Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-06-16 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2604136

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Knee Rehab Thread
I am 20 weeks post op as of yesterday. :-)

I am moving along fairly well now...I only need the cane when I'm walking longer distances or on my feet for a long time. I am aware of the fracture site most of the time, but true pain is infrequent, and not overly intense. Much like a stress fracture.

I ride on the trainer for 60 minutes 6-7 days a week. 2-3 dpw I also get in 30-45 minutes on the elliptical. The other 2-3 days I do 15 minutes on the ET before PT.

I am hoping to get clearance to ride outside by July. I can't see why it would be a problem.

2010-06-18 8:58 AM

I just joined as this looks like a good forum to share experiences in knee rehab with other athletes.  I am 52 years old and mainly a long distance runner (3:20-3:30 marathon runner).   In February, I has surgery on my right knee (lateral release and knee scoped) to correct a patella tracking problem. There were no complications from surgery. It was 20 minute procedure. I started PT the next week and after 8 weeks, my right quads were the same strength of my left quads.  At that time I was told I could start some light running.  After 11 weeks, I was released by the doctor.   I noticed when I ran that I had to change my gait slightly.  I got to the point where I could run about 2 miles with no knee pain and after that I would start to feel some pain.  At first, I would stop, but later I got to the point where I could run through the pain and complete a 5 mile run.  I thought that was progress and after each run I ice the knee even though there is no swelling.

I have been running every 2-3 days five miles now for about six weeks (and ran a little longer each of the last two weekends) and there has been no improvement.  After running it is painful going up and down stairs (which I have alot of in my house!).  I continue to do the quad and calf strengthening exercises, but any type of squat is particularly painful. I am beginning to wonder if I should have done the surgery or if this is just part of the healing process for a lateral release.

I have a follow-up doctor's appointment on Monday, but would be interested in hearing about other runners and triathlete's experiences and suggestions for this type of sugery and recovery.

2010-07-01 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
I had my mircofracture last December(12/8/09) on the right knee.  (Had same on left knee in 2002).  This one was on a weight bearing surface, so crutches for 6 weeks, and no running for 6 months. 

Did my first race of the season last Sunday, the Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon (375 swim, 1.5 run, 20K bike, 1.5 run, 375 swim) in NC.  Got in about 10 runs since the release date, I've been back riding and swimming for 4 months.  Placed 4th in my AG, was able to run 8:30's.  Pre surgery knee would have placed me 2nd AG. 

I have to say I can't complain!  It hurts a little bit in training (haven't run more than 3 miles at a time), but the adreneline during the race kept all pain away. 

Oh... and we found out that the Friday before the race a 5 foot Bull Shark attacked a young girl on a beach just a wee bit away.Surprised  Glad I didn't know about THAT!!
2010-07-06 3:13 PM

User image

Regular
Vienna, VA

I'm 8 months out now after my 2nd repair of my left knee. Been slowly rebuilding my power on the bike, but as you can see from the attached graph, my 2010 power (dotted line) is considerably below my 2009 season power. This has translated to a considerably slower bike time/average speed, which is demoralizing at times.

I have moments of twinges of pain, which is making me back off, but I keep pushing through.

Of course, it doesn't help that I've gained 15# over my Placid weight ...

My next event is an Oly the beginning of September. I averaged just under 20 mph three years ago, so we'll see if I can meet/beat that goal.

(MeanMaximalCurve-10JUL06.gif)

Attachments
----------------
MeanMaximalCurve-10JUL06.gif (64KB - 30 downloads)
2010-07-07 7:12 AM

I haven't posted here in a few months. Sadly physio didn't work for my torn meniscus and I'm still symptomatic. Pretty tough to hear from your doc that physio will just not work especially after 4-5 months of hard work at it. There was improvement but not enough to get me back running.

Went for an MRI yesterday and was told I'll need to get an arthroscopy. I'm waiting to hear back on the results and I should find out then if a repair is possible, or if not, how much they are going to have to remove. Anxious times ahead Frown
2010-07-08 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Hey guys... have no clue how many weeks post-op now (maybe 16-20?) but finally back running.  Did 6 miles the other day followed up by a 25 mile ride the next day.

It's getting better!  A real turning point.

Wife and I signed up for a HIM in Oct.  No pressure...

2010-07-09 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I am at about 23 weeks post op. I have been riding on the trainer every day for an hour, and then at lunch I either do the ET for 45-60 minutes or walk for an hour (but have limited it to an hour).

