BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2009-12-18 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2559403

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Bopper 2009-12-18 7:54 AM

2009-12-18 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2565984

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! OPEN
Bopper - 2009-12-17 11:11 PM

Hello all... if I'm too late, that's fine, but I'll join in the fun. I know Helen and Mav are GREAT motivators and positive people. This should be a fun group.

Name: Bopper aka Kevin

Occupation: Engineering Technician (cabinetmaker/computer programmer)... so desk job.

Bio: 45.5 year old clydesdale for life (190cm or 6'3" for the metrically challenged). I started doing triathlon's in 2007 competing in 5 sprints (swim and bike in two due to injury, and finished 3). In 2008 I competed in 2 sprints, 2 oly's and one HIM... as well as running in my first ever 1/2 marathon. This past year I completed 2 sprints, one aquathon and rode the bike leg of one sprint.

I am a strong cyclist, a slow but steady swimmer and a horrible runner (keep getting hurt so never get a chance to improve). Since coming down with Achilles tendonitis in August, I haven't been able to run... and stopped cycling in October to give it MORE chance to heal. During this time I've put back on 10kg (20#) and have lost my motivation to train. I need to lose that weight again and start training again. I would like to be able to run a Half Marathon some time next year... and I am doing a fund raising, 4 day cycling tour in August. So losing the weight and getting the motivation to train again is paramount.

I have a wonderful wife of 21 years (26 years together Jan 1). Three boys (17, 14 & 12) and some "minor" health issues that I'd like to keep minor so that I see those young men grow up into young adults. Losing the weight is a key issue for me.

I hope I'm not too late to join this group and look forward to the motivation and helping to motivate everyone else.

Let the fun begin. :D

Well Kevin! How nice to see you here! It will be awesome to torment  I mean motivate you back to training!! 
2009-12-18 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2565992

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
erlifeguard - 2009-12-17 11:18 PM Can I jump on board? I was in a different group but we seem to have more in common. Name: Chris Story: I'm 42, I'm a new Critical Care Transport Nurse(ground, too big for the copters)spent the last 10 yrs in the ER. My shifts used to be 17-03 7on/7off. I think it was literally taking years off my life. I slept like crap, ate crap, and hence felt like crap. This new gig is great. 11-23 7on/7off. I 've doubled the amount of sleep I get. I'm able to eat better, on a regular schedule(for the most part) and I can workout even on the days I work. My last tri was the Timberman sprint in 07. I finished it but it wasn't pretty. My brother lives in Woburn MA and my parents live in Laconia NH so a return to Timberman is my #1 goal for 2010. I don't want to just finish, I want to kick my brother's butt. He's ten yrs older(and in better shape right now) but I'm 50lbs heavier. The way I'm thinking, he can't get younger but I can get lighter and faster. Family Status: married for 14 yrs, my wife is awesome and we have two girls 8 and 4. Current training: Just started on Monday so this is working out well for me. I'm planning on following the couch to 5K aggressive plan and adding in as much biking as I can. I'm not too worried about the swim. I swam competitively distance freestyle in high school and for 2 yrs in college. 2009 Races: none, I was a slacker!! 2010 Races: Timberman sprint is my #1 race but I'm planning on getting a couple of local tris in here in Seattle prior to that one. Short term goal is to able to run a 5k by the end of March. Weightloss: I'm 250 now and I would love to be in the 220-225 range by August. What will make me a good mentee: I normally a very upbeat guy!! I'm like a sponge when it comes to triathlon advice. Hopefully you ladies have a spot for me. Thanks Chris

Hi Chris! Yay another nurse!! Welcome.    
2009-12-18 8:18 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED
Thanks Kevin!!
Here is the list.....feel free to copy and paste into your blog!

