BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2009-12-17 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2559403

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! OPEN
Kristen!! You are a FOODIE??????    " My food and wine blog...missadventuresinfoodandwine.blogspot.com"

Oh my God.....we will get along great.......I am ALL about food and cooking....and EATING!!!!!! 

2009-12-17 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
I want to join! I want to join! I will post bio later....
2009-12-17 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2565784

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
bluwatersoul - 2009-12-17 8:43 PM I want to join! I want to join! I will post bio later....

Welcome! I take it from your username that you are a swimmer???
2009-12-17 8:11 PM

Hallo everyone. I'm Chris, 33, single from Singapore, work as a project consultant. My job ties me down too much to my seat =( So far I have only done a couple of marathons and participated in a Cycle Challenge. I have read so much about tri in the news and always find it amazing how all these can be done. I want to give it a go myself. Since i'm totally new to tri, i have no clue where i should start from. So i hope everyone in here can help me out =)
2009-12-17 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2565804

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
aquagirl - 2009-12-17 7:59 PM
bluwatersoul - 2009-12-17 8:43 PM I want to join! I want to join! I will post bio later....

Welcome! I take it from your username that you are a swimmer???

hahahahaha, that is my crazed, delusional wishful thinking....

although I love the water!

Name: Megan/bluwatersoul

bio: I have always loved exercising, but never really good at organized sports. Since turning 40 a few years ago I have consistently looked for different ways to improve my health and well being through physical challenges. Did my first two sprint tri's last year and had an inbelievable good time! Married for 20 years with 4 kids ranging from ages 19-9, plus a huge black lab that refuses to run(with me, anyway)

training: In transition. A recent promotion at work has meant alot more hours inside and less flexibility with my am/pm time....and now when I am off, I am really wiped. Have joined the peach challenges to at least maintain some consistency,but I have to determine a schedule that I can stick to . I do think things should calm somewhat in the next month or two.
I belong to a masters swim group - believe me I need it. I can swim forever but I am as slow as it gets. I love the water but this has not translated into anything, yet. My form is not bad and I plan to stick with my skill sessions.

I have been doing regular sessions on the trainer and if I get my Garmin for xmas will be able to determine my cadence and distance better. I don't mind the trainer as it keeps me consistent.

running is a real love hate thing with me. I detest the treadmill and that is all I have been able to do lately so it is killing me! c25k really helped me a few years ago with consistency and ability, and I am interested to see how I can challenge myself in this area.

2010- I have many goals. I am participating in the Long Island Half Marathon, with the goal of finishing in good shape. I will also do a fun 5k run at JFK airport.  I still have not determined what tri's I want to do beyond the Trek womens that I did last year which is so close to home, but am thinking about a number of sprints in NY and NJ. I plan to finalize those decisions soon.

I want to lose the final 15 which have been up and down with me for the last 2-3 years (this is after losing a big 25 and then coming to a screeching halt). I want to get comfortable with the OWS, and hope to participate with an OWS swim group in the spring. I want to get to know my bike better as a machine - how to take care of it etc.

Edited by bluwatersoul 2009-12-17 8:14 PM
2009-12-17 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2565818

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
swchan - 2009-12-17 9:11 PM Hallo everyone. I'm Chris, 33, single from Singapore, work as a project consultant. My job ties me down too much to my seat =( So far I have only done a couple of marathons and participated in a Cycle Challenge. I have read so much about tri in the news and always find it amazing how all these can be done. I want to give it a go myself. Since i'm totally new to tri, i have no clue where i should start from. So i hope everyone in here can help me out =)

Hi Chris!! Welcome! You are obviously already an experienced runner......so you have 1/3 of the puzzle worked out already! We will help you with the rest! 

2009-12-17 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2565719

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
enders_shadow - 2009-12-17 7:05 PM Do you have room for one more? I'm Kristen - 37, married with 2 girls (almost 5 & 7), work as a professor. I've done 3 seasons of tris, but this last year was hell for me. Started with a failed marathon attempt in April - hurt my knee during last few weeks of training, limped through the marathon, and burnt out my mojo. Did a sprint or two during the summer on not-nearly-enough training, and then attempted an Oly in September, where I was pulled out of the water during the swim. Since then I've been on a downer...and I need to get out of it. My goals for this coming year is to get my act back together. I want to hit a sub-53 10K in March (did it last year at 53:55) and do a June sprint OWS tri (and probably a late-May pool tri to get my feet back under me). Thanks for letting me in (I hope!)!

