General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-05 4:35 PM

Subject: HRM Training
Just got a new Heart Rate Monitor for Christmas, and as a new member to BT, I wanted to get some guidance on how to best put it to use.  I have been training for a while without the use of an HRM, simply going off of my percieved effort level, which, to tell you the truth, has been all out for most of my sessions.  In regard to this, if you could reccomend a good olympic distance training plan that incorporates the HRM, plus advice on how to go about training with a HRM that would be most helpful. 

2010-01-05 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2596124

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
Subject: RE: HRM Training
I personally don't train with my HRM. I do own a FR 305, but I don't "really use" the HR function of it though...

Oh, and welcome to BT!!!

Kevin
2010-01-05 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran

There are a number of resources on-line if you google "heart rate monitor training".  There is also a great book called "Heart Rate Monitor Training For The Compleat Idiot". 

It is harder to find a HRM-based triathlon program though.  I just purchased Mike Pigg's PC Coach software which is a heart rate based training program.  I'll post a review once I complete the program and run a race.

Heart Rate training works.  I've been a runner for 20 years and recently started a HR training.  In just a month, I've noticed some improvement.  In the past, I'd run hard most days, training to RPE or time.  I always felt sore and recovery seemed difficult.  That's just probably me always wanting to run fast.

Since I started this program, I don't feel sore...except after the tempo or speed workouts.

The hardest part of starting a HR program is learning to run slow.  When I started, I could only run a 11 min/mile while keeping my HR below 150.  A month later, I'm running a 9:30 min/mile with a HR below 150.  My normal 5k pace (now that I'm 41) is around 8 min/mile.  he other day, I ran a 2-mile tempo at around 7:30 min/mile.

You need to stick with the program...even if it initially feels too slow.  It will pay off later.

Ray

2010-01-05 8:35 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I would start with Mike Ricci's thread which is linked below.  Lots of good info to get you started with HR training.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

Shane
2010-01-05 8:40 PM

User image

Runner

OK, first thing you need to do is determine your Lactate Threshold.  The protocol is available on this site.

Once you do that, you can establish your training zones.

Now, to tackle some of the other, non HR specific issues I am seeing so far.

First and foremost, SLOW DOWN.  Here's a nice little mantra for you:

Train lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

You are new.  You need to build up your muscles and bones to take the pounding of running.  You do this by running as often as you can.  IN order to run as often as you can, you have to run nice and easy.  Easy does NOT mean "as hard as I can".  Easy means EASY.  I mean so easy you could talk to your best friend about your day easy.

Second thing, consistency.  I cannot stress this enough.  THe more consistent you are, the better you'll get.  Make it a habit.  Consistent training now pays dividends big time down the road.

Alright, that's good enough for now.  Start with that, and you'll be all good. 

2010-01-05 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
i started training off of heart rate a few months ago ang would have to go 12 min miles just to keep my hr at 155.  It was horrible very annoying and boring but it got better.  It gets alot better if you stick with it...  with my hr at 155 now, i can run at about an 8 min miles pace.  it gets better it just takes awhile to get use to it.  Traing plans for multisport athletes has most of the traiing off of hr zones.

2010-01-05 9:59 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Shane's advice + Scout's advice = a very good start. 

I would add (though no doubt this is somewhere in the thread that Shane mentioned) that you need to pay a lot of attention to how your HR is correlated to your pace, your condition that day (sleep, hydration, nutrition, etc.), and the weather.  This takes time.  I personally think it is worth doing, but if you aren't willing to pay that kind of attention over a longish period of time, I'm not convinced it is worth the trouble or wearing it.  Don't get me wrong -- it isn't rocket science; it just takes some diligence.
2010-01-06 12:18 AM
in reply to: #2596697

User image

Sensei
Sin City
good advice above...

Also, contrary to another post, there are plenty of HR based tri plans.  BT, in fact, has a LOT.  However, they can only be accessed through a membership for a nominal fee...

As mentioned, find your LT by field testing.  It will have to be done for biking and running if you want to apply them to triathlon.  They are different for each activity.  There is a calculator in your training logs that will help you determine your training zones for each sport.

As for volumes, you will want to do mostly easier stuff (zone 2).  I would say at least 60% of you total workout time per week should be dedicated to this effort.

30% in Zone 3 (which is still pretty easy and well below your 10k race effort)

and only 10% in Zone 4 or higher.