MAV & AQUAGIRL Mentor Group:
aquagirl - Helen
mav - Marianne

losta - Lisa
Mojo11 - Mike
halfdome - Rebecca
crimefighter2 - Duane
garryy - Gary
nats - Nathalie
middling - Angie
enders shadow - Kristen
bluewatersoul - Megan
swchan - Chris
kew - Karen
lklarsen - Lisa
Dr Hammer - Suzie
gojogo - Kelly
Bopper - Kevin
erlifeguard - Chris

Edited by aquagirl 2009-12-18 8:19 AM
2009-12-18 8:31 AM

Master
Hingham, Ma

I just wanted to say that you guys are very lucky to have these 2 women.  MAV has just about trained with every person from MA on BT, and it was usually their first OWS or bike ride.  She met me a week before my first race and we swam in 50 degree, rainy, weather.  And I was lucky enough to be a part of a relay team with Helen this summer for a HIM.  Whatever she says about her abilities on the bike, don't listen, she is super fast.  She is also a little crazy, but don't let that scare you. She is also very supportive and motivating.    

Enjoy the next three month.

2009-12-18 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2566287

2009-12-18 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2566363

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Boston Beginner - 2009-12-18 9:31 AM

I just wanted to say that you guys are very lucky to have these 2 women.  MAV has just about trained with every person from MA on BT, and it was usually their first OWS or bike ride.  She met me a week before my first race and we swam in 50 degree, rainy, weather.  And I was lucky enough to be a part of a relay team with Helen this summer for a HIM.  Whatever she says about her abilities on the bike, don't listen, she is super fast.  She is also a little crazy, but don't let that scare you. She is also very supportive and motivating.    

No no no...do not LISTEN to him! I am perfectly normal....really .......... completely run of the mill........bordering on BORING. Really!!         
2009-12-18 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2566460

Master
Hingham, Ma

aquagirl - 2009-12-18 9:53 AM

No no no...do not LISTEN to him! I am perfectly normal....really .......... completely run of the mill........bordering on BORING. Really!!         

She ran in -18 degrees yesterday.  I don't care what country you live in, that's not normal

2009-12-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2565426

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
aquagirl - 2009-12-17 3:49 PM ok...Duane...I gotta ask...WHAT the heck is your avatar all about??

Good morning - short version of the avatar - I found it posted on a website, don't recall which one, and simply thought it was funny as all get out.  One of these days I'll post a real picture I reckon.  I have technological issues at home with computer and internet and at times I am just really scrunched for time.  A little more about me - I am 38, married, have four children 14, 5, 4, & 2, with the last being my only son.  My first love (in sports) is basketball, but I also ran track in HS.  I am a prosecuting attorney by trade, and I am currently the head of the DUI unit and supervise several other attorneys.  After about an 8-10 year hiatus I got back on the workout wagon last year.  Primarily I run but sometimes bike as well.  Swimming....well, lets just say I never passed beginner's swimming lessons, despite multiple attempts as a child.  I am not afraid of the water, but, I doubt I ever do an OWS.  I ran many 5K's this past spring, summer, fall, and still going into the winter.  (I live in Illinois, so that is an accomplishment for me)  I have signed up for a half-marathon in May which is somewhat intimidating considering the longest race I have done is a 5K and the longest distance I've run so far has been 8 miles.  (actually, I think it was 7.75)  I am hoping to do a sprint or two in 2010 - in the late summer early fall, and a duathlon or two as well.  That is about all I can think of for now.  sorry for rambling in a looooong paragraph.  Have any questions, just ask!
(and thank you ladies for the support and inspiration)
2009-12-18 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2565691

Champion
the colony texas
aquagirl - 2009-12-17 6:49 PM
Gaarryy - 2009-12-17 5:27 PM Can i be in a mentor group... I need motivation ??

Have done tri's for a while.. sprint to IM...   got some weird sickness this summer which I had to do a few cycles of steroids and other drugs which I claim caused me to gain 20-25 pounds but it was really not working out and poor food choices since I wasn't training.. Now I'm having trouble getting going again since I fell off the training wagon.

Oh I hope your health has improved.  We have motivation to spare.......we will get you moving again!!! 