Kristen, are you a Card fan?
2009-12-17 8:36 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
OK everybody.......I think we will cap the group at 15. Since there are two of us this should be a good number. We are currently at 10 people , with "swchan" aka Chris being the tenth person. I am embarrassed to admit that I am heading off to bed........yes, really. For anybody who pops by later please keep in mind that after "swchan" we can take 5 more people and then we will have to close.

Catch you all in the morning!
2009-12-17 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Can I join? 

I am a 45 year old single mom.  I have two boys ages 18 and 15.  Last year was a bit of a write-off for me as my mom was very ill earlier in the year, sold my house and moved just a few months ago.

I have completed a sprint tri back in 2008.  My goals for 2010 are to complete an Oly in early May and maybe do a couple of sprints.  Depending on how my training goes, maybe aim for a half later in the year or wait until 2011.

My problems is trying to find time to train (working and raising two boys).  I need that little push to get me started again and to get in a regular routine. I would also love to drop about 15 to 20 lbs.

Looking forward to chatting and getting to know all of you.

Karen

2009-12-17 9:07 PM

User image

I'm in.  I'm 43, married with 2 teenagers.  I did two sprints in 2009 and have 3 sprints & an olympic (my first open water) on the agenda for 2010.  I've run for years, but am new to the biking & swimming - although I'm getting an awesome new bike for Christmas!

Lisa
2009-12-17 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
WV

May I play??  I do play well with others.

NAME: Dr Hammer/ Suzie
STORY: I was runner by tradition.  I competed in college and ran for several years until work and life got in the way.  I got in to cycling and swimming as a way to recover from a back injury.  So, I have been on BT for a few years.  But, I still have yet to complete a triathlon... sigh.  Life has thrown me a couple sinkers over the last 3 years.  I train and start seeing the starting line and boom...something happens.  The first something was cancer.  I started that process in October of 2007.  Diagnosed Mar 17, 2008. I started training consistently again last spring after we got meds figured out. I  was increasing mileage and such and boom the second thing happened....MVA. I was hit head on my brother’s motorcycle by a dually.   I am still recovering.  I had surgery this week to fix my nose so I am on a week of recovery.
FAMILY STATUS: Single. I work in higher education.
CURRENT TRAINING: I'm working on my plan as we speak.  I would like to finish a HIM by this fall.  I am currently running more than anything.  My hand doesn’t like pressure from the bullhorn when riding yet yet.  ROM in the arm and wrist is a little off so it throws off my stroke.  But, both of those are improving.  I have added kettlebell work to help with strength, flexibility, and ROM.
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  None. 
2010 RACES:  Still working out the possibilities.  I would like to run a ½ marathon this spring.  Do at least 2-3 olympic distance before a fall HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose some weight.  All the life issues have made it difficult to train.  I have added about 15 since beginning grad school and haven’t really tried to get it off.

Edited by Dr Hammer 2009-12-17 10:39 PM

2009-12-17 9:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
If I'm counting right I think I'll make 14.  I would love to join the group.

I'm 40, married for 17 years, and have an 11 year old son and a 9 year old daughter. 

Last year was my first season.  I completed 1 sprint, 2 Oly's, 1/2 marathon and 1 indoor tri.  My goal for this year is to complete a HIM.  Not sure where yet, but I know I'm going to need some help getting there. 

I'm looking forward to a great season
Kelly
2009-12-17 10:01 PM

Uxbridge
One more person can sign up after gojogo...sorry folks.  So one more person can sign up after this post then we are closed! SOrry so short I am at work still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-12-17 10:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-12-17 10:18 PM

