Capri/Reebok
81F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 48s
Overall Rank = 532/1672
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 94/289
Pre-race routine:

Up bright and early at 4:00am. Had a bowl of rice chex and a bananas before leaving the house. Ate a goo about 30-35 minutes begore my wave start.
Event warmup:

5 to 7 minute swim on race course and a quick barefoot run to transition to get my goo before the transition closed. Some light stretching before my swim started.
Swim
  • 13m 25s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started the race in the middle of the pack near the left hand sided, probably about the fourth or fifth row back. I believe I would have been better off starting in row two or three as in the first 200m I had a bit of trouble getting around the others in my wave. I actually had to stop swimming and look for a clear path. Despite all this I was quite happy with my first open water swim.

I am also questioning my time a bit. I used my iron man watch to time the event and everyone of my other splits matches (within a few seconds) of the official times. However, my official swim time is about 1:30-1:45 slower than what I had on my watch. I know I hit the start when the buzzer sounded or slightly (within 5 seconds) after so I have no idea what cause this discrepancy.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front of the pack.
Transition 1
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

There is about a .25 mile run between the swim ends and the transition area begins.

I am stilling having a bit of issue clipping in on my right foot so I was a bit slow from the mount line. I am also not the most graceful bike mounter.

Practice Practice Pratice so that the bike mount goes smoother. I also need to invest in bike shoes that do not tie (maybe next year).
Bike
  • 48m 10s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride felt great. I think it was a good mix of "active" recovery and racing I needed between the swim and run.

Need to pratice shifting my front gears. A while back (while on the trainer) I had my chain slip while shifting the front derailleur and am always a bit hesitent. So I get to a point where I need to shift for optimal performance but am scared.

I also think I need to move my seat position back a bit.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

First T2 with my easy laces and I love them!!!
Run
  • 28m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1 to 2 still remains to be the hardest for me. I make my goal splits at Mile 1 and Mile 3 but the distance between mile 1 and mile 2 seems to take forever.

Probably skip at least one of the aid stations. I really didn't drink the water from all the stations, I just played with the cup which I am sure took some time.
Post race
Warm down:

A bit of walking and my stretches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still not sure how hard is to hard on the bike and swim.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race, especially that it was all women!!! All the participants, volunteers, and fans were very supported. A definite race for all triathletes in the Chicagoland area.

Last updated: 2005-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:25 | 750 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/289
Overall: 0/1672
Performance: Good
Suit: Tyr Tri shirt and shorts
Course: A zig-zag course at Centennial Beach, an old quarry pond. It was 3 time out and back. The turn close to the shore were so shallow that many of those in the race actually stopped swimming and walked around the buoys (life guard stations).
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:10 | 14.5 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: 2 lap loop on residential and commercial streets. On the "out" legs of the loop, especially the second loop, I had a strong headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:50 | 03.1 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Course: A loop through residential and commcerial streets. The roads were wide with not much tree cover. However, a few homes on the course put out their sprinkers which offered some much needed cooling off. The four aid stations on the course were great too!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-14 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Subject: Reebok Women's Triathlon

2005-06-14 10:51 AM
in reply to: #174544

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Reebok Women's Triathlon
Nice work Deanna. I saw you in the parking lot bright and early... I think you parked right near us. You did great, and your run splits are awesome. Nice work!!!
2005-06-14 10:58 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
great race!
2005-06-14 1:01 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Great race Deanna! I think the discrepancy might've been because the timing mat was up a ways from the water. That might've been the difference.
Nice run!
2005-06-14 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Thanks all!!

Whizz--I wish I would have seen you in transition. It might have eased the nerves a bit. Before a race I am always so focused on getting started that I don't see what is going on around me.

deanna
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reebok Women's Triathlon Rss Feed