with Vince Neil but the rest, well what happens in Vegas.....

Plus now I am in shock to see a race on my calender. What the freak was I thinking. It will be a great training race at least. Maybe this time I will remeber to take off my running shoes before trying to mount my bike. Its a Du and was my first ever race in 09. I was so dead after the first run I forgot to take off running shoes while I had bike shoes clipped in. Went to mount and D'oh!!!

Its always something

2011-02-08 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

http://minus5mc.zenfolio.com/p213723771/e3d386ce5

Cool bar we went to. Everything is made of ice and its 15 degrees inside.

2011-02-08 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3345417

User image

Veteran
Newtons1st - 2011-02-08 1:48 PM

http://minus5mc.zenfolio.com/p213723771/e3d386ce5

Cool bar we went to. Everything is made of ice and its 15 degrees inside.

Tif and I saw that the last time we were in Vegas.  They give you a heavy coat and gloves to wear while in the bar...they specialize in Vodka too...if I remember correctly. 

Glad you had a good time...of course in Vegas it is hard not to.
2011-02-08 3:15 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Hey peeps. I'm in Australia waiting on my flight home so I thought I'd drop in and say hi. Tina has been in new Zealand so long she's talking like a kiwi. First time I caught it I laughed my arse off. Got lots of hiking in, even more sightseeing, and way too much eating. A couple of runs for giggles. All trail runs with mountains staring at me. I did get sick that put me out for most of a day but it was pouring rain so I guess I timed it well. Still not 100% but hope by tomorrow I can run or bike. Now we have 3 days to completely pack the house before Tina goes in the field again. No rest for the jet lagged. Lol
2011-02-09 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Oh Joy another ice and snow extravaganza here in Dallas. If it was jsut snow it would be fine but a nice sheet of ice will kill a run in a hurry.

2011-02-09 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3345580

User image

Veteran
Have a safe trip and get well.  I just got over sickness myself...now I am just trying to get rid of the congestion...I think that is more a pain then the fever and aches.

bzgl40 - 2011-02-08 3:15 PM Hey peeps. I'm in Australia waiting on my flight home so I thought I'd drop in and say hi. Tina has been in new Zealand so long she's talking like a kiwi. First time I caught it I laughed my arse off. Got lots of hiking in, even more sightseeing, and way too much eating. A couple of runs for giggles. All trail runs with mountains staring at me. I did get sick that put me out for most of a day but it was pouring rain so I guess I timed it well. Still not 100% but hope by tomorrow I can run or bike. Now we have 3 days to completely pack the house before Tina goes in the field again. No rest for the jet lagged. Lol
2011-02-09 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3346815

User image

Veteran
I am sure the snow and ice is getting old by now.  I am glad we are not getting all of that this week...just cold but we should still be able to get out and do a run.

Stay warm!  Hopefully this is the last snow and ice for the year.

Newtons1st - 2011-02-09 10:19 AM Oh Joy another ice and snow extravaganza here in Dallas. If it was jsut snow it would be fine but a nice sheet of ice will kill a run in a hurry.
2011-02-09 5:41 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
OK, I have all my pictures up on Facebook now for the trip.  I broke them up by "area" so there are a few albums.  Course...you have to be my FB friend to see them all.  I think most of you are
2011-02-11 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Hope everyone has a great and productive weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 220