The Cowtown
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 31s
Overall Rank = 3111/4777
Age Group = M Clydsdale
Age Group Rank = 165/311
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:30 and checked the weather. Temp was about 35 degrees, but I knew that it was going to get warmer, but wasn't sure just how fast. Debated on what to wear for about 30 minutes while I got my gear together, had a bowl of oatmeal and gpt all ready to go.

Finally decided to wear tights, UnderArmour long sleeve and wind jacket. brought a lighter weight long sleeve top as well.

T picked me up at about 6:30 and we headed off to the race. Got caught in traffic the last 1/2 mile to the parking garage, and was very concerned that we would miss the start. We arrived in the downtown area at 6:45 and finally got to the parking garage at 7:30 (the garage was less than 1/2 mile from the exit of the freeway... UGH)

While waiting in traffice, shed my warmups, and changed into the lighterweight short sleeved top.

That's about it.
Event warmup:

Jogging from the parking lot 3 blocks to the start.

Fortunately, they staggered the start a bit and so we got to the start corral at about 7:38 or so. We had about 5 minutes in the corral before the race actually started. Was glad for that.

Run
  • 2h 22m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall I was pleased with my performance, although I did miss my goal by about 5 minutes. I did stop at mile 8 completely for about 1.5 minutes as it was where the course split from the full marathon. T had stopped at the portapotty just before the split and I waited for him to catch back up. After a minute and a half I started up again.

Got a little nauseated at mile 6, but it passed and I was fine in that respect the rest of the race.

Pace fell off really badly after mile 8. While I felt pretty good cardiovascularly, the legs didn't want to keep moving very fast. This puzzled me. I did a 9:40 pace 8 miler last Saturday on a hilly course and felt really pretty good. I really fell off pace on this one. Don't really understand why.

What would you do differently?:

I definately chose the wrong clothes to wear. I got very warm on the back half of the course. Next time I'll opt for being cold on the first couple miles.

Keep my run training a bit more consistent. Perhaps I should have pushed a little faster on the first half in order to get further into the course before hitting the 'threshold'.

I still need to work on nutrition. I really struggle with getting nutrition in on during a race. Poweraide that I took at a couple stations resulted in me getting some stomach cramps. I did not take gels, gu or other suppliment items during the course, which was a mistake. For some reason I don't understand, I always cramp or gag on them while running.
It's not good, I know, but I've got to figure out how to manage nutrition better. I'm sure it was a contributing factor in todays performance.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off. Visited the trash can for a minute or two. Continued to walk it off, got some ice cream and ate that. Started to feel much better after that.

Took a shower, and met up with T who DNF'd due to ITB. Hung out with his family and a bunch of his freinds to came to jockstrap for him

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition. I've really got to work on this aspect of my running. I've always struggled with it, and today was not exception.

Clothing. I was overdressed and I got very warm on the back half of the race. Seem's like a little thing, but I definately felt it impacted my performance.

Event comments:

Finish activities area was not very well laid out. Especially in the area to get your finishers shirt.

Course not marked as well as it could have been. Needed mile markers that could be easily seen. I missed them on at least 4 or 5 mile markers.

Last updated: 2010-02-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:22:31 | 13.1 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 165/311
Overall: 3111/4777
Performance: Average
10K - Pace 9:59 Rank 2439 10M - Pace 10:24 Rank 2759
Course: This course was quite challenging for me. I like the course, but I need to train better for its challenges. Course starts out slightly downhill and is somewhat flat through the first 6 miles. Not bad, but at mile 6 you hit 'Hawkeye Hill' and it's a pretty significant clime from mile 6 to about mile 8. After mile 8 it levels off for a while and has a decent downhill at starting at about mile 10. Then it's mostly short hills and short downhills from their. Course presents a good challenge, but I considered it a pretty tough course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-02-28 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: The Cowtown - Half Marathon

2010-02-28 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2697741

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: The Cowtown - Half Marathon

Nice job on your race.

Figuring out clothing in the early seasons is a challenge, so is nutrition.  What works one day doesn't always work the next one. 

2010-02-28 10:47 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Congrats!  Nice race Brett!  Way to persevere and finish the race!  Not a bad pace based on your training and considering it wasn't all downhill like so many of our races are here   Sounds like it was a bit stressful getting to the start -- that probably didnt help -- but at least you made it.  Now you can cross off another 13.1 on your list of accomplishments!  Next time you'll have to do the full marathon distance again!  I'd like to see you get another one of those under your belt.  Just be sure to keep training hard and post a few more races this year!  And be sure to dress lighter next time -- it's better to err on the side of being too cold than too warm IMO.

I'm with you as far as eating while running is concerned too -- I gag on pretty much anything I try to eat while running, especially gu.  Something you might try next time that I used on my last marathon is mashed potatoes.  Someone suggested it to me and it really wasn't bad.  I think I felt the difference but I took them a little too late -- didn't take them until after mile 13, and didn't feel any "kick" until about mile 23 --  but they were super easy to eat-- I had two half-sandwich ziploc bags full of them, and they were made with a hint of salt and butter.  Just thought I'd throw out that suggestion...  I'll have to try a few things while training this time around to see what else might work.  Also if you come across anything good definitely let me know!

2010-03-01 9:26 AM

User image

Keller, Tx
Nice race!  It was a challenging course for me as well.  Where do you do your training?
2010-03-05 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2699499

User image

Veteran

nice RR.  the apparel was interesting for this one.  my favorite tip i read: "start out cold cause it will warm up fast!"  good race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown - Half Marathon Rss Feed