Wooo WOoo !!!      I made the cut

Gaarry  aka Garry aka Gary or my Indian name "man who eats lots of bacon & drinks Dt Mnt Dew"

I've been doing tri's for about 4 years now.    I was a pretty competitive volleyball player that one day decided to run a marathon, Luckily a co worker had run a few and mentioned that deciding on wednesday to run a marathon on sunday wasn't the best training plan,   so I picked a local one about 6 months out and ran that.   I've always been a decent swimming so while training I'd give my legs a break by just swimming for an hour or more.   A few people in my running group keep mentioning tri's since I was already doing 2 out of 3 things.    I ended up getting a bike and hanging it in my garage for a full year before riding and starting though.

I'm fortunate that in the dallas area there are many locals tri's each year and nearly a year long outdoor training season. 
I've done over a dozen sprints, three marathons, 3 or 4 half marathons, a couple of aquabikes & HIM, and IMKY.  I was signed up to do IMKY again last year when some weird illness hit me.   I just couldn't recover from a workout, I'd be fine while doing it, but it seemed that anything over 5hours a week, resulted in me sleeping and feeling like crap ola.    Some weird stuff for sure.   So that plan went out the window.   I've always been really active and taking that time off while great for my body, was horrible for my motivation. I discovered this thing called cable tv,  drinking with cute girls and carbs.  Needless to say I've gained some weight I really don't need. 

I'm signed up for semi local (4hr car ride) half Iron that I"ve done the past couple of years at the end of April, and one of the local race director has a special when you sign up early for four of their races at once it's a big discount,  so that will be two more sprints and two Oly this summer also.    I'll most likely do a few other local races and a fall half iron, unless I decided to sign up for the silverman full iron in vegas.

I work in the medical field with cancer patients.. I'm the radiation guy. 

lets see what else did people include. 

Oh I'm single age 43, one daughter that is going to be 22 in the spring and is off on her own now,   I have two large Labs that I used to run with but don't anymore, since when 200 lbs of dogs want to stop, it's like throwing an anchor out, since you stop

thanks for having me
2009-12-18 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2566474

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Boston Beginner - 2009-12-18 9:55 AM

aquagirl - 2009-12-18 9:53 AM

She ran in -18 degrees yesterday.  I don't care what country you live in, that's not normal

Ok...perhaps it was a wee bit chilly....but I was still smiling!!

2009-12-18 9:11 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
OK kids...I am off to the pool for a SLOW swimmy, primarily just to try and perfect my flip turns. Ugh. 
Oh....btw.....I am not actually aquagirl. More of a velogirl really. Marianne is DEFINITELY aqaugirl!!
2009-12-18 9:22 AM

Master
Metro NY Area
Name: Lisa

Family Status:  Domestic Partner and a cute little dog named Cooper.

Story: I was on a swim team when I was 9-11 and swam the longer distances in High School which were probably 100-400M. I used to run in my early 20's I ran 10Ks, Half Marathons, and one Marathon. I used to run about 50 miles a week in that period. I got injured with some calf and shin issues, started cycling for a few years after but eventually found myself on the couch.

I'm 51 now and in the years bewtween mid 20's to 50 life got in the way, I would sometimes bike, swim  walk, run a bit but never really got going. I ended up gaining over 100 lbs from where I was in my early 20s. In May of 2009 I signed up for a sprint for August. Got on the bike, joined the Y for the pool, started running a bit, just kept going and adding on to the point where I now usually do at least 2 workouts a day and usually workout 10-12 hours a week.

I have arthritis in my left knee, I am seeing a sports med Dr. about it and have had gel injections in that knee. Losing weight has made it better but it is the one thing that worries me and I have to be careful with running as I can easily injure the knee and that can be painful and interfere with my training.

Current Training: I swim at least 2x a week and have just started winter swim training with a local tri team, run 3-5x a week and cycle 3-5x a week. I have a bike on the trainer for the winter and have been doing spinervals. I also take pilates, aqua aerobics and a bootcamp training class. I just started doing CrossFit and I think I'll do that 2X a week. I am going to have a tri coach starting in January.

