General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Different strokes for different folks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-11 10:32 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Different strokes for different folks?
I'm up to 700 yards in the pool (as of Dec 15th, I hadn't actually swam to get from point A to point B since I was a kid... and 100 yards was tough!).  The only stroke that I've been doing is freestyle.  Now that I'm going a little farther, the thought occurred to me that practicing one stroke may not be best. So...

1.  Any suggestions for a second stroke to practice?
2.  Do people do tri's with only one stroke?  (Oly or HIM)

Thanks!

2010-01-11 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2608944

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Different strokes for different folks?
threeguitars - 2010-01-12 12:32

1.  Any suggestions for a second stroke to practice?
2.  Do people do tri's with only one stroke?  (Oly or HIM)

Thanks!

Yup and yup. After enough training you will be able to free the whole thing and feel really great in the water. On the other hand, many people, particularly early in their tri career or as they tackle longer distances, will have to switch strokes as they get muscle fatigue. Most commonly I see the breast stroke or side stroke, and now at the end of my tri career I do several stretches of the side stroke as I fatigue. So be comfortable with a second stroke but train as much as you can on the free so you won't need the second stroke. If that makes any sense!     
2010-01-12 6:20 AM

User image

Expert
Another thing to be careful of is a lot of swimmers end up with shoulder injuries from doing too much free.  I usually do free for my warm-up and all of the sets then half of my cool down, but I always make sure I do a bit of breast stroke and back crawl in my cooldown to stretch out the shoulders.  you should also be stretching you shoulders and pecs at the end of every swim.

FWIW, I would think that there are a lot of people in shorter distance races that do some of the other strokes, but by the time you get to a him, I think you should be comfortable doing the whole thing front crawl.  just imo.
2010-01-13 8:24 AM

New user
I would learn the breast and side strokes next.  Gives variation, protects the shoulders some, and if you get leg cramps, panic or fatigue during an OWS, its nice to have those two for a possible go to when free is tough.

My coach has had me work on all four strokes of the IM Fly, back, breast and free.  It helps with protecting the shoulders and I get a really good workout on days that the IM strokes are thrown in (It is also due to being weak in the other three strokes.  It feels like I'm starting my swim training again).
2010-01-13 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
I second the side stroke.  Great backup if you get tired or get knocked out of rhythm and need some time to get yourself back into it. 
2010-01-13 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2611884

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Probably can't  hurt to be efficient with breast stroke in case the water is super choppy and you need to stop and sight.

Some say doing some back stroke will balance the work done with chest muscles and back muscles.  I would agree.

Some say leaning all makes you a well rounded swimmer and more comfotable in the water.  I would also agree.

But honestly, I probably do 99% of my swimming as free, and/or freestyle drills.

I swim any race freestyle 100% of the time.  Period.

2010-01-13 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Just a quick note for those doing other strokes.  Try not to do them (particularly breast stroke) at turns.  It takes up a lot of room and turns are already congested.

I agree with Kiddo - 99% of my swimming is free, 100 percent in races, if I need to site big time (I usually take a quick look every 3 or 4 breaths), I do head up front crawl.
2010-02-25 9:01 PM

hey man I am technically a Clydesdale at 225ish but i have been a competitive swimmer for most of my life. the most key part for attaining any type of speed is feel for the water and your stroke. Personally when I was in Division 1 swimming shape i was still around 210 not skinny by any means. On the topic of learning a different stroke, i wouldn't recommend it especially if you are doing a swim less than a mile. for training start with some basic lap swimming try 1000 - 2000 yard/ meters a session working in a combination of straight swimming and some kicking (kick board no fins) to work on leg strength and endurance. after you start to become a little more comfortable start working on some interval sets. always start with a long warm up to stretch your muscles. as for sets try doing 5x100s on lets say 2 minutes if that is to easy try 1:45. as you get better try doing 10x 100s on 1:30 then moving up to longer distances. Personally i am completely out of shape(for me) and i can still manage 10x 200s on 2:30 . the key is to keep working at it until your muscles get used to the direction that swimming puts them in. Being in shape and being in swimming shape are two completely different things.
2010-02-25 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2694355

Lancaster
triswimmer8 - 2010-02-25 10:01 PM  Being in shape and being in swimming shape are two completely different things.

Absolutely.  You can take a marathon runner and put them in a pool and if they are not a swimmer, they will be gassed in no time regardless of how cardio fit they are for running.  I was a competitive swimmer years ago and my buddy was all state in cross country.  He thought he would do swimming in the winter to stay in shape and he was puking 10 minutes into the first practice.
2010-02-26 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
Along with most of the other posters, my swim is primarily free-style (front crawl)...100% in tris unless I get tired/kicked in the face.

Please keep in mind that swimming in a pool vs swimming in open water are two VERY different creatures.  And you will see just about anything at a tri (though most will be doing front crawl...the guy whose doing butterfly is going to get his butt kicked...j/k).  At one of my first tris, I resorted to doggie paddle...a mixture of anxiety and severe chop limited my visibility (my goggles fogged up something fierce.)  I do not recommend this AT ALL, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Different strokes for different folks? Rss Feed