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
Can I jump on board? I was in a different group but we seem to have more in common.
Name: Chris
Story: I'm 42, I'm a new Critical Care Transport Nurse(ground, too big for the copters)spent the last 10 yrs in the ER. My shifts used to be 17-03 7on/7off. I think it was literally taking years off my life. I slept like crap, ate crap, and hence felt like crap. This new gig is great. 11-23 7on/7off. I 've doubled the amount of sleep I get. I'm able to eat better, on a regular schedule(for the most part) and I can workout even on the days I work.
My last tri was the Timberman sprint in 07. I finished it but it wasn't pretty. My brother lives in Woburn MA and my parents live in Laconia NH so a return to Timberman is my #1 goal for 2010. I don't want to just finish, I want to kick my brother's butt. He's ten yrs older(and in better shape right now) but I'm 50lbs heavier. The way I'm thinking, he can't get younger but I can get lighter and faster.
Family Status: married for 14 yrs, my wife is awesome and we have two girls 8 and 4.
Current training: Just started on Monday so this is working out well for me. I'm planning on following the couch to 5K aggressive plan and adding in as much biking as I can. I'm not too worried about the swim. I swam competitively distance freestyle in high school and for 2 yrs in college.
2009 Races: none, I was a slacker!!
2010 Races: Timberman sprint is my #1 race but I'm planning on getting a couple of local tris in here in Seattle prior to that one. Short term goal is to able to run a 5k by the end of March.
Weightloss: I'm 250 now and I would love to be in the 220-225 range by August.
What will make me a good mentee: I normally a very upbeat guy!! I'm like a sponge when it comes to triathlon advice.
Hopefully you ladies have a spot for me. Thanks Chris
2009-12-17 11:16 PM

Uxbridge
OUR GROUP IS CLOSED...Sorry folks. We want to be good mentors and dont want to spread ourselves to thin.

2009-12-18 3:09 AM
in reply to: #2566021

Expert
Cambridge
mav - 2009-12-18 5:16 AM OUR GROUP IS CLOSED...Sorry folks. We want to be good mentors and dont want to spread ourselves to thin.

Darnit! I was about to post :*(
2009-12-18 5:36 AM
in reply to: #2565757

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
aquagirl - 2009-12-17 8:26 PM

Kristen!! You are a FOODIE??????    " My food and wine blog...missadventuresinfoodandwine.blogspot.com"

Oh my God.....we will get along great.......I am ALL about food and cooking....and EATING!!!!!! 

Indeed - I am a foodie (and a much better foodie than a blogger... yikes! I should get that off my signature since I'm so lazy about updating it).

And yes, I am also an Orson Scott Card fan (I can't remember who asked that).

Looks like I found a perfect mentor group!
2009-12-18 6:09 AM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Of course, I'm still missing my MOJO.

I got in a little bike ride last night...was going to try to get up and go for a little run this morning (did I mention I broke/bruised my big toe last week while painting? I dropped a gallon of paint on it) to see if my toe could handle it, but I turned off the alarm and went back to bed.

Dealing with home repair folks today and snow called for tonight, so I'm not sure when/if I'll get anything in.
2009-12-18 6:16 AM
in reply to: #2566099

Veteran
Queens, NY
enders_shadow - 2009-12-18 5:36 AM
aquagirl - 2009-12-17 8:26 PM Kristen!! You are a FOODIE??????    " My food and wine blog...missadventuresinfoodandwine.blogspot.com"

Indeed - I am a foodie (and a much better foodie than a blogger... yikes! I should get that off my signature since I'm so lazy about updating it). And yes, I am also an Orson Scott Card fan (I can't remember who asked that). Looks like I found a perfect mentor group!

I asked about Card....LOVE his stories esp the Ender and Alvin Maker series!
2009-12-18 7:22 AM

Uxbridge
Good morning all! We have 16 members in our group.
losta mojo, halfdome,crimefighter,Garry,Nats,middling,endersshadow,bluwater soul,swchan,kew, iklarsen,Dr hammer,gojogo,bopper,erlifeguard

We will be checking all of your logs and harassing offering encouragement on your training. So dont forget to log your workouts. It just makes it alot easier to answer questions if Helen and I can see how your training has been going. If you have questions about how to post/log, I will try to help but honestly Helen is alot better at the technical aspects of computers!!! I am computer challenged!

I would also encourage you to check on eachother by posting on the forum and stopping by and inspiring one and other.