I had a visit with my surgeon this week, and now have clearance to ditch the cane permanently! I am cleared to walk for fitness as long as I want (obviously working up to it), and CAN BEGIN RIDING OUTSIDE AGAIN! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Surgeon said I could even TRY running a little by month 8 (september)--but PT wants me to wait until 1 year, which I will try and do.
2010-07-09 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2970494

User image

Regular
Vienna, VA
Awesome news!
2010-08-04 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Question for all you knee surgery veterans - General, local or spinal anestesia for an orthoscopic meniscus surgery?

I'm thinking local so I can get out of there faster after the surgery, what say you?
2010-08-04 10:16 AM

User image

Regular
Vienna, VA
I've had two scopings on my left knee. Both were done under general. Morning procedures on both, I was out of recovery and home by mid afternoon. I slept most of the remainder of the day on both surgeries. In both my scopings/repairs cartilage, the meniscus, and some tendons had to be trimmed and removed due to tears. Because they drain/clean the area the natural fluids of your knee, those which provide lubrication, are all but removed during the procedures.

Day 0 return home found me sleeping, which my rehab coach/anesthesiologist (an Ironman himself) indicated was the best place for any athlete to be. The first full day after the surgery was fine, and I was actually walking/hobbling on the leg. I felt great. I was to later find out that the docs pack the knee with fluids, and it was full Day 2 that pain set in, e.g., the fluids were absorbed by my body and there was very little I could do about it. Think bone-on-bone and you'll get an idea of what the knee is going through after a draining. It takes the body 1-4 weeks to replace the fluids in the knee once they are drained.

Point here is that I don't think it matters if you have a spinal, local, or general in terms of speedy recovery. You will need to rest either way, and the lack of fluids on your knee will drive what you can and cannot do. I probably made my recovery longer after the first surgery because I was anxious to get out and "rehab" -- the knee wasn't ready for it. I took my rehab coach's advise on the second surgery/recovery period and ran Lake Placid Ironman 9 months later.

Everybody is different, but I think it matters more how fit you are going into the surgery than how fast you come out of the surgery with guns blazing.

Good luck!

pgd

2010-08-04 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3022797

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
ratherbesnowboarding - 2010-08-04 10:02 AM Question for all you knee surgery veterans - General, local or spinal anestesia for an orthoscopic meniscus surgery?

I'm thinking local so I can get out of there faster after the surgery, what say you?

Well, in terms of returning to training or going home after the procedure, both types of anesthetic are about the same.

How you FEEL when you go home is another story...

For my first several surgeries, I had general (surgeon's choice); for my last two scopes and my osteotomy, I went local/spinal. With the osteotomy, I had a sedative and a nerve block as well, due to the length of the procedure. I remained awake and alert for the scopes.

I will NEVER have another general, unless it is medically required. The local is so much better, IMO. Less nausea, grogginess, disorientation, etc. Even with the sedation--it's more like waking up from a nice nap, as opposed to a three-day bender.

2010-08-05 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Wow am I glad I looked in here!!!

I am 3.5 weeks post-op. ACL hamstring graft. 2/3 meniscus removal, 40% medial tear, bla bla bla my knee was bad. I have been doing PT since day 5 post op full weight bearing by 9 days. According to my PT my DR is "Very PROGRESSIVE". I already have my custom brace and I am at 135 degrees, 6 degrees hyper. This as I enter the dreaded "weakest time" of post op. I am sore, swollen, but sure happy to be out of that one size fits none brace. my incisions are still tender to the touch but healing well. I will offer some advice.

1. If your insurance will pay, get the cooler/ice sleeve. that thing is amazing!
2. DO NOT RIDE YOUR BIKE TO PT.. my PT was outraged.. hahahah ooops.

Thanks for all the advice and to see people back at it. This has been a long road and suppose it is going to be longer.
2010-08-09 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
OK Im Back - (BTW when I said shorter recover time, I meant waking up and getting out of the OR recovery room faster - not rehabing faster. Sorry for not being clearer)

I went w/ the local w/ a little Valium mixed in the IV.  Slept through the whole thing. I was woken up about an hour after I went into surgery.  The first day back was fine.  I was even able to put some weight on it.