2009 Races: All sprints -Danskin SheRox Triathlon Philadelphia 8/2/09 (due to weather changed to a duathlon), Trek Women's Tri Mt Snow, VT 8/9/09, Trek Women's Tri Metro NY 9/13/09, Tri Fitness Tri 9/21/09 plus Greenwich Point 1 Miles OWS 7/18/09

2010 Races/Goals:  I'm moving up this year to Olympic and Half Ironman. First I'll travel to Florida for St. Anthony's Oly in late April, a possible sprint in late May, Rev 3 Oly in CT June 6th, and Timberman N.H. 70.3 August 22nd. I am also considering Mussleman Aquabike in July (HIM distance) and Tri Columbia Skipjack (1.2 Mile Swim , 64 Mile Bike, 10 Mile Run) in September and a half marathon (probably NYC) sometime late winter-early spring.

Weightloss: I lost 50 lbs. since March 2009 and hope to lose 50 more by sometime in 2010.

2009-12-18 9:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Good morning and nice to meet you all!

This will be a fantastic group lead by two wonderful mentors (from what I've read and been told).  I hope to be able to stick around and keep up with our group this time around.  The one thing that keeps standing in my way of sticking around is the incredible and ridiculous amount of time I spend writing decent posts and that is because French is my mother tongue, LOL!  It certainly makes things a bit challenging on the written English front.

This mentoring group will without a doubt be an excellent complement to my coach, my soon to be "real life" mentor (as opposed to virtual) and the triathlon club I belong to.

It took over 7 minutes to write that post and two edits... sigh...

Edited by Nats 2009-12-18 9:55 AM
2009-12-18 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2566525

Champion
the colony texas
I can dress for the weather fine when I'm running, but when I attempt to bike in the cold.  Remember cold for Texas is 40 something I screw it up..   I can never seem to get my legs warm enough,  How many layers do you cold weather people use for outdoor biking,
2009-12-18 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2566258

Uxbridge
Hey Kevin. Thanks for the list. Those of us who are technologically challenged thank you.

2009-12-18 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2566363

Uxbridge
Josh is a great guy too. He will meet up anytime and swim in frigid waters when no one else will!!! We are doing IMAZ together this year. Im sure it will be an unforgetable journey!!!
2009-12-18 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2566509

Uxbridge
Hey Duane. Have you tried swimming lessons as an adult? If you plan on doing tris, you might want to give it a try agin. The off season is a great time to start. Look and see if there is a local Masters swimming group in your area and see if you can jump in, alot of times they are pay as you go and its relatively inexpensive. A decent masters coach will help you get started.
2009-12-18 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2566514

Uxbridge
Wow Gary! Glad your health is better! Steroids are nasty. You have quite a schedule for this year. Glad you are here...as your mentor I will need all the help I can get doing my first IM!!!! LOL. We will light a fire under you...ummmm ...motivate you regularly!!!
2009-12-18 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2566525

Uxbridge

They have just announced a major Nor easter for this weekend. Nothing like being snow bound with gobs of food and 13 of your closest family members. Think I need to buy more alcohol!!!!!

Edited by mav 2009-12-18 11:01 AM
2009-12-18 11:03 AM

Uxbridge
Hey Lisa and Nats...good to see some of my fellow challenge peeps. 

2009-12-18 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2566888

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
mav - 2009-12-18 11:59 AM

They have just announced a major Nor easter for this weekend. Nothing like being snow bound with gobs of food and 13 of your closest family members. Think I need to buy more alcohol!!!!!

No kidding. It's likely to paralyze us here in Virginia...I second the call for more alcohol!
2009-12-18 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2566690

2009-12-18 2:25 PM

Master
Metro NY Area
I'm looking forward to a run in the fresh snow!
2009-12-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2567419

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
losta - 2009-12-18 3:25 PM

I'm looking forward to a run in the fresh snow!

The snow's headed this way, and all I'm looking forward to is making some mulled wine & staying inside.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76