Sunny
Total Time = 13h 15m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Bathroom, diet coke and a bit to eat :)
Event warmup:

Warming up with the other runners in a tent:)
Run
  • 13h 15m
  • 50 miles
  • 15m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Great event to do a 50 miler. Consisted of 3 ~16.6 mile loops through a state park. The weather was pretty perfect although I would have liked it to be a tad warmer but at least no winds! First loop was great and I was feeling great, second loop I mindfully backed off a little and made sure to walk any inclines to start saving myself. By the third loop I felt like my feet were gone with about ten miles left. Every step from mile 40 on hurt really really bad! After resting now, I think I sprained my right foot which is blue and very swollen! Lost two toe nails but minor blistering. The course was very nice although somehow the small hills seemed like mountains at the end and the roots felt like I was in a creepy cartoon and they were trying to attack me! Aid stations were TOP NOTCH with great support which is much needed on a 50 miler! I had my Garmin to keep my company for the first 40 miles-it was my very first time using it and I loved it! I just wish it held a charge longer!!! But then I lost daylight and I became emotional and wanted to quit moving. I stopped several times and bent over wishing I could transplant myself to the finish line. I also had to go pee really bad...so I just peed right on the trail-no going off the trail in darkness!! I felt like eyes were watching me and the forrest was loud with beautiful sounds of nature-I just wish my light had been better. I could see a tiny circle in front of me and therefore it made me tense up with every step wondering if I would stump my toes or step in a mudhole. I did both many many times. THe last aid station was 4.4 miles to the finish and it felt like 10 miles. I couldn't run, no adrenaline surge or anything came to me at all. I was hobbling like a penguin. I wished the 100 milers headed back out good luck-yikes! Finally, I smelled them...port-o-cans!!! I was never so happy to wiff those suckers! The finish line was near-I could smell it=literally! I stumbled across and fell into my husband's arms (who finished in 9 hours and had to wait for me for 4 hours!!) It was a great feeling though. I feel pretty good two days out now but think my foot is sprained and my knees are pretty sore but that's the price and it was worth it! I love trail running-I may get kicked off here...it's funny bc I am not a great runner but I love long distance running-just you and the ground and distances to cover...
What would you do differently?:

Ummm, nothing...running a very intense 50k four weeks prior didn't give me a huge base bc I was recovering but I am pretty happy with my finish-wanted to do it in 12 hours but being my first time on the course and first time on my feet that long....I will cherish it!
Post race
Warm down:

Sitting next to 100 milers getting blisters popped and feet ducked tape and being thankful to be done with my journey and in awe of them!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Red toe nail polish-:)

Event comments:

www.tejastrails.com puts on amazing events in Texas! If you are looking for a well supported event then I highly recommend one of their races! Between my husband and I we have run 4 or 5 now and they have it down pat!

Last updated: 2010-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
13:15:00 | 50 miles | 15m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Nice trail through Huntsville state park, some sandy parts, several 'bridges', mud from recent rain, slight hills and lots of roots :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-02-08 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Rocky Raccoon Trail Run - 50 Mile

2010-02-10 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2662333

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-02-10 7:46 AM

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Rocky Raccoon Trail Run - 50 Mile
Way to go and hanging in there until the finish! I know first-hand that it's not easy when everything is hurting.

Every trail race you complete gives you that much more experience for the next one.

Well done.
2010-02-10 8:48 AM

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Rocky Raccoon Trail Run - 50 Mile
AWESOME!  So you gonna rock the 100 next year?;-)?
2010-02-10 9:38 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rocky Raccoon Trail Run - 50 Mile Rss Feed