Day 2.  I was OK until 2pm or so. I started feeling a little pain in the knee and was a little nauseous.  I took a pain pill (perk) and felt pretty good.  About 8pm, I started feeling the pain, nausea and a little dizziness.  So I thought I would take a pill after dinner.  About 4 or 5 bites, I became very nauseous, dizzy and almost passed out (vision blacked out to about the diameter of a quarter 2 feet away from me.  I also started sweating profusely.  I went to the ER and after a bunch of tests - inconclusive.  Maybe dehydrated and could be a reaction to the surgery.  I was told to take it easy which I had been doing.

The next two days, I would start to feel a little throbbing in the knee and nausea would start up.  I would take a pill and the pain and nausea would go away. 

I am walking w/o assistance and can walk up stairs 'normally'.  I start rehab today and have a lot of motion in my knee.  the nausea though is still a concern to me.  I called both my doc and my surgeon this am and as of 2:15 they have not called me back so I guess I shouldnt worry to much.

And I agree about the cryocuff (cooler thingy)  One of the greatest inventions that I wish I had though of.. Seems so simple in retrospect.  I mean, the water is always cold when you dump it out of the cooler so why not bag it.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2010-08-09 1:19 PM
2010-08-11 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Checking back in here.

I played golf again this weekend and the knee swelling is back and funny feeling inside my knee has returned. 

I dont play many rounds a year but do like playing with my brothers & son. I guess I will just put up the post golf knee issues.

Kevin

Edited by b2673ad 2010-08-11 11:46 AM
2010-08-16 8:31 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
29 weeks post op!

Thought I'd post an update. On June 30th, doc and PT gave me clearance to resume all my "normal" activities (assuming I ramped up to them). That included returning to running--although I have not yet done much else than a bit of run-walking (run 1 minute, walk 4, repeat a few times).

The leg felt fine for the run/walk...the 2nd fracture still aches a bit, but doc said that would happen. Lately, though, I've decided to give it another month or two, just to let it further heal. I'm in no hurry. Assuming all is still well, I will probably resume the run/walk progression in October.

Meanwhile... I've been keeping as active as I can. I'm doing a 40 mile MTB race (Cheq Fat Tire) in September, so have been on a crash course (er, metaphorically speaking) to get SOME bike fitness back. Typically, I ride an hour, to an hour and a quarter in the AM on the trainer. Then lunch time is either a 4-6 mile walk, or an hour on the elliptical. Evenings, I try and ride an hour to two hours on the MTB. This week, my "long" day was 1:15 on the trainer, a 5 mile walk at lunch, and then 2:15 on the MTB (in the 98 degree, 75% humidity... :p). I've done up to 3:15 long ride on the MTB.

The knee (the bad part) feels fine. Better than it has in years, in fact. The "good" side gets kind of achy, but that adjustment will fade, I think. I'd put that leg at about 60% capacity. Weaker, and smaller...but it will come back eventually. I am missing a few degrees of ROM at either end. The flexion is not new...but the extension is. Again, though, that will come back, too. Esp. when my PT gets back form maternity leave, and I can let her crank on it.

The only pain I really have, aside from a sort of dull ache in the 2nd fracture from time to time, is more of an "irritation" than a pain... the IT band and muscle over the plate get really tight, and a lot of times (esp. during out of the saddle climbs or serious pedal mashing) I can feel it all snapping over the plate. Disconcerting, and oddly irritating, but not "painful" per se.

2011-04-25 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2768458

New user

Thanks for your info.  I am getting debradement and maybe meniscus repair on Monday.  Prepared for a couple weeks no big deal and got the call from the nurse that I need to prepare for 6-8 weeks no weight on knee.  Yikes..

You've really settled me down and made me think okay this is the situation you'll have a knee that will not give out on you so chill.  I just came back from Vail and I could have blew the whole thing out.  I am planning on doing abs and arms for the full weeks and then getting in the pool when I can like you are.  Focusing on strong core.

I am a newby to triathlete stuff.  I am a powder hound who took up cycling to cross train for skiing.  I'm looking forward to it.  Did the compu trainer  stuff this winter and wow it's intense.

Scary looking xrays...

2011-04-29 12:00 AM

You should take advise form your doc.

get flat stomach

2011-05-19 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI

Hi all!  Glad to have found this thread.  I just found out I have a loose body running around in my knee (that explains the wandering pains!) along with early signs of arthritis.  The good doc wants to scope my knee to get the chunk out of there and slow the progression of arthritis and possibly do a bit of clean-up in there.  I'm looking at doing this in August so it doesn't interfere with my wedding.

