General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2010-07-17 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2987397

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread
maggiemeans - 2010-07-17 6:52 PMpersonally it's got to be for the photographers.. right?

That's what the helmet number is for. The bib will be on my back with my number belt if it must be worn for the bike.

2010-07-17 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2574545

User image

New user
NYC
Good luck to all tomorrow, remember its a steep hill coming out of the bike out, so get your bike in the correct gear when you leave it in the transition area.
2010-07-17 8:01 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
It's go time! See you all bright and early. Have a great race.
2010-07-17 8:24 PM

New user

2010-07-17 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2987490

User image

New user
No, that chart is for Haverstraw, NY, which is a good ways upstream.  At Grant's tomb, the closest place to our race where data is available, the current will be slack about a half hour before the pros start.
2010-07-17 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
bib 564 in yellow

2010-07-18 7:06 PM

How'd you all do? It was a hot day and I saw too many athletes go down. Apparently 12 were hospitalized and it's not surprising given the conditions we were racing in. I hope everyone had a safe race today.

Even with the heat, I had the best race of my life. PR'ed by more than 10 minutes and did the swim in around 15 minutes, which is better than any swimming I've ever done (thanks current!!) This race is amazing and I can't wait to do it again next year, although it will be hard to beat this years race performance for me. I keep wondering if I skipped a part

Congrats to all who raced this one!
2010-07-18 9:25 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I had a good day as well. I didn't really feel like the heat was a factor for me. I PR'd this race by a little over a minute from two years ago and had a terrific bike split.

It really is a fun event. The logistics are kind of a headache and there are a LOT of people on the course, but it's worth it. I've got a guaranteed entry for next year, so I'll probably do it again.
2010-07-18 11:57 PM

User image

I had a pretty solid race all around.  Bike was a touch bit disappointing for me, but I had a good run, so I was pretty happy with that.

Full report with tons of pictures all here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/07/new-york-triathlon-2010-race-report.html
2010-07-19 5:35 AM
in reply to: #2988724

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-07-18 9:25 PM I had a good day as well. I didn't really feel like the heat was a factor for me. I PR'd this race by a little over a minute from two years ago and had a terrific bike split. It really is a fun event. The logistics are kind of a headache and there are a LOT of people on the course, but it's worth it. I've got a guaranteed entry for next year, so I'll probably do it again.

I'm glad you did well!  So its possible volunteer and do the race to get guaranteed entry?  I will try that for next year, or just volunteer if I don't get in.
2010-07-19 6:08 AM
in reply to: #2988882

User image

DC rainmaker ...   I heard the announcement for the extra goggles...

I definately exceeded my expectations for this race...

I did a sub 3 hour which made me feel like a superstar...
Swim .. freaking awesome.... beautiful... sun coming up...

also I totally messed up the garmin 310XT.
i was on the bike and it was showing i was running.... ARGH
so i just gave up on messing with it.  

DC rainmaker... can you expand on your speedfil bottle issues?  i have the profile aero bottle .. and i am not completely happy with it and am thinking of the speedfil... but i see you are having issues..

what system are you looking at now?

2010-07-19 6:27 AM

User image

N Y C
DC - Great photos and report...nice job!

I, too had a problem with my Garmin 305...it popped off and flew away at the bottom of the downhill after the uturn in the Bronx...I was going too fast and had too many people around me to stop. Costly, but could be an excuse to upgrade!?!

Re: Speedfill/Profile: Since I ride a roadbike and do not have aero bars, I made my own system for this race earlier in the week. I took an old Camelback (used for mountain biking many moons ago)...I cut the tube. I took my regular water bottle and removed a small piece of plastic under the nozzle and inserted the tube. 2 small zip ties (stem and bars) held the tube in place and I had a hydration system that allowed me to drink without reaching for bottles!

PR's this race (3rd yr)...2:42 and had my 6 & 8 yr olds run across the finish line with me.

I drank tons of fluids after the race...water, gatorade, muscle milk, samples, etc... I STILL lost approx 7lbs...it was hot!

