NTC
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 9s
Overall Rank = 4/
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6 AM. Ate a banana, eggs and some oatmeal and OJ. Then went back to bed till 7:30. Had some tea before I left the hotel around 8:15. Got to the race site about 8:30, checked in, set up then did my WU.
Event warmup:

10 min WU run on the first section of the run coarse which was very sandy. Then did about a 20 min bike on a portion of the course. Had about 15 -20 min before I started the race
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1760 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The race director said the water was too cold - which was BS - it was about 54 degrees which is fine in a wetsuit. I even went in the day before without a wetsuit! The elite race still held the swim - I tried to get into that race instead, but the RD said it was too late. Bummer - I would have most likely qualified for my elite card. Oh well.
Transition 1
  • 00m 22s
Comments:

All this was was running over the timing mat with my bike shoes and helmet already on and running to my bike. Unfortunately I forgot to turn my Garmin on before the start so missed the first few minutes of data and lost a couple of seconds fiddling with that while on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Turn on my Garmin before the race
Bike
  • 45m 37s
  • 18 miles
  • 23.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Since they cancelled the swim I decided to treat this race like a bike TT with a 5 mile run tacked onto the end. My legs were sore from doing water entry/exits yesterday -why did I think that was a good idea at the time? But, once I got moving I felt OK, but a little flat. They had the women go last and I started towards the front of the women's pack. I quickly passed most of the women right out of transition and a few men having trouble getting on their bikes. I got into a good groove and by the first U-turn I could see that I had about a 20 sec gap on the next female. By the second U turn I had built the lead up to about 30 sec. On the second lap I pushed the first 2/3rds then after the last U-turn took it easy going downhill and into T2 to set up for the run. I tried to take a couple of sips of water every 5 min on the bike.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Loosened my shoes before hoping off the bike, but kept them on while I ran into transition. Popped them off, took off my helmet and got my shoes on. Grabbed my hat and headed out of transition.

re-learn how to get on/off the bike with shoes on the bike.
Run
  • 37m 39s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

When I got off the bike my calves felt like they were going to explode since they were tight from all the water exit/entry drills from yesterday. It didn't help that the first 1/2 mile was in sand either. Luckily they started to loosen up by the time I hit the dirt trail but my gait still didn't feel as good as it should. Breathing was good - no asthma issues. I do remember thinking there should have been more water stops - I think there were only 2 which didn't seem like a lot. There were a fair amount of people who actually brought water bottles with them on the run - though that was a bit much but would have liked at least 1 more water stop. I also felt like I held back a little too much on the run - I had too much left at the finish.

Go a little harder and not do something that makes me sore the day before a race.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with people - the gal who was just behind me on the bike...she passed me on the run was really nice - turns out she is really speedy - just over 10 hours at IMAZ!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still gaining confidence on the run. Having the swim would have been nice too. While I liked the trail/sand run course I would have gone faster on pavement.

Event comments:

I was not that impressed with the organization of this race. 1 - they should have held the swim. 2. There should have been more water stations. 3. There was supposed to be an elite wave and a prize purse and there wasn't. 4. They didn't allow people to transfer to the elite race in the afternoon. 5. Awards and results were messed up at first.
I would do this race again if I was heading down to FLA for a training camp during the same time period, however I don't think I would just come down for the race. I wanted to go to race against elites and see how I matched up against them on the swim and the bike and unfortunately that did not happen.

Last updated: 2010-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1760 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:22
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:37 | 18 miles | 23.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: two loops, mainly flat with some mild rollers. There was one small climb with about a 4% grade. I was never close to getting out of the big ring.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:39 | 05 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The first 1/2 mile was in sand, then over a boardwalk, then on the road, then about 3 miles on a trail that was very sandy, then a pebbly trail for about 1/2 mile then the last 1/2 mile on pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No