It sounds like a fairly minor procedure.  Has anyone else had this done and if so, what was your recovery like?  Sent home with crutches?  Ice all day?  My fiancee is trying to tell me she walked around that day, which seems a bit hard to believe, but what do I know?

2011-05-19 9:19 PM

New user

I was wondering when your wedding date was...... 

Okay so it's been three weeks post op...Call me hop along.  I am three weeks into a love affair with a huge long leg brace that I have to wear 24/7 for 6 weeks.

I thought it was a simple removal of cartilage but when he got in there he found arthritus and a whole bunch of menicus that had been shedded to the back of my knee..LUCKILY!!  He cleaned it  out gave me a new knee.  But it's all about location.  If the damage had been directly under the weight bearing section of my leg, I would have been non weight bearing for 6 months to a year  They did a little thing which I call seeding which causes the cartilage to grow by boring holes in your bones causing blood clots and new tissue to form.  You do not want to bother or injure the seedlings so you stay off of it.   

What I thought was an up and around the next day was- no you'll be rehabbing maybe in 6 weeks. 3 months out for hard core anything that is I let you.  The doctor is being very grumpy with me.  Because he knows I can be hard to keep in bed.  

Three weeks out and I am doing arm work and  abs.  I was given a CPM machine to work my knee and I use it after a hard day of walking like a natzi.  Watch the calories..I am eating lot's of vegies and tons of water.

Keep your wounds clean with alcohol only and change tha bandages.  I got a mild infection and could have prevented it.  You don't want any scaring on your knee for the honeymoon.  

The point is...Maybe get in there sooner than later just in case you need some extra time to do TLC to the knee.

2011-05-20 5:47 AM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI

oooo, thanks for that info.  did you have an mri prior to surgery?  I did, so I'm hoping they have a good idea of everything floating around in there.

The wedding is on Cape Cod June 28, then the Michigan party is August 20, so I am hoping to get in right after that.  I am not sure when this happened, as I can't think of any injury I sustained, so it may have been in there a while.  I can't imagine waiting another 2 months is going to make things all that much worse.  I've cut WAY down on running and biking for now.

It sounds like you had quite a long day in surgery!

2011-05-20 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3508095

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
gir1with1nose - 2011-05-19 10:44 AM

Hi all!  Glad to have found this thread.  I just found out I have a loose body running around in my knee (that explains the wandering pains!) along with early signs of arthritis.  The good doc wants to scope my knee to get the chunk out of there and slow the progression of arthritis and possibly do a bit of clean-up in there.  I'm looking at doing this in August so it doesn't interfere with my wedding.

It sounds like a fairly minor procedure.  Has anyone else had this done and if so, what was your recovery like?  Sent home with crutches?  Ice all day?  My fiancee is trying to tell me she walked around that day, which seems a bit hard to believe, but what do I know?

Assuming that's all they do (a cleanout), yeah...you'll walk out, most likely. If they do any drilling or something like that, it may be more involved.

2011-05-20 1:47 PM

New user

On the MRI it looked like a simple in and out.  Take the piece out and go.   When he got in there it was completely different.  It took only about an hour. Now I told him I wanted a knee to with stand heavy duty sports stuff so he was trying to deliver.   I am thrilled to tell you the truth.  I have a brand new knee basically and I caught it before I did something stupid like I always do trying to train harder or ski a bit out of control.

I'd plan for the worst and expect the best.  Either way we are living in great times for knee surgery..  Most knee injuries these days are not season ending.  

You have plenty of time either way.  

I am walking around with a big honking cast like thing but it's fun and it get's lot's of attention and laughs.  It's not all bad.  Painting my nails is bad.  Can't reach the big toe!!!  LOL   

2012-06-09 11:13 PM

O.K....I have been a runner for 36 years and have battled thru more than my share of injuries. Just a few days after my 60th birthday, my lateral meniscus snapped in half. I had surgery on April 2nd to clean up around the meniscus tear (40% gone now) and had chondroplasty of my kneecap and the tibial and femur bones. Been rehabbing hard for two weeks and have two more to go. I am now 10 weeks post surgery, and can bike comfortably and do most any weight work at the gym, but when i have tried to even jog walk a bit, the knee is achy and unhappy. does anyone have an idea of how long it takes before you can weight bear enough to start to jog a bit?  thanks....tom
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Rehab Thread Rss Feed  

of 6