3M Half Marathon & Relay
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 42s
Overall Rank = ?/4256
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 114/160
Pre-race routine:

Woke-up at 5:15am to eat some oatmeal and banana and some coffee. Got to the start in plenty of time to park, get all equipment ready and walk around before waiting in line for the porta potty. At the start line 10 minutes before anticipated start.
Event warmup:

Some light running, more to keep warm than to warm-up.
Run
  • 2h 25m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The race was delayed over an hour due to the high winds knocking down barricades on the course. The City would not grant the race permission to start until the course was fixed. So, we all stood around and tried to huddle to stay warm. I sat down for awhile and then walked around looking for people that I knew. I didn't see ANYONE I knew before the race. Once the run started I was able to warm-up nicely and took off my throw down sweat shirt before mile 3. I was going into this race with very little training and absolutely no expectations other than to finish. I had no idea how I would feel or how to approach the pacing so I just ran what felt comfortable (about 11:00/mile) I felt remarkably good the first 6 miles. I went 1:07:46 through the first 10k and thought I could maintain this pace the whole way if the wheels don't come off. I did a gel at miles 4, 8 and 10 and drank water through each aid station. I should have carried a water bottle since there were water stations every 2 miles and I had times where I was thirsty. No issues with nutrition or hydration other than feeling a little thirsty at times. I had one stretch (between mile 10-12) were I didn't feel so good and slowed down a little but I picked it up on some nice downhills going into campus and towards the finish line. Overall a half decent run and it just proves the point that you have to train for a race if you keep a decent base. It's all mental to a certain point.
What would you do differently?:

Train
Post race
Warm down:

Some light stretching before getting in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and genetics

Event comments:

I have done 3M four times now. I like the course and the size of the race. It is definitely a low end race as far as all the extras that can go into these types of events. Also, the medals and post race organization suck compared to other races. But, it's a home town run and it's an easy course. So, I'll do it again next year. How knows, maybe next year I will have trained for it!

Last updated: 2009-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:25:42 | 13.1 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 114/160
Overall: 0/4256
Performance: Average
I have heartrate data on my Timex watch but since I didn't wear a monitor, I am assuming it's from the people I ran next too:)
Course: Mostly downhill with some rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-01-25 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: 3M Half Marathon

2010-01-26 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2633814

User image

Subject: RE: 3M Half Marathon
Great run considering your new training plan. Just think how awesome you'll do next year with some training.
2010-01-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2633814

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: 3M Half Marathon
Good job on the running given the low (nonexistent?) training volume. Standing around for an hour-plus in the cold is a bummer for sure.

I think I've detected the flaw in your race strategy: You're taking too long to run between aid stations. If you were to speed up some; it wouldn't take as long to go from one to the next and you wouldn't get as thirsty. Just saying...

Also; snagging other people's heatbeats; that's just wrong.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3M Half Marathon Rss Feed