These percentages are not gospel, but a lot of plans and workout advice that I have seen put them there.  I pulled these from a book called "Training Lactate/Pulse-Rate" by Janssen (it's an old book, but still seems relevant to me and are applied to a cyclist.  Obviously, if you were a 100 meter sprinter, they may break up differently.

Good luck and enjoy the learning process.  Also, it could be easy to do, but don't become a "slave" to you HRM.  It's a tool to use, but you have the ability to overide base on how you feel (BUT, try not to err on the side of going HARDER than it's telling you).  Many times, I use my HRM to tell my to slow down as I tend to go a little too hard a lot of the time.
2010-01-06 11:17 AM

Thanks for all the advise.  I have found it really helpful, and am pumped to get going on this.  As I'm sure you can all relate, I raced my first tri (sprint) last summer, placing 2nd in my agegroup (25-29s), and I am now hooked.  All I want to do now is get better and faster, and I think that your advise will allow me to do this, so thanks.

Andy
2010-01-06 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2597814

New user
andrewkmorrison - 2010-01-06 12:17 PM I raced my first tri (sprint) last summer, placing 2nd in my agegroup (25-29s).

Andy

You suck!Laughing

2010-01-06 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I'll be making the transition to HR based training this season. I just ordered a Forerunner 305 so we'll see how it goes.

2010-01-06 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2596533

User image

Elite
Miami
rjp7204 - 2010-01-05 8:21 PM

There are a number of resources on-line if you google "heart rate monitor training".  There is also a great book called "Heart Rate Monitor Training For The Compleat Idiot". 

It is harder to find a HRM-based triathlon program though.  I just purchased Mike Pigg's PC Coach software which is a heart rate based training program.  I'll post a review once I complete the program and run a race.

Heart Rate training works.  I've been a runner for 20 years and recently started a HR training.  In just a month, I've noticed some improvement.  In the past, I'd run hard most days, training to RPE or time.  I always felt sore and recovery seemed difficult.  That's just probably me always wanting to run fast.

Since I started this program, I don't feel sore...except after the tempo or speed workouts.

The hardest part of starting a HR program is learning to run slow.  When I started, I could only run a 11 min/mile while keeping my HR below 150.  A month later, I'm running a 9:30 min/mile with a HR below 150.  My normal 5k pace (now that I'm 41) is around 8 min/mile.  he other day, I ran a 2-mile tempo at around 7:30 min/mile.

You need to stick with the program...even if it initially feels too slow.  It will pay off later.

Ray

just FYI, there are alot of posts here about HRM training.  Also lots of plans on here that use HRM zones.  both free and paid.  I have used 16 week olympic with HR zone, 12 week HIM with HR zones, now 12 week oly with HR zones.

150 bpm number is arbitrary.  for me 150 means 8:30 pace.  its mid z2.  unless you have done a proper lt test its just a number.

Edited by trix 2010-01-06 1:42 PM
2010-01-06 1:47 PM

Another question I had was regarding my new HRM.  Does/has anyone use(d) the Polar FT40?  If so, is it any good?
Thakns again,
Andy

2010-01-06 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2598254

User image

Veteran
trix - 2010-01-06 12:41 PM
rjp7204 - 2010-01-05 8:21 PM

Ray

just FYI, there are alot of posts here about HRM training.  Also lots of plans on here that use HRM zones.  both free and paid.  I have used 16 week olympic with HR zone, 12 week HIM with HR zones, now 12 week oly with HR zones.

150 bpm number is arbitrary.  for me 150 means 8:30 pace.  its mid z2.  unless you have done a proper lt test its just a number.

Actually, the  150bpm number is not arbitrary..for me.  That is the top end of my zone 2.  It will obviously be different for others.

Also, I probably misspoke when I said triathlon HR programs were difficult to find.  There are quite a few out there.  It was just difficult to find one that suited me.

Ray
2010-01-06 10:56 PM
in reply to: #2599050

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
rjp7204 - 2010-01-06 9:10 PM

Actually, the  150bpm number is not arbitrary..for me.  That is the top end of my zone 2.  It will obviously be different for others.

Also, I probably misspoke when I said triathlon HR programs were difficult to find.  There are quite a few out there.  It was just difficult to find one that suited me.

Why don't they suit you?

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM Training Rss Feed