Many of you talked about motivation and staying the course on your training. 2 suggestions:

BT has some GREAT training plans. You might want to look at 20 week plans. I DO NOT think that you have to follow a plan to the  exact workout, but it does provide a guide so that you prevent overuse injuries . For those who  have a hard time managing work/home/training it is a great guide to help time management. It does have long training on the weekend which is great for those in traditional jobs!!! I find the BT plan to be VERY heavy on the swimming, so dont be frightened when you see swim workouts of 4000!( I dont think these kind of long workouts are necessary for a HIM)

Check out the challenge forums! I have met some of you on the challenge forums.....I am a challenge junkie. I love the challenges to keep me motivated on the off season. Something about having to meet a goal for the rest of the team keeps me accountable

I'm really excited about our group! I will try to stop by a few times a day and check in. The next few days are going to be a little hard as my family is all arriving for the holidays. I am having 13 for dinner on Sunday ( which now looks to be a snow storm). I am also working today and need to get in a longish run. Balance is the key Again welcome to all and Happy Holidays!!!!

2009-12-18 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2565866

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
kew - 2009-12-17 9:45 PM

Can I join? 

I am a 45 year old single mom.  I have two boys ages 18 and 15.  Last year was a bit of a write-off for me as my mom was very ill earlier in the year, sold my house and moved just a few months ago.

I have completed a sprint tri back in 2008.  My goals for 2010 are to complete an Oly in early May and maybe do a couple of sprints.  Depending on how my training goes, maybe aim for a half later in the year or wait until 2011.

My problems is trying to find time to train (working and raising two boys).  I need that little push to get me started again and to get in a regular routine. I would also love to drop about 15 to 20 lbs.

Looking forward to chatting and getting to know all of you.

Karen

Welcome Karen!  It is indeed hard to try and balance fitness and family......hopefully we can provide you with the motivation you need. Remember........if you take the time to take care of YOU it will make you a better mom in the end!!
2009-12-18 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2565897

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
lklarsen - 2009-12-17 10:07 PM I'm in.  I'm 43, married with 2 teenagers.  I did two sprints in 2009 and have 3 sprints & an olympic (my first open water) on the agenda for 2010.  I've run for years, but am new to the biking & swimming - although I'm getting an awesome new bike for Christmas!

Lisa

Hi Lisa! Welcome to the group! Lucky you for getting a new bike. You will find that a GREAT motivator to ride ride ride........ 
2009-12-18 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2565915

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Dr Hammer - 2009-12-17 10:21 PM

May I play??  I do play well with others.

NAME: Dr Hammer/ Suzie
STORY: I was runner by tradition.  I competed in college and ran for several years until work and life got in the way.  I got in to cycling and swimming as a way to recover from a back injury.  So, I have been on BT for a few years.  But, I still have yet to complete a triathlon... sigh.  Life has thrown me a couple sinkers over the last 3 years.  I train and start seeing the starting line and boom...something happens.  The first something was cancer.  I started that process in October of 2007.  Diagnosed Mar 17, 2008. I started training consistently again last spring after we got meds figured out. I  was increasing mileage and such and boom the second thing happened....MVA. I was hit head on my brother’s motorcycle by a dually.   I am still recovering.  I had surgery this week to fix my nose so I am on a week of recovery.
FAMILY STATUS: Single. I work in higher education.
CURRENT TRAINING: I'm working on my plan as we speak.  I would like to finish a HIM by this fall.  I am currently running more than anything.  My hand doesn’t like pressure from the bullhorn when riding yet yet.  ROM in the arm and wrist is a little off so it throws off my stroke.  But, both of those are improving.  I have added kettlebell work to help with strength, flexibility, and ROM.
THIS YEAR'S RACES:  None. 
2010 RACES:  Still working out the possibilities.  I would like to run a ½ marathon this spring.  Do at least 2-3 olympic distance before a fall HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose some weight.  All the life issues have made it difficult to train.  I have added about 15 since beginning grad school and haven’t really tried to get it off.

Hello Suzie!! We were in a challenge group way back last year ! Remember I was blogging from Paris?? So nice to have you here. Your positive attitude and determination are awe inspiring. I am sure that we will ALL benefit from having you here with us!!
2009-12-18 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2565941

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
gojogo - 2009-12-17 10:38 PM If I'm counting right I think I'll make 14.  I would love to join the group.

I'm 40, married for 17 years, and have an 11 year old son and a 9 year old daughter. 

Last year was my first season.  I completed 1 sprint, 2 Oly's, 1/2 marathon and 1 indoor tri.  My goal for this year is to complete a HIM.  Not sure where yet, but I know I'm going to need some help getting there. 

I'm looking forward to a great season
Kelly

Hi Kelly! You want help? You have come to the right place! Welcome.    
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76