2010-07-19 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Yes, if you volunteer, you get a guaranteed entry for the following year. If you sign up to be a “volunteer team leader”, you not only get a guaranteed entry, but your entry is free. It’s a great deal—it’s a little extra work, but it’s worth it for the $200+ race fee. I think I’m going to do what I did this year every year—be a tour guide on Saturday and then race on Sunday. I have to be at transition on Sat anyway.

I was in one of the early waves, so I didn’t notice it as much, but, for the people in the later waves, did you run into much over-crowding on the course? Last year it was a huge issue, and a lot of the frustration seemed to be directed at the Team in Training people, who tend to race as a group and were running or riding three or more abreast and at a somewhat leisurely pace. The RD said he was going to try to address it for this year.
2010-07-19 8:45 AM

User image

Kinnelon, NJ
An un-freaking-real race!  Loved every painful second of it!

This was my first tri of the season and I was not as prepared as I should be.  Couldn't find a rhythm during my swim, the bike went OK and I found myself walking a bunch during the run.  The run was much hillier than I had expected.  I really wanted to finish sub 3 hours and now, in hindsight, I would have if I didn't speed walk some sections.  Guess I gotta train on more hills!

Swim: 22:20
Bike: 1:22:16
Run: 1:09:13
Total: 3:03:11

Wishing a speedy recovery to all that went down!
2010-07-19 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2989265

I had to defer because of an injury and spent the morning volunteering at swim start instead. Anyone else who had to defer and is already thrilled about next year? I AM!!!

Congratulations to all who raced, and a speedy recovery to the athletes who were injured while competing.
2010-07-19 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
This was my first Oly, and I loved it. The bike course was the sweetest bike ride I've ever done. I didn't experience much bunching on the bike course other than a few instances of people drifting to the left and unintentionally blocking. But OMG the freakin heat on the run!! My body and energy level felt great on the run, but I'm a big guy and the heat really got to me so I ended up having to walk-run (run 2-min, walk 1 generally) in order to keep from getting dizzy/faint. At every water station I was dumping 1-2 cups of water down my head/back/chest and it felt great, but I'd be baking again about 30 seconds later. Still happy with my time though, and I beat my goal of 2:45 by 22 seconds! Report below.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217914

2010-07-19 10:06 AM

User image

Kinnelon, NJ
Congrats, tpero!
2010-07-19 10:26 AM

After my shift ended I went to 72nd St to cheer on the athletes. I saw several women with headphones on. Not only is that dangerous and a violation of USAT rules, it is also unfair. Music can provide a mental distraction as well as a pacing advantage. As a past NYC Tri racer and fellow triathlete, I have to say that I hope they got caught.
2010-07-19 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2989646

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Azania - 2010-07-19 10:26 AM

After my shift ended I went to 72nd St to cheer on the athletes. I saw several women with headphones on. Not only is that dangerous and a violation of USAT rules, it is also unfair. Music can provide a mental distraction as well as a pacing advantage. As a past NYC Tri racer and fellow triathlete, I have to say that I hope they got caught.

After I finished, as I was heading back to transition to pack up, I saw a number of people running along 72nd St. wearing headphones. I’m surprised someone didn’t say something to them coming out of transition.

OTOH, it’s a not-very-well-kept secret that this is a somewhat loosely officiated race, at least for Age-groupers. I’ve never seen or even heard of anyone getting a draft/block penalty in this race, in spite of the fact that there’s tons of drafting (intentional or otherwise) on the bike course. Headphones on the run are pretty common, I think. I also saw at least two or three people being paced by their coaches during the run course. The TnT coaches actually wear t-shirts that say “COACH” and jog alongside their athletes for long stretches of the course. Strictly speaking, I’m pretty sure that constitutes outside assistance and is illegal, but you’ll never see it enforced in this race. I don’t even know if there are course officials in the park, honestly. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one.
2010-07-19 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
2010-07-19 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2989729

Nice job, JMK! I am a fellow BTC member--maybe I'll see you at a club event sometime soon.

2010-07-19 11:28 AM

User image

Regular
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Just put up my report:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=218125

For those that are BTC members, I'm one too.  Usually make it to the tuesday bike and thursday brick (just not for the next week or so, busy traveling), on a bright green quintana roo.  Introduce yourself next time.

-matthew
2010-07-19 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2988976

User image

maggiemeans - 2010-07-19 7:08 AM DC rainmaker ...   I heard the announcement for the extra goggles...
DC rainmaker... can you expand on your speedfil bottle issues?  i have the profile aero bottle .. and i am not completely happy with it and am thinking of the speedfil... but i see you are having issues..

what system are you looking at now?

Actually, that annoucement wasn't me.  But that announcement DID cause me to realize I forgot mine.   I ended up just poking into a few groups of clustered people asking around.  Only took about 2 groups to find someone.

RE: Speedfil

My main issues are:

1) Straw length.  I can't seem to get it just right, it's either too long, or too short
2) Floppiness.  It's seemingly flopping around a lot.  It's as though the built-in cloths hanger thing isn't stiff enough. 
3) Removing the bottle.  It's a PITA compared to a regular bottle, not really designed to easily detach.  Detachable...sure, easily...no.
4) Bottom of barrel.  The straw seems to get itself in a position quite often where it curls up and then I can't get the last inch or two of water (6-8oz).  That's annoying.

Now, it's entirely possible I'm doing something horribly wrong.  But, to me, it just doesn't seem like it's worth all the hassles.  And, if ya know me - I'm pretty patient with things (heck, I've been dinking with this for three months now), so the end of the road has been reached.

Thanks, and good luck!
2010-07-19 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2989724

User image

jmk-brooklyn - 2010-07-19 11:52 AM
Azania - 2010-07-19 10:26 AM After my shift ended I went to 72nd St to cheer on the athletes. I saw several women with headphones on. Not only is that dangerous and a violation of USAT rules, it is also unfair. Music can provide a mental distraction as well as a pacing advantage. As a past NYC Tri racer and fellow triathlete, I have to say that I hope they got caught.
After I finished, as I was heading back to transition to pack up, I saw a number of people running along 72nd St. wearing headphones. I’m surprised someone didn’t say something to them coming out of transition. OTOH, it’s a not-very-well-kept secret that this is a somewhat loosely officiated race, at least for Age-groupers. I’ve never seen or even heard of anyone getting a draft/block penalty in this race, in spite of the fact that there’s tons of drafting (intentional or otherwise) on the bike course. Headphones on the run are pretty common, I think. I also saw at least two or three people being paced by their coaches during the run course. The TnT coaches actually wear t-shirts that say “COACH” and jog alongside their athletes for long stretches of the course. Strictly speaking, I’m pretty sure that constitutes outside assistance and is illegal, but you’ll never see it enforced in this race. I don’t even know if there are course officials in the park, honestly. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one.

They did at least give out a fair number of drafting penalties with the AG elites (craptons of them in fact) - for which I'm happy about.

I would agree though with AG's otherwise.  There's a very clear growing trend where RD's don't want to pay for USAT ref's to cover the full alotment of racers.  In fact, I know of a few specific very large races still to come this year where the RD's have communicated to USAT that they will only be covering 'Elites' for ref'ing on the bike, and not AG'ers.  Of course, this isn't communicated to all those others who also paid their race fees for a fair race (99% of the field).

Personally, I find that crappy.
2010-07-20 9:56 AM

I had a terrible race (unsurprising given that I didn't really train), but quick funny story - I appreciated and passed on the advice to let some air out of your tires on Saturday.  I made sure I got there early sunday and put air in then.  No problems (at least from the mechanical end) on the race.  Picked up my bike and rode it home to my non-air conditioned apartment.  Doing laundry, and all of a sudden I heard that "POP-hissssssssssssssssssssss."  Yep - my tire blew sitting right there in my apartment.  

But better than the day before!! 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